TheLastMan
NewSoul95

Adoption is not the solution to abortion

TheLastMan

TheLastMan

Pro

I am new to this site. This is going to be my first debate. Note:This is not a pro-life or anti-abortion vs pro-choice argument. Being Pro, I shall argue for the resolution. I shall defend the position that adoption is not the solution to abortion. Con will argue against the resolution. Con must present reasons for why adoption is the solution to abortion.
Definitions:
Ordinary dictionary definitions are used for this debate, with context determining the appropriate choice from multiple definitions.
Adoption-To take into one's family through legal mean and raise as one's own child.
Abortion-The deliberate termination of a human pregnancy.
Solution-an action or process of solving a problem
Acceptance
This round is for acceptance, clarification of the resolution, and definitions. If Con does not agree with my basic interpretation of the resolution, he is to negotiate changes in the comments before accepting. Arguments begin in Round 2.
Index:
Round 1- Acceptance
Round 2-Opening Arguments and rebuttal
Round 3-Rebuttal
Round 4-Conclusive Statements
NewSoul95

Con

I accept your definitions and interpretations.
TheLastMan

Pro

Thank you NewSoul95 for accepting the challenge. Now, I shall present my case.
I dispute the idea that adoption "accomplishes the same result." That is false. Adoption requires a woman to carry her pregnancy to term and give birth. This can have detrimental effects on a woman's life, health and sanity as well as other negative repercussions (eg. financial). Statistic shows that 40% of ALL pregnant women experience health problems, and 15% of women endure complications that are considered life threatening (http://www.thelizlibrary.org...) . Adoption is indeed a possible alternative. But it is not realistic to propose that all unwanted babies can be put up for adoption. Even if a family can put the child up for adoption, this may not make the child's life any better, nor the mother's life. Once a mother has given birth to the child, there is an immediate emotional attachment. This makes it so much harder for the mother to put the child up for adoption. Also, just because a child is adopted into a more capable family, does not mean he will live a good life. Many foster homes are corrupt, and many adopted children are unhappy with their life. There are not enough parents willing to adopt children, meaning "unwanted" babies will be placed in orphanages at the expense of tax payers. Our government quite literally cannot afford this expense, and the mental and emotional toll on these orphans can be irreparably harmful.
NewSoul95

Con

NewSoul95 forfeited this round.
TheLastMan

Pro

Extend all arguments.
NewSoul95

Con

NewSoul95 forfeited this round.
TheLastMan

Pro

Extend. My opponent forfeited. Vote Pro.
NewSoul95

Con

NewSoul95 forfeited this round.
Posted by TheLastMan 3 years ago
TheLastMan
My point is that adoption is indeed a possible alternative. It is not realistic to propose that all unwanted babies can be put up for adoption.
Posted by TheLastMan 3 years ago
TheLastMan
Not a proper alternative to abortion. I see several flaws in this alternative.
Posted by themohawkninja 3 years ago
themohawkninja
What exactly do you mean by "the solution"? Are you saying that adoption is not an alternative (or at least, not a viable/correct) alternative to abortion?
Vote Placed by STALIN 3 years ago
STALIN
TheLastManNewSoul95Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro presented tons of arguments. Con just FF and said nothing throughout the debate. Points go to Pro since Con FF.
Vote Placed by williamfoote 3 years ago
williamfoote
TheLastManNewSoul95Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro was more convincing and Con forfeited so Pro gets the better conduct vote. Con only had one sentence which was grammatically correct. Pro had a grammar error in round 2. "...alternative. But it is not..." This sentence should be a comma then the conjunction rather than period conjunction. If this is how he intended the structure of the statement to be then a comma would be required after the "But".