audraxheartsxyou
person_16

Adding the line "one state under God" to the Texas Pledge

Con Tied Pro

audraxheartsxyou

Con

Basically, they just added the words "one state under God". They shouldn't have added this considering school students have such strong opinions on God and what it means to them. Being a high school student, I know of quite a few people that don't believe in God or have a different belief. It shouldn't have been added.
person_16

Pro

I don't believe that your school system is attempting to force a religion on any of the students. Take into consideration the founding of this country; America. Our "founding fathers" have left Great Britain for many reasons, but one of the main reasons being to escape religious persecution. Not to mention, they made this voyage to the New World in the name of God. Just take a look at any number of historical documents, including the Constitution or even the Mayflower Compact. All of the above mention "God" because they believed in Him. I suppose you could say that your school is just taking that into consideration. If you just accept this change and just say the pledge as a part of your daily ritual, than it probably won't bother you so much.

Besides, I don't see you posting a complaint against the "In God We Trust" on the backs of the One Dollar Bill.

It was great arguing with you about this topic. I'm curious as to your response. ^_^
audraxheartsxyou

Con

I never said that I had a problem with it I said multiple students had a problem with it. Yes, our school could be taking it into consideration but WITHOUT taking the students beliefs into consideration. The "In God We Trust" on the back of our dollar has been there since before we were born, and kids these days don't exactly look on those dollars and say oh well this mentions God so I'm not going to use it. But when its about having to place your hand over your heart and saying One State Under God, you're saying that you pledge to your state under God. If a student chooses to stand there quietly, sometimes they get scolded for not doing what they're supposed to do. But how can they get in trouble for something they don't believe in?
person_16

Pro

Allow me to make something clear. When I said something about "you having a problem with it" I wasn't necissarily referring to YOU specifically. It was more of a generaliztion term. I didn't mean for it to sound so personal, I apologize.

Now then, on to the argurment.

We have been saying the "One Nation Under God" in the Pledge for as long as I can remember, (with some debate as to whether or not it should be removed). So, what exactly is your point about the dollar?

We are not necessarily pledging to God. We are pledging to the nation that was founded by believers of God. If you don't believe in the same God as the founding fathers, then don't pledge your loyalty to Him. But at least pledge your loyalty to America. Unless the people you are referring to are "Anti-Americans" as well as Atheists or non-believers of the Christian faith.
audraxheartsxyou

Con

But this also goes along with "prayer in school". People have the choice to say it, but then afterwards people are accused of not saying it and it starts a debate in class. It also goes along with religion in school. Teachers are considerably not supposed to teach about the gospel.

Anyways, that is who I am referring to. Non-believers or Atheists of some sort. From what I remember we were never taught about the Texas pledge, but we were taught about the Pledge of Allegiance. If we are not taught about something how can we know that believers of God founded this "state"? Considering it's already added to the pledge, they're not going to start a rally to take it out. I just disagree with the fact that it was added in the first place.
person_16

Pro

Well, it's been added. And since there isn't really anything you can do about it (unless you plan to boycott school), would just accepting it be an option for those people?

The Texas Pledge is just like the Pledge of Alligiance in how you are pledging alligiance to your state or to your country. If you don't want anything to do with God, don't pledge to Him. The new phrase in the pledge isn't meant to hurt anyone's beliefs. I'm not sure what your school's motivation is for adding said line, but it definately can't be to offend anyone. But as to how strongly you or your friends are against the admission of the new line in the pledge is directly proportional to how much you LET yourself care about it.

I'm not necessarily IN FAVOR for it. I'm one of those people who doesn't really care and says it anyway because it's a form of respect for your state and country.

I'm just arguing because it's fun.

Sorry that my argument at this time is, well, poorly constructed. I'm currently trying to type this argument and listen to my 3rd period teacher at the same time. Not the greatest multitasker.
Posted by person_16 9 years ago
person_16
Well, I'm sorry but I hate it when people act like know-it-alls! It's a pet peeve of mine...
Posted by audraxheartsxyou 9 years ago
audraxheartsxyou
Wow,

and i was just trying to bring up a point about pledges.

Nice comments.
Posted by person_16 9 years ago
person_16
Harlan, shut up. That isn't what I'm saying.

What I'm saying is that you all need to get over it. If what a bunch of you say is true and you'll get in trouble if you don't say the pledge, then say it just to stay out of trouble, not to pledge devotion to your country or state since many of you have such a huge problem with it. Just quit bitching about it all the time, you sound like terrorists!

Put words in MY mouth will you, you smart a$$...
Posted by Harlan 9 years ago
Harlan
What person is trying to say:

Shut up and do as authority tells you to, and blindly pledge your ultimate servitude to them because everybody else does, and it won't hurt you. Don't question stuff, just do as your told, because it seems like it won't be immediately harmfulkl to you.
Posted by person_16 9 years ago
person_16
Good lord, just say the pledge! It's not going to kill you!
Posted by dalzuga 9 years ago
dalzuga
"stop being so sensitive about a pledge"
if i'm being forced to recite something i don't necessarily believe in, trust me, i'm going to be VERY sensitive. there are schools out there that force kids to recite it.
Posted by audraxheartsxyou 9 years ago
audraxheartsxyou
I'm just stating a fact about a problem that has been around for a while.

First class education.
i'm sorry if you're not familiar with the school i go to but we have one of the easiest curriculum's and a really low failure rate.
Explain that one.
Posted by Voltaire2.0 9 years ago
Voltaire2.0
I feel duty-bound to point out that the U.S. Constitution does not mention "God," "Jesus," "Our Lord," "Our Savior," or any other term for deity. Anywhere.

In fact, the only thing the Constitution says about religion is that Congress should not establish a national religion, and that there should be no "religious test" to hold political office.
Posted by rkmcdaniel 9 years ago
rkmcdaniel
First of all, when I said "you" I was not referring to you, yourself. As you will come to realize, when a person uses "you" in a debate it is referring to a non-existent 3rd party. Which is what I was referring to. A non existent 3rd party. Secondly. 13 year olds should not be able to drop out of school because they don't like homework, or for any other reason; especially because four words were added to a pledge. They do not know what is best for them. They think they do, but they don't. That is why it is the job of the parents to decide what is best for them. Finally, since when are people in public schools "forced" to say the pledge of allegiance? There is no public school that will bring punishment against a person who does not pledge. If there is one, please let me know.
Posted by Harlan 9 years ago
Harlan
I am saying that IF you are to force someone to stand for a pledge, or say "under god", the attendance of the school should be voluntary, in fact no matter the case school should be voluntary.

"So you would rather not go to school, and live with your parents for the rest of your life?"

PLease do not drag me into this, sir. Here on this debate.org, let's try to look at this objectively. Regardless oof my personall life and schooling, which you should not concern yourslef with, School should not be required by law.
Vote Placed by dalzuga 9 years ago
dalzuga
audraxheartsxyouperson_16Tied
Vote Placed by griffinisright 9 years ago
griffinisright
audraxheartsxyouperson_16Tied
Vote Placed by oboeman 9 years ago
oboeman
audraxheartsxyouperson_16Tied
Vote Placed by magicmaester 9 years ago
magicmaester
audraxheartsxyouperson_16Tied
Vote Placed by Intellicast414 9 years ago
Intellicast414
audraxheartsxyouperson_16Tied
Vote Placed by Voltaire2.0 9 years ago
Voltaire2.0
audraxheartsxyouperson_16Tied
Vote Placed by Pidge25 9 years ago
Pidge25
audraxheartsxyouperson_16Tied
Vote Placed by sluggerjal 9 years ago
sluggerjal
audraxheartsxyouperson_16Tied
Vote Placed by willact723 9 years ago
willact723
audraxheartsxyouperson_16Tied
Vote Placed by kels1123 9 years ago
kels1123
audraxheartsxyouperson_16Tied