katrilenyah
Ore_Ele

Adults smoking in a vehicle with children inside

Ore_Ele

katrilenyah

Con

Adults and other smokers should not be allowed to smoke in a vehicle that has children , or young adults inside. Lung cancer not only affects smokers, but second hand smokers as well. I agree it should be up to the smoker if he/she smokes if they know the consequence and health risks involved but their choices should not affect another human beings health, especially a young child who may not have an understanding of how un-healthy smoking may be, or maybe too afraid to speak up and asked the smoker not to smoke. In a vehicle, the smoke would be allowed to circulate in the car, allowing more of the toxic materials in the smoke to affect a child. This should not be allowed. A child's body is still forming, not just on the outside but on the inside too. Smoke could damage and/or hurt a child's still forming tissue in his/her lungs.
Ore_Ele

Pro

I would like to thank my opponent for starting this debate. In this debate I will be arguing for the rights of private property ownership and the right to do what you want in your own private property.

First we should note that "young adults" is the age group 19 - 40 under Erikson's stages of development [1]. Most psychological stages place young adults well into the 20's and often 30's. People of this age are significantly past the point where they need someone else to stand up for them. If the driver is the owner of the car, it is well within their legal rights to smoke in any private property that they own, be it a house, car, or cardboard box [2].

Second, there cars have one of the best ventilation methods of any closed space. It is called, rolling down the windows [3]. This allows the air to circulate extremely efficiently, thus making smoking in a car, actually one of the safest places to do so. It would be completely illogical to ban smoking in cars due to health concerns without banning it pretty much everywhere else as well.

Thank you

[1] http://psychology.about.com...
[2] http://americanpolicy.org...
[3] http://l.wigflip.com...
katrilenyah

Con

Agreed on that statement on private property but a child is not private property. One's choice that affects one's health should not be inflicted on another human. By young adults I meant Teenager. And I agree that if they own the property then they can do what they want with it but the smoker needs to be considerate of young children in the area with them. Their body tissue in their lungs are still developing and smoke from a cigarette that an adult is smoking could damage their tissue development. Some smokers don't consider that and smoke in front of small children and infants which could lead to lung cancer from second hand smoke. I lost my younger brother to lung cancer when my parents use to smoke around us. We were to young to realize that smoking was bad and we were at the age that we didn't know we could ask the grown ups not to smoke in the same area as us. Because of that I no longer have a little brother.
Ore_Ele

Pro

Given that this is the final round, I will not bring up any new arguments. However, I will address some things and refer back to my previous round.

1) While I am sorry for your loss, within the realm of debating such things are logical fallacies known as appeals to emotion (it is also anecdotal evidence and so dismissable on that alone).

2) My opponent never addresses the point that by rolling down the windows, the car can become extremely ventilated and much safer than most other places, of which my opponent is not wanting to ban.

3) My opponent suggests that "young adult" means teenager. While no source is provided for this distinction, it makes little difference. 18 and 19 year olds are still mature enough to take care of themselves to a significant degree (if they can join the military, they can ask someone politely to not smoke around them, or roll down a car window).

I thank my opponent for the debate and look forward to more debates in the future.
Vote Placed by YYW 3 years ago
YYW
katrilenyahOre_EleTied
Reasons for voting decision: The point about the windows sold it for me.
Vote Placed by InquireTruth 3 years ago
InquireTruth
katrilenyahOre_EleTied
Reasons for voting decision: While there was an obvious shift in what category of person was being referred to in the debate, inasmuch as it's much easier to defend the property rights and freedoms of legal adults and beyond, the debate was still won with a single argument. (There are some graying skies in the realm of the increasingly less nubile participants.) Ore_Ele referenced the safe nature of smoking in ventilated cars and suggested that any ban in a car based on the nature of safety would virtually require banning smoking entirely. That point went through the heart and it was all it took to fell the resolution.
Vote Placed by F-16_Fighting_Falcon 3 years ago
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
katrilenyahOre_EleTied
Reasons for voting decision: The main problem I have with Pro's response is that the resolution says that adults shouldn't be smoking in vehicles with children inside. Pro instead argues that young adults are capable of making their own decisions. So, that fails to affirm. Pro does bring a good argument that rolling down the windows increases circulation that Con didn't counter. However, Con also mentioned various health hazards to children. Pro assumes that Con doesn't want to ban smoking elsewhere but I could see Con's arguments applying just as well to a smoking ban everywhere. But the specific argument about smoke circulating more in a car was refuted so I'll vote Pro on this one.