terrorizedorphan1
idonotbelievey0u

Adults should not compare their childrens lives to their own childhood

idonotbelievey0u

terrorizedorphan1

Pro

Children in today's world continuously hear from their parents and other like adults about how they lived their childhood and compare their children's lifestyles to theirs when they were children, I believe that this should not happen and that the youth should be allowed to model their own lifestyles without being compared to that of their parents because of differing lifestyles.
As Opposition you are required to provide a burden of proof and the last round shall be rebuttal and summary only (As in British Parliamentary)
And First round is only acceptance and statement of your burden of proof
Best of Luck
idonotbelievey0u

Con

I accept. Questions, are you sure that we can't do rebuttals in the 2nd or the 3rd round?? That's kind of difficult, how can we defend our sides if we can't even just deny or rebut a false point that we can possibly create? You get my point right? Okay, you're the one who created this debate so I know you have the right. I was just trying to see if this debate can be better if it's not for those rules, I'm not trashing those rules but it's just that.... I know you know what I mean.

Okay, let me start ;)
As the cons of this debate I stand firm to my claim that adults should have the right to compare their children's lives to their own childhood. Children or even teenagers of this generation clearly need guidance. There are so many factors that affect the children's lifestyle today. I'll be mentioning one, technology. In our further arguments I'll explain why this factor can cause changes for us, the youth. These changes may be in our mental, psychological, social, physical or even spiritual aspect. Furthermore I'll expand my argument in the upcoming rounds, that's why I won't be mentioning too much in my burden of proof.

I, myself am a teenager, my parent's do compare their life before to our lives right now, I once hated it when they do that, but I realized that they have a point, that they have the right. GOOD LUCK my friend and may the odds be ever in our favor.

Let the debate commence! :D
terrorizedorphan1

Pro

So Firstly I am sorry about my lacking instructions/restrictions but what I meant by that is that round 2 and 3 you can still give rebuttal it is just that in the last round you cannot bring any positive matter into the debate, mainly because it is not fair, so sorry about that.
Now on to my actual arguments, in today's debate I will be looking at:
Adult's childhood in comparison to ours
And secondly Adults influence on our youth and the pressure that is applied to them as well as the importance of children needing to develop their own self persons.

So let me start with Adult's childhood in comparison to ours.
Our parents cannot compare their childhood to ours because firstly they lived in different circumstances, they did not have the technology that we have today, the ability to have the power of information at our fingertips, the peer pressure that is applied to us by our friends and family to succeed and do well, they lived in different circumstances and I'm fairly certain you must of heard of how they used to spend their time outdoors? well we can spend our time outdoors as well but I don't think that we need our parents to tell us whether or not we should spend more time outdoors or what to do, surely we can decide with our lives as to what we should do? after all we are becoming more educated people than our parents were at our age after all we are debating right now about issues like this, I am fairly certain that they were not provided the opportunities to exchange knowledge like we can right now, and because of these differing times, knowledge availability and technology at hand I beg to propose
idonotbelievey0u

Con

Adults have the right to compare their childhood to ours, even though they lived in different circumstances. You mentioned about technology. In today's world technology is all out, we cannot deny that people are abusing it, including us, the youth. Adults have less technology in their time which means there is less abuse. My point is that, the reason why they may compare both childhoods is that they want their children to avoid too much usage of what the world created. Saying that they don't have Internet before that's why they go outside to do something productive doesn't literally mean that a teenager should do that as well, they are only trying to say that enough facing the monitor and surfing the net.

"well we can spend our time outdoors as well but I don't think that we need our parents to tell us whether or not we should spend more time outdoors or what to do" -, I know, parent's interference is difficult but that's not the purpose of childhood comparison. When our parents narrate their activities before that doesn't mean that they are dictating what we should do but they are trying to tell us what we should not do. They've been there before so they know what they are saying. After all, it's for our own sake anyways.

Comparing both childhoods is not a dictation but guidance for us the youth.

"surely we can decide with our lives as to what we should do?"-, Not all the time, after all, we're still young (children, right?). Not all of our decisions are matured enough. That's why we get our parents to compare their childhood to ours, to learn better choices and decisions that they've done before.

"after all we are becoming more educated people than our parents were at our age "-, More educated people, agreed, but are we more mannered than our parents were? Not all educated person are well-mannered. In our parent's time, there are less influences that could alter their behavior. We are more educated but not matured enough to make the decisions our parents can make.

Even though I am still a teenager, I believe that my parents have the right to give me guidance not dictation through comparing their childhood to ours. They are more matured, they've experienced what we are experiencing and they certainly know what they're doing. Childhood comparison is not taking away of freedom my friend. If you were a parent, would you allow your children to choose their own decisions? In a world when technology is more chaotic than it is right now, would allow them to be slaves of their own choices? Why not give them guidance? How? Simple, by telling them that you, as a parent know what you are doing, protecting them, for their own sake and guiding them through narrating your childhood before.
terrorizedorphan1

Pro

Okay so firstly, as much as I have to say that advice is important, I have to point out that firstly pre-adolescent children do not fully comprehend what their parents are trying to tell them as what you have seen with what I have just said in my first arguement and secondly it has been proven that children do not learn lessons or follow their parents advise without their parents being able to back their sayings with actions and when you think that through it is true, when our parents tell us not to touch the cookies on the oven tray because it is hot do you think the pre adolescent 5 year old will listen to his mom? No his curiosity will get him to touch it and he will burn his hand, alternatively his mother could show him that it is hot and that is why he shouldn't touch it because he will burn, so in conclusion of this arguement children do not listen to what their parents say majority of the time so why should they heed any advise from their parents when they're relating a story from their childhood?
Secondly your arguement on how childrens stories are just there to guide us and prevent us from doing bad things, well firstly as I pointed out they don't help if they children don't listen to t and sometimes the best lessons are ones learnt by themselves for example going out partying the day before school and having to go to school the next day the children would have to suffer the hangover and realize their mistake and not doing it again but if the parents just told them that would be the consequence they might not fully comprehend the consequences of their actions. And secondly many a time the children might misinterpret their pants intention when they tell their children of their story and this could provide pressure on these children after all the amount of pressure on us to day is extremely high and we don't need our parents there to tell us stories of their childhood to ours in comparison.
idonotbelievey0u

Con

" I have to point out that firstly pre-adolescent children do not fully comprehend what their parents are trying to tell them" - Are we just going to let them make have their own ways? Or our own ways? I think not, that's why parents do have the right to compare their own childhood, I repeat, for guidance's sake. It is because they have the proper authority.

" it has been proven that children do not learn lessons or follow their parents advise without their parents being able to back their sayings with actions"- Proven? Really? Do you have any evidences to support your claim?

"No his curiosity will get him to touch it and he will burn his hand, alternatively his mother could show him that it is hot and that is why he shouldn't touch it because he will burn,"- Oh, really? Let's burn every parent's hand to show to every stubborn child that ovens are hot. Words are enough to discipline a child. Why aren't they working then? It is because there is lack of strictness or lack of the sense of guidance to the children. We don't need a stick or a painful belt to tell a child that ovens are hot.

" so in conclusion of this arguement children do not listen to what their parents say majority of the time so why should they heed any advise from their parents when they're relating a story from their childhood?"- Not all children. Why should they heed any advise? Actually, they should, they really should, that's why parents are in the need of doing that. If your mom told you not to hurt that dog because she was bitten by a dog when she was 9 by stepping on the dog's tail, would person (in your childhood days) like you, full of curiosity yet not immune to fear, not follow her instructions?

I disagree to your point that children would not follow all of their parent's instructions. Since you're referring to pre-adolescents I might as well say that children in those age are also fearful.

" if they children don't listen to t and sometimes the best lessons are ones learnt by themselves for example going out partying the day before school and having to go to school the next day the children would have to suffer the hangover and realize their mistake and not doing it again"- So you're trying to say that prevention is not better than cure? I mean, there are many, many other situations like that out there waiting for its next victim, us. How can we prevent them? By letting our parents guide us through knowing their own experiences, wherein they've been a victim before, wherein they already know the consequences, or even ( in today's world) worse consequences.

"but if the parents just told them that would be the consequence they might not fully comprehend the consequences of their actions"- That's not my point. The reason why the parents will say the consequence is because they've gone through it. If the action had not been done before, it would be really difficult to avoid. That's why we have our parents to narrate their own childhood and what they've experienced before so that we may know what to avoid.

"And secondly many a time the children might misinterpret their pants intention when they tell their children of their story and this could provide pressure on these children after all the amount of pressure on us to day is extremely high and we don't need our parents there to tell us stories of their childhood to ours in comparison."- WHAT? I'll try to rebut what you typed, even though I'm a little confused.

Parents know what they're saying and it is part of their responsibility to make sure that their children understood what they meant. They won't just do any comparison and in the end, their point was not clearly understood.

"after all the amount of pressure on us to day is extremely high and we don't need our parents there to tell us stories of their childhood to ours in comparison."- That's why we need our parent's guidance and help. The extreme pressure given to us by this world may cause us to do different things which is out of our control.

Our parents are there to give us a helping hand, because they've been to that pressure before as well, and we, the youth can overcome this pressure you're talking about by attaining guidance from our parent's childhood.
terrorizedorphan1

Pro

terrorizedorphan1 forfeited this round.
idonotbelievey0u

Con

To conclude everything.

The youth today clearly needs guidance, needs to learn respect and learn how to appreciate things in life that our parents don't have during their time.

By simply doing a comparison in both childhoods, it may show a big difference.
And this comparison can help balance the attitude of the youth which is affected by the changes brought by time.

Comparison is not a dictation, instead it serves as a compass, something that gives direction once handled properly,

Every parent does not want his/her child to lose its way in life.
We can't blame the parents that they suffered much during their time and we can't blame ourselves that technology has made everything a lot easier. But even though technology still affect our way in life and again our behavior.

So as a teenager, a youth of this generation, I strongly believe that parents have the right to compare their own childhood to the lives of their children.

PLEASE VOTE FOR CONS!!
Posted by Pfalcon1318 3 years ago
Pfalcon1318
Sk8, You are making the claim, BoP is on you.
Posted by Sk8 3 years ago
Sk8
You're argument is on the opposition side....but it says at the top you're on the proposition side.
Vote Placed by bladerunner060 2 years ago
bladerunner060
terrorizedorphan1idonotbelievey0uTied
Reasons for voting decision: Well, conduct, obviously, for the forfeit. S&G was equal, but to both sides: Your cases were kinda difficult to read due to the manner they were written. S&G was equal enough. Nobody sourced. As to arguments, Pro failed to uphold the burden in light of Con's rebuttals, in particular failing to provide evidence to back up assertions, so arguments to Con. As always, happy to clarify this RFD.