Ato
Ra1pH_Na8oR

Adding sprint to the Halo series was the right move by the developers

Started: 6/9/2015 Category: Games

Ato

Pro

Contender should argue that the addition of sprint to Halo was the wrong move by the developers.
Ra1pH_Na8oR

Con

Since your opening statement in already conflicting your title, I must ask are you arguing for the addition of sprinting or against the addition of sprinting in the Halo series? Please clarify and we shall begin?
Ato

Pro

I don't see any conflict. I'm arguing that the addition of sprint was the right move by the developers, I then said the contender should argue that it was the wrong move by the developers. By right/wrong I mean what the developer should/shouldn't do. I want the contender to give reasons for why the developer shouldn't have added sprint, and then I will explain why those reasons are faulty, and why the reasons for the addition of sprint trump your reasons.
Ra1pH_Na8oR

Con

My apologies. I had already assumed based on the title that I would be arguing the opposite and seemed to have skipped the first 3 words of the opening statement leaving me confused. Once again, my apologies.

I general it is very common for new features to be added as a game series progresses. The sprint feature in Halo is especially controversial since the ability to sprint becomes such a primary game-play maneuver. The sprint feature should not have been added to maintain the classical integrity of the game. Otherwise developers should have accounted for the possibility of conflicting opinions by adding a toggle mode for sprint/no sprint. It is obvious this mode should have been incorporated, considering several mods have been created by alternative developers specifically for this toggle.
Ato

Pro

Great, thanks. My argument is that most players want sprint, so that's why the developers should've added it.

Whatever your definition of "integrity" is, most players do not value that over sprint. The main proof of this is the Halo Community Feedback Program, which is run by a Microsoft research team of psychologists. Only 11% of the 10,000 HCFP participants felt that Halo 5 should not have sprint: https://www.halowaypoint.com...
And 77% of players voted in favor or strongly in favor of sprint: https://twitter.com...

Additional evidence to show that players do indeed value sprint over the classical "integrity" comes from the comment section on this Halo Follower video: https://www.youtube.com...
A quick scroll through the comments and you'll see much more support for sprint than against it. Here's just one example comment:

"There are more people that like sprint than don't. Smart to keep it."

That comment currently has 86 upvotes (which means there were much more upvotes than that since a downvote lowers that number, i.e. that comment has an 86/0 upvote/downvote ratio). And note that this is the most popular fan-made Halo channel. Generally viewers of this channel's videos are going to be more hardcore, long-time Halo fans who've been playing since the older classic Halo games, yet they still value sprint over that classic integrity.

As for whether or not the developers should add an option to toggle off sprint, that is a different argument , one that I can agree with. They're doing that with Halo 5, but it should not and will not be the default way to play. I want to argue against one of the many anti-sprinters who think sprint should have never been added or that sprint-off should be the default way to play.
Ra1pH_Na8oR

Con

Well, I'm afraid I may have let you down if you where hoping to argue with a hardcore anti-sprinter. Most arguments against tend to be either simple and anti-progressive to the series. Personally, I accept that one may need to adapt and revise game-play styles as a series progresses. But I do love a good challenge.

Obviously statistics don't lie, but 11% is actually fairly significant. The number I found was 11% of 19,000, which ends up being 2,090 people in the test group.

Here's a mod video with download: http://www.artofclutch.com...

And reinforcing my argument for a toggle setting: http://www.eurogamer.net...

Also I would argue that some of the dislike toward sprint may depend on the game-play style of the operator. Perhaps a player that camps a bit more would dislike the fact that someone may run up quickly and take them out. Or the opposite may be true, that a player may be a bit too "gung ho" and might rush into an engagement before the shield regenerated. Either way the dynamic has changed significantly and that's what I mean by "classical integrity". Anytime a major change is made to a series, people are gonna be upset because it's different that the original.

Also I think most of the reason sprint/no sprint is argued so much is cause it wasn't added till Halo 4. Take for example, Battlefield 1942 did not have a run or sprint button, Battlefield 2 Bad Company added a sprint or run. What I'm saying is that maybe sprint isn't all that bad, but waiting till the 4th installment may have been the real mistake.
Ato

Pro

Ato forfeited this round.
Ra1pH_Na8oR

Con

Pro has forfeited, please vote for Con.
Ato

Pro

Sorry, I totally forgot to post last round. I'm going to set an alarm on my phone so that won't happen again in future debates. Fortunately though, for this debate my opponent hasn't really made a case against my argument. The only statement he made that was actually arguing against my proposition was when he said:

"The sprint feature should not have been added to maintain the classical integrity of the game."

I then refuted that by pointing to data which shows that most players clearly want sprint.

Since Con is supposed to argue that adding sprint was the wrong move, a counter-argument to that data would need to either dispute that data and/or explain why the developers shouldn't have added sprint despite most of their players wanting it.

Instead, Con did neither of those. He continued about a toggle option for sprint, which I already explained is a different argument that I can agree with. Con was supposed to argue that adding sprint was the wrong move, not that they should add a toggle. He then hypothesized about why some players don't like sprint, but that is mostly irrelevant. I know the reasons that some players don't like sprint. He needs to explain why those players should be catered to over the vast majority of players. He then backtracks and says, "maybe sprint isn't all that bad, but waiting till the 4th installment may have been the real mistake."

So instead of arguing that sprint should have never been added, he concedes that maybe they should have added sprint sooner in the series. That's a far cry from the original argument.

Ra1pH_Na8oR

Con

In spite of a rather non-progressive opinion, I believe I made some rather noteworthy statements. Overall, my opponent only made one decent point regarding the 11% statistic. I offered my rebuttal to that point and made several other points of my own. It appears that we met in the middle on the point of adding a toggle setting for sprint and the idea that 343 should have acted sooner in adding sprint as to not allow core users to became set in their ways.

After all, perhaps this argument isn't best as a whiny "no your wrong" . . . "no I'm right", but instead a criticism or a defense for the addition. I believe I offered a thoughtful criticism and analysis, while my opponent skipped a round and merely wanted to be right. Even if you do favor the sprint addition, please vote for "Con" for producing a creative and original argument and criticism.