debatefreak22
ethopia619

Adopting a pet from an animal shelter is better than buying one from a pet shop?

debatefreak22

debatefreak22

Pro

I need practice for my debate class.
My 1st point
1st) You'll save a life
Did you know that 3-4 million cats and dogs die a year in shelters in America because no one will adopt them?

2) Fees are less expensive
Another advantage to shelter adoptions is that the fees are usually much less than the purchase price of an animal from a pet store or breeder. And your new pet is more likely to be vaccinated, de-wormed, and spayed or neutered.

3) You won't be supporting puppy mills and pet stores
Define "puppy mill" - A terrible place where puppies are bred in mass (often under severely inhumane conditions) for sale to dealers & pet stores.
www.caninest.com/dog-terminology/

http://www.humanesociety.org...
ethopia619

Con

Greetings debatefreak22:
I will be debating you on this topic, (even though I will definitely lose because of the topic)

1) Now, for you 2nd point, even though the fees are less expensive, wouldn't you want a new animal instead of an old, tortured one? I mean, you can't teach an old dog new tricks. How would you teach an old dog to flip over? In the pound where you adopt them, it is easy for the animal to catch a sickness without you even noticing. Therefore, it is much safer to buy a clean pet from the pet store.

2) Now you stated, "You won't be supporting puppy mills and pet stores". Some people make a living from selling pets that they raise. This is the Recession. You could help the person in charge of the store by buying a pet. Think of it: You make a living from working in a pet store. If no one buys your pets, you would not have food to eat.

Thank you for reading, debatefreak22
debatefreak22

Pro

Thank you for debating me!

Now to rebuttal your argument against mine.
1) Now not all animals in the shelter are old or abused. Some just are only strays and just had puppies. I use to watch Animal Cops (I think it was called) on Animal Planet. My arguement agaist yours is 100% true. But I will agree with you and say most animals in the shelter are abused and old.

Now my second rebuttal
2) But if I were in a recession I would want a real job and not be a horrible abusing "animal breeder." I would rather get a job and not go to jail because I am abusing poor animals. Now that pet store... I really can't debate that because most pet places do not know where the animals are coming from and it is a real job. But you can also get a job from at an animal shelter and still doing a good deed to animals.
ethopia619

Con

Okay, facts now:

1. First of all, you have agreed to me on one argument, thank you.

2. Now, being an animal breeder isn't that bad because some people specialize in animals and business. In an animal shelter, you volunteer. You also would have to go to college to get a job at an animal shelter. Some people don't have enough money to do that. Therefore, an animal breeder could be your last choice. It's like a choice: Starve or make a pet store.

3. Who wants strays? They get a bunch of fleas and the fleas get into your house. Who wants that? Common sense.

4. Some pets who were adopted just eat and sleep. They will just eat and sleep. They also lick you a lot, which could pass germs. They barely know anything outside of the animal shelter. Imagine your adopted dog being sprayed by a skunk. If you buy a new dog, you could train the dog and you could have some fun at least. They could play with you when you are bored. You could teach it to be quiet when you recite something.
debatefreak22

Pro

The only part I agreed on was that there is nothing wrong working at a pet shop.

First of all you can get rid of fleas anyways. Second of all not ALL strays have fleas and when strays go to a shelter they get a bath so they will not have all those fleas you are so upset about. Once again if they got strayed by a skunk the people who work or volunteer at an animal shelter WILL give these animals baths.

Next you said that some pets from animal shelters only eat and sleep. Well this is not true. I adopted an animal from an animal shelter and she is very happy and she loves walks and play fetch and just loves being with me in general. So your general statement is false. Finally you said the dog will lick you and pass germs. Obviously you never heard the statement "Dogs have a cleaner mouth then humans."

Thank you for the debate!
ethopia619

Con

Hey debatefreak22,

1)First of all, I stated, "Some pets from animal shelter only eat and sleep." Some. Key point. Your dog isn't that. I mean "some". My friend's cousin adopted a dog and it only eats and sleeps, which is also what happened to my uncle's dog. Therefore, it is not false. It is very much true.

2) You have also stated that there is nothing wrong about working at a pet shop. Therefore, your round 2 argument of abusing animals is false.

Thank you debatefreak22 for starting this debate. Thank you to whoever will read or vote for this debate. Thank you.
Posted by ethopia619 6 years ago
ethopia619
Thanks losedotexe, and can I call you Eevee?
Posted by debatefreak22 6 years ago
debatefreak22
Thank you for the help losedotexe! :)
Posted by losedotexe 6 years ago
losedotexe
Also, Ethopia619 ; Never be intimidated by the resolved. If your arguments are strong, most people on this site, and in debate contests, will be voting on the strength of your arguments, not the resolved.

If you want proof ; theLwerd on this website won a debate on the PRO side of 'if a tree falls in a forest, it does not make a sound'.
Posted by losedotexe 6 years ago
losedotexe
A bit of advice for all both of you ; arguments should be a bit more in depth. You are doing excellent getting the point across, but what most consider fluff is actually pretty important ; it's the fat of your argument. Also, evidence is key ; basically, you want to write and inform as if the reader has NO clue what you are talking about. Reason being, some people don't ; others NEED to see what YOUR view is (for example, the definition of a 'pet shop' could be anything from a petsmart, to a puppy mill.

Other than that, just work using evidence or heavy rhetoric to beef up the arguments ; I'm excited to watch both of you on this site, :)
Posted by ethopia619 6 years ago
ethopia619
Hey debatefreak22, I'm also practicing for debate class too.
Posted by debatefreak22 6 years ago
debatefreak22
By "If I were in a recession" I am still living at home in high school
Posted by debatefreak22 6 years ago
debatefreak22
Thanks. I was trying to find something easy. I guess its not easy in your case.
Posted by ethopia619 6 years ago
ethopia619
nice topic, though I can't find an argument for that
Posted by debatefreak22 6 years ago
debatefreak22
Oops. I this is my first time using this... I did not know that was going to be my first argument.. :(
Vote Placed by debatefreak22 6 years ago
debatefreak22
debatefreak22ethopia619Tied
Vote Placed by lovelife 6 years ago
lovelife
debatefreak22ethopia619Tied
Vote Placed by sherlockmethod 6 years ago
sherlockmethod
debatefreak22ethopia619Tied