Adding Seat belts to Schoolbuses

When children are sent off to school, we only wish for the best, especially when it comes to transportation on the school bus. Being a Junior in High School riding a school bus daily, and having a little brother in elementary school riding the bus every day without seat belts, I've really begun to worry about what will happen in the event of a sudden high-speed accident or a roll over accident.

Being as there is nothing to keep you strapped in the seat and stop you from being thrown from your seat, possibly sustaining a head injury if your head hits the roof while rolling over, riding in a school bus without seat belts is incredibly dangerous, and I do not understand why we don't require school buses to have them.

Therefore, I say that seat belts should be required on school buses and that student should be required to be strapped in. If they refuse, disciplinary action(s) can be requested or made by the driver.

Every morning, whether your child is a high school student or a middle schooler, you say bye to him as he goes into the school bus and travels to school. You aren't worried that the bus doesn't have a seatbelt. Why? Because you know that even without one, the bus is totally safe for your child. Hello, my name is Forever23 and I am here to bring forth the premise which is that adding seatbelts to school buses should not be mandatory. My ensuing roadmap will include first abrogating my opponents points and then divulging 2 of my own points into the debate.

Their first point was that without a seatbelt, a child can get hurt in the case of a car accident. But I disagree, they will not. Actually, according to the, the seats on school buses are padded, which makes them safe. In order to have a seatbelt, they need to be stiff. Having a stiff seat and a seatbelt is much more dangerous than having a padded seat and no seatbelt. Therefore, there is more danger in kids riding in stiff seats and seatbelts than there is in kids riding on padded seats but without seat belts.

Now let me divulge 2 of my own points into this debate.

My first assertion is that buses are much more safer than regular means of transportation. The reason we do have seat belts in cars is because they are more dangerous than buses. In a car, if you get into an accident, you have a larger chance of getting hurt. In buses, the chance of becoming injured is much less. "Transport Canada and the provinces do not require school buses to have seat belts," Roxane Marchand, senior media advisor with the agency, said in an email statement. "This is because compartmentalization " high-backed seats that are padded and closely spaced together " protects passengers in a crash."There were 3,684 injuries and 11 deaths in crashes on school buses in Canada between 2003 to 2012, Transport Canada notes in their National Collision Database.In the same period, there were nearly 1.34 million injuries and 22,397 deaths in crashes on Canadian roads in all other vehicles."Transport Canada has not deemed seat belts to be mandatory, and basically their rationale is that the school bus safety record is so excellent," said David Carroll, Legislation and Safety Consultant to the Ontario School Bus Association (OSBA). "A child is 16 times safer riding to school in a school bus than riding to school in a family car." This is very important because the implementation of seatbelts would be utterly insignificant and would not be helful to the school. As a result, the school will spend its money on something unnecessary.

My second assertion is that buses are bigger. Buses are big and if a car does hit, it will just slide on the side. No harm will be done to the passengers. The kids sitting is the school buses will yes, get to school late but they will clearly be safe and sound. According to transportcanada, "They"re highly visible and we have more skilled and better trained drivers," Carroll said. "And you have a vehicle that sits higher than other traffic " when most vehicles hit a school bus, they collide below the floor line."When a bus is hit from the front or the rear, kids are protected by the compartment " sort of like the way Christmas tree ornaments are protected in their boxes by those paper dividers."It doesn't require students to do anything other than sit in the seat with their legs ahead of them and not in the aisle," he said. "There"s not a lot of room between seats and that"s to reduce acceleration in a collision." This is very significant because nothing matters more than our safety. And implementing seatbelts can ruin something that is already good.

Thankyou, please vote opposition

The opposition argues that the padding on school buses provides safety to the students on-board. While the school buses typically do not actually get in an accident, when they do, in some cases the padding does provide the necessary safety. However, let's face the situation that in the event of a rollover accident or high-speed collision, those seats may not be enough, ESPECIALLY in a rollover accident. In a rollover accident, without the seat belt, you have the opportunity to end up hitting your head on a window, which may break on impact and cause severe injury, and possibly even paralysis or death.

When restrained in a seat belt, the children may be receiving minor abdominal and torso injuries, but decrease the risk of death. On average, 24 million children ride the school bus each day. Roughly 5 deaths occur and hundreds of thousands of injuries each year in the United States. With seat belts, these numbers can decrease significantly.

Hello again, this is Forever23 and I am here to bring forth my premise which is that we should not implement belts in school buses. My ensuing roadmap will include repudiating my opponents 2nd assertion since I have already nullified his 1st one, then restating my 2 points and possibly introducing another assertion into the debate.

They stated that there are many deaths on school buses due to the lack of belts. However, there are many more belts in cars, which do have belts. According to,
Throughout the world, roads are shared by cars, buses, trucks, motorcycles, mopeds, pedestrians, animals, taxis and other categories of travelers. Travel made possible by motor vehicles supports economic and social development in many countries. Yet each year, these vehicles are involved in crashes that are responsible for millions of deaths and injuries.
Consider the following:
"1.24 million people were killed on roadways around the world in 2010
"Each day, an estimated 3,400 people are killed globally in road traffic crashes involving cars, buses, motorcycles, bicycles, trucks, or pedestrians. Half of those people killed in crashes, globally, are pedestrians, motorcyclists, and cyclists.
"Road traffic injuries are estimated to be the eighth leading cause of death globally and the leading cause of death for young people aged 15""29.
"Current trends show that by 2030, road traffic injuries will become the fifth leading cause of death globally.
"Road traffic injuries place a huge economic burden on low- and middle-income countries and are estimated to cost more than 100
billion U.S. dollars per year.

Now, to quickly repeat my 2 assertions,

1. My first assertion is that buses are much more safer than regular means of transportation.
2. My second assertion is that buses are bigger.

My third and final assertion is that implementing seatbelts would be very expensive. The implementation of seatbelt in every single bus would be very expensive. With schools already struggling to maintain their budget, they can not afford this change. There is no feasible way for this change to happen. NHTS and University of Alabama concluded that installing seat belts would add anywhere from $8,000 to $15,000 to the cost of a new bus while having little to no impact on safety.
Seat belts would also take up room that's now used for seats, meaning "fewer children can be accommodated on each row," according to the Alabama study. That could require school systems to increase their bus fleets by as much as 15 percent just to transport the same number of pupils, it suggested. Seat belts would have to be phased in over a decade at a minimum cost of $117 million per state. That cost could be prohibitive, "especially when the nation is dealing with an economic downturn," the study said. This is quite significant since with this change, the school budget would go down. Since the schools will need money for this change, they will also be required to spend less money on things such as textbooks and other learning utensils. That would be a DETRIMENT to your CHILDS LEARNING.

We have 2 uncomparable things here. Seatbelts in buses or your childs education. It is safer for your child to be on a padded seat in a buses than it is for your child to be in your car which you and him use practically everyday. However, with the belts we have education at risk. And I am sure that you value your childs educations above all.

Thank you, please vote opp.
Posted by Gerbilnesss 11 months ago
I would vote for the Instigator, but I am not eligible yet. So You can pretend that I voted.

The bus ride to school every day is painful for me. My bus travels over an overpass, on a highway and two bridges. All of the bumps send kids off of their seats, (sometimes into the aisle!) Anyways, it is dangerous to be hopping up and down the entire way to school. A seat belt would benefit me because I would feel a lot safer knowing that every bump and road change, (road pavement to bridge pavement) would be a lot less painful and more comfortable. (I'm not lying about the bridges, I live in Maryland, USA) Search 'Kent Island' on google

Thank you for reading my comment and hopefully accepting my vote somehow. :)