TheSempai
OldIronGuts

Adults should stop policing skateboarders

OldIronGuts

TheSempai

Pro

Thin-Sliced

Why should skaters receive any respect; aren’t they just troublemakers? On the contrary, a skateboarder is as much a person as you are and is thus entitled to as much respect as anyone. Nevertheless, skaters are being discriminated against every day. I know this because I am a skater, and I have experienced the almost universal negative reception which skaters receive primarily from adults. The disgusting generalization of skaters as obnoxious and dangerous comes from a lot of fear and hatred. Shame on society. Adults must stop unnecessarily policing skaters because such actions are primitive, offensive, and unjust.
It was mid-evening, and the neighborhood streets were already bathed in the pale orange light of the street lamps. Daniel and I cut through the street on our skateboards. We sped down the street on our boards, and then slowed to a stop in a cul-de-sac.
“It’s a great night for skating,” Daniel said, getting off his board.
“Yeah, it’s cool and quiet,” I agreed.
We sat on the sidewalk on our boards in front of a house in silence for a moment.
“We probably won’t get to do this for awhile since school is starting soon,” I said.
Daniel responded with a nonchalant shrug.
“Well,” I began, rising to my feet, “let’s enjoy it while we can.”
The two of us had begun to walk away from the sidewalk holding our boards. Just then, headlights pierced through the darkness and rounded the corner into the cul-de-sac slowly. Daniel and I stepped out of the car’s way awkwardly as it seemed to approach us like some enigmatic red predator. With an electronic “woosh” the driver’s side window sailed down. Inside was a blond woman, probably in her thirties, leveling a cold and questioning stare at us.
“Who are you?” Her tone matched her gaze.p\
Daniel and I stopped and stood a couple of feet from the side of her car.
“I’m Kevin, and this is Daniel,” I said.
“Where do you boys live?” she asked scarcely after I had replied.
Still I ventured to answer politely, “Daniel lives up the street.”
“What are you doing here?” she asked. Once again, she almost cut into my reply. I began to feel vexed. This woman didn’t care about my answers; she only wanted to interrogate me with disdain.
“We’re just chilling.”
“Yup, just cruising around,” Daniel chimed in.
“You’re just chilling? Well what are you doing in front of my house?” she asked.
“We were talking, m’am; we didn’t even know this was your house,” I returned. I had done nothing wrong, so I wasn’t going to let a super suspicious woman upset me.
She seemed perturbed that we hadn’t kowtowed to her imaginary authority. She was also lacking justification for her hostile suspicions.
“Well, it’s dark out, and I was just wondering why you boys were hanging around my house,” she said in her icy tone.
I laid down my board and mounted it; Daniel did the same.
“Forget about it because we’re leaving,” I said. And with that, my friend and I skated out of the cul-de-sac and back up his street.
I was burning with anger and indignation. Who was this woman to interrogate me with such cold manners and narrow preconceptions? I’d just been subjected to prejudice of the most disgraceful kind, one based solely on a person’s image. She was ill disposed to me from the moment she saw me.
I had been thin-sliced. When you see someone with a diminutive figure and large glasses, you may automatically categorize them as a “nerd” without any basis for your judgement other than your perception of their appearance. She had seen two teenagers with skateboards and reduced us to troublesome, rowdy, profane, and dangerous youths who had no right to use the space of sidewalk in front of her house.
We did not deserve the resentful recognition we had received from her. Her cold hostility resulted from the widely popular idea in communities that skateboarders menace and terrorize society. However, such thinking is archaic and small-minded. For instance, if radical, bloody jihads are caused by Muslims, should we then classify all Muslims everywhere as violent and belligerent human beings?

The answer is glaringly obvious.

It took much time for me to get over my feelings of anger towards the injustice of being treated like a second class citizen. Eventually I moved on, but I know that this won’t be the last time I am marginalized.
In conclusion, society, particularly adults, should desist in treating skaters in a way that is demeaning. Treating my kind with disrespect and scorn will accomplish nothing besides causing them to retaliate and attack. Adults commonly and frequently generalize us on the account of their own bias. I admit some of our public reputation was earned, but does that mean we can’t earn a better one? The Declaration of Independence states that, “all men are created equal,” so don’t skateboarders deserve basic human respect? In light of this, the next time you encounter a skater I hope you will accept that skater with an open-mind.
OldIronGuts

Con

I would first like to give you my condolences to the fact that you feel as if you are a second class citizen. However I would like to say that the lady whom you've portrayed as an icy interrogator had every right to be suspicious. If i were coming home from a long day of work and i see two shadowy figures in front of my house (which is considered private property) i'd be highly suspicious as well. Her questions were highly appropriate and she did not actually threaten you in any way or make any references to the fact that you were skateboarders. It was an assumption of your part that she was treating you with a sense (if any in reality) of hostility due to the fact that you were skaters, and not the fact that she was merely trying to ask you some questions that would reveal any intentions. It seems to me that your cries of injustice are greatly exaggerated. You claim that skaters are second class citizens how ever i have yet to see anyone decline service or be denied the right to vote or religion, i have yet to see a skater being refused in a public place (if there are rules or laws prohibit skating for safety reason is a different story, how ever if a known skater is not skating within these premises and does not have his board with him and is still refused access this would be a case of civil liberties being disputed, i doubt however the likelihood for such an event to happen). I would like to also bring up the point that using a personal narrative to sway the voters is incoherent, as personal narratives tend to be extremely bias and contain a bare minimum of facts within it's contents, and thus it is the responsibility of the voters to vote according to the facts at hand rather then emotional impulse. I would like to now address the point which you made, stating that the persecution of large groups of people are often condoned by small elements within those groups. There is no disputing this, for man is ignorant and the common man shall remain ignorant because he resists change for he is told when he is young that it is unacceptable to be different or weird. Thus men often persecute those who they do not understand and are unwilling to try and understand far more then they persecute those who are similar in nature and culture to themselves. How ever it is unfair to compare a skaters "suffering" to those of Muslims, Irish or Jews or any other groups similar in nature. Many people who are ignorant see these groups as cancer and feel that they must be irradiated, while at it's height of prejudicial skaters are just seen as a minor nuisance rather then an actual group detrimental to society. Another point i feel that i should raise is that, many of the persecuted groups don't have much of a choice in their way of life. If you are born middle eastern or black or latino, it's not as if you could change your ethnicity on a whim. The same difficulties can be applied when dealing with religious prosecution as well.

I am well aware of the police/security-skater disputes in public places that have arose in recent years and has been made quite popular via youtube. Although i will admit that in a few cases that skaters were treated with some form of prejudice, however in most of the cases skaters are repeatedly told to stop skating in the area, and repeatedly the skaters ignore these requests. This it is not the fault of the enforcement since the orders were clear, rather it was the fault of the the receiving party (in this situation the skaters) for not abiding to the rules and authority. As for adults who hold no position in law enforcement, it is their right to intervene in situations where the safety of the general public (such as skating down a sidewalk where a number of people of using, giving reason to believe that a collision is inevitable), or when they believe that liability issues may be at stake (such as skating on private properties such as but not limited to private places of business, parking lots or homes, for if the skaters were injured the private property owner could hold some liability,vice versa if the skaters damages anything they could be held responsible and compensation could be troublesome especially when dealing with minors). If neither of these applies to the adult "policing" the skaters then one of two things could be assumed, that the adult is a very nosy person and has nothing better to do then intruding into other people's affairs and/or the person is a dick. As for the issue of respect, remember that respect is earned. It can never be bought or forced, the best way to earn the respect of you community would to give back to the community. Physically show that the image portrayed of skaters is a false one. Do not idle around complaining about discrimination when you yourself are not contributing to battle such stereotypes. Sure it may seem that this task to pull the skating community together to remake it's image is near insuperable but is nesscarry to escape your "persecution".
Posted by kkjnay 5 years ago
kkjnay
@Itsallovernow If a personal experience is a source, why is a personal opinion not a source as well?
Posted by Itsallovernow 5 years ago
Itsallovernow
Sempai, you have to realize she didn't say anything bad either, just as you didn't do anything bad. You have to look at the situation. In your eyes, she seemed icy and suspicious, and had no reason to because you hadn't done anything wrong. But the situation is your young teenagers out at night just "cruising". In adult experience, this is suspicious because most parents would have children in bed preparing for the upcoming school year. That's how she saw it. I'm sure she has been stolen from before, so try to see it in her eyes.
Posted by TheSempai 5 years ago
TheSempai
Thanx, for the accept. Enjoy.
Posted by OldIronGuts 5 years ago
OldIronGuts
Thank you and goodluck :)
Posted by TheSempai 5 years ago
TheSempai
Age req. now down.
Posted by TheSempai 5 years ago
TheSempai
Oh, dang. Yeah, it's set so only adults can refute this debate, since it accuses adults. It's probably not that relevant though so I'll probably change that if I can.
Posted by OldIronGuts 5 years ago
OldIronGuts
Wait it says that i cant accept the challenge because i don't match the instigator's age and/or rank criteria
Posted by TheSempai 5 years ago
TheSempai
Alright, great.
Posted by OldIronGuts 5 years ago
OldIronGuts
Very vauge, but i accept
Posted by TheSempai 5 years ago
TheSempai
My entire stance should be summed up in my theses statement (adults should stop...blah, blah, blah) The opposition's angle is open to interpretation. Probably something like "skaters deserve it" or "adults aren't like that."
Vote Placed by randolph7 5 years ago
randolph7
TheSempaiOldIronGutsTied
Reasons for voting decision: Appeal to emotion fail. Con did a good job rebutting what was left of pros argument
Vote Placed by Crypto247 5 years ago
Crypto247
TheSempaiOldIronGutsTied
Reasons for voting decision: slatteboarders are immautre brats!
Vote Placed by Itsallovernow 5 years ago
Itsallovernow
TheSempaiOldIronGutsTied
Reasons for voting decision: CONDUCT: Pro seemed like he was venting and lost his professionalism. SPELLING: Tied ARGUMENTS- Con is correct. I will elaborate in comments. SOURCES: Pro used a personal experience as an example story, and therefore is a source. Con did not present a source.
Vote Placed by imabench 5 years ago
imabench
TheSempaiOldIronGutsTied
Reasons for voting decision: There was only 1 round.... Pro told a story of discriminaiton and con offered reasons of why people discriminate against skaters, and that was the only argument given in this whole debate
Vote Placed by kkjnay 5 years ago
kkjnay
TheSempaiOldIronGutsTied
Reasons for voting decision: Well, I now know that skateboarders don't know how to debate. Pfft you and your imaginary prejudice.