Calvinator205
SocialismBeatsGreed

Adrian Peterson is the best running back in the NFL.

Started: 1/19/2014 Category: Sports

Calvinator205

Pro

Adrian Peterson is the best because of many reasons.

1.On December 17, Peterson played in his first Monday Night Football game, where he had 78 yards rushing, 17 yards receiving and 2 TDs. The next day he was named as the starting running back for the 2008 NFC Pro Bowl team. On January 2, he was named The Associated Press NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year.

2.On February 10, 2008, Peterson won the 2008 NFL Pro Bowl MVP award with 16 carries for 129 yards rushing along with 2 TDs. The 129 yards rushing was the 2nd most in Pro Bowl history. He was the first rookie since Marshall Faulk in 1994 to win the Pro Bowl MVP award. Peterson and Faulk are currently the only NFL players to win both the NFL Pro Bowl MVP and Rookie of the Year awards in the same year. Peterson finished in second place in rushing yards (1341) in the 2007 season behind LaDainian Tomlinson, who finished with 1474 rushing yards.

3.He has broken 9 NFL records including Most yards in a single game, most 60 yard+ TDs in a career, most 50 yard+ runs in a season, most rushing yards in a calendar month and most rushing yards in an eight game period.
SocialismBeatsGreed

Con

Preface: I would just like to open by saying hello to my opponent, to the viewers, and to the voters, as well as thanks to my opponent for issuing the open challenge of this debate.

Introduction: My position in this debate will be against Pro's position, and more specifically I will be arguing that Adrian Peterson is not definitively the best running back (RB) in the league, by using at least one of the following methods: 1) Disproving Pro's arguments to the contrary, 2) Proving that it is impossible to objectively know if he is or is not the best RB in the league, and 3) proving that there is a better RB in the league. If I accomplish any of those goals, I will have proven my position above that of the opponent, and it is my belief that I should thus win the debate.

A. Rebuttal of Pro's 1st Reason:
Pro's first argument states Adrian Peterson's statistics in a single football game on December 17th(from 2007?), then lists accomplishments he recieved, namely his inclusion in the 2008 Pro Bowl and the award of NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year. It does NOT compare these statistics and awards to other players in the NFL, nor does it explain why these statistics and awards prove that he is the best Running Back in the NFL. I therefore fail to recognize this argument as a valid argument, and believe that Pro failed to meet his burden of proof with this argument.

B. Rebuttal of Pro's 2nd Reason:
Pro's second argument lists more statistics and awards that are all fairly dated (from 2007-2008, nearly 6 years ago.). He still fails to prove that these statistics are indeed relevant in this debate. Quoting numbers and awards is fine - but since he does not even attempt to show WHY these statistics are meaningful, I still do not believe he has fulfilled his BoP.

C. Rebuttal of Pro's 3rd Reason:
Like the rest of Pro's arguments, this reason fails to show that these are meaningful statistics(or in this case, records.) I am forced to sound like a broken record here, because all of the arguments are glaringly similar in that there seems to be no particular reason why they are included in this debate. Furthermore, they don't even show that he has any recent accomplishments

I am running out of time to post this (5 minutes left), so I will just do a quick summary of my rebuttals.

1. Pro has not proven that any of his stated facts are relevant to this debate. He has used extremely little comparative statistics to other players, and completely avoided giving reasons as to why any of his reasons made AP the greateast RB in the NFL.
2. Most if not all of Pro's information is from 2007-2008, data which does not prove that he still holds the talent that he did in 2007-2008.

In my next post, I will hopefully have time to address not only why Pro's argument is baseless but also other players in the league that may be better than him or the subjectivity of any NFL player comparison that makes it impossible to accurately say one player is the best.

To my opponent - good luck. To everyone else - Vote Con. :)

~!SBG
Calvinator205

Pro

Calvinator205 forfeited this round.
SocialismBeatsGreed

Con

I will simply extend my rebuttals and save any counterarguments for the last round.

Thanks everyone.
Calvinator205

Pro

Calvinator205 forfeited this round.
SocialismBeatsGreed

Con

My opponent completely fell short of his BoP. He never connected his statements to actual arguments. He had evidence, but never connected it to a line of reasoning where that evidence would make Adrian Peterson the best running back in the league.

He also forefeited nearly every round of the debate, which I will take to mean that he has conceded defeat.

Now, I will hand the reigns over to voters, as I feel my duty to show that Pro didn't meet his BoP is clear and apparent.