Advertisements Do More Harm Than Good

Started: 6/7/2011 Category: Economics

We have all seen commercials: on television, on websites, on phone lines, and even on highway billboards. But when do we think about them? More specifically, where can we complain about their drawbacks?

This debate discusses whether or not advertisements (that is, commercials on television, billboards, signs, Internet ads, etc.) are beneficial to the majority of people in a society.

I will take the Pro/For side of this debate: I believe advertisements do more harm than good. By accepting this challenge, you are saying that advertisements are good.

Basic Rules and Agreements:
1. No vulgar, slang, or other offensive language is allowed.
2. Intentional spelling or grammar errors are not permissible.
3. The first round is for introduction and agreement purposes.
4. If sources are used, they must be cited with URLs or titles of books.

Please post a comment in case there are ambiguities in the topic or agreements of this debate.

Thank you, joshuaXlawyer for accepting this challenge. I look forward to debating with you.

As this is the first true round, I will start with my three main points.

1. Commercials are Annoying in General

"Advertising is a valuable economic factor because it is the cheapest way of selling goods, particularly if the goods are worthless."

-- Sinclair Lewis (American Writer)

Almost all television watchers know how annoying infomercials can be. They take up TV time with, in many cases, products that the watcher is not interested in purchasing. However, there is more to it than that.

Some commercials fall into the category of repetition. These particular ads are shown too many times a day. They can also repeat information over and over again. Take the Head-on commercial for example (search for it on YouTube). "Head-On, apply directly to the forehead" is said three times consecutively. Does it cure acne? Does it relieve headaches? These unanswered questions leave the watcher to wonder what the product is supposed to do, let alone purchase it.

Other commercials may have unnecessary salespeople. Watch a car commercial, and you'd understand.

Finally, many infomercials contain tricks, catches, and gimmicks, many of which are not shown to the consumer. Companies obviously want the positives about their products on commercials. Therefore, they may hide negative information such as “just pay separate shipping and handling” and “taxes and other charges apply” in fast talking and small, barely-readable fonts. This fact is inconvenient for the consumer.

2. The Products Usually Do Not Work

The source above describes of an "Infomercial Junkie," a so-called consumer who purchases commercial products from television infomercials excessively. Although I have not found anything directly stated in the source that the products do not work, I do remember Yahoo! News once reporting on this event on their homepage. The headline stated that, out of the hundreds of products she had purchased, none of those products have changed her life.

Once, I had purchased a toothpaste dispenser on television. The commercial promised an easier and cleaner way of dispensing toothpaste besides using a tube. It worked for the first month, but eventually did become messy and malfunctional. It turned out that I eventually went back to using a tube.

3. Ads Tend to Benefit Only Large Companies Rather than the General Public

America itself, if you have been hearing the news lately, has been having financial issues of its own. Many people knee-deep in debt do not need to buy more products, especially ones that do not work. Therefore, commercials are unnecessary in tempting those in debt to spend more money.

Therefore, advertisements tend to benefit the larger companies selling cheap products at high prices. At the same time, the general public makes up the majority of the business world. Needless to say, ads help a small group while mildly harming the larger one.

I now conclude my portion of this round. Good luck to my contender in his part of round 2.

My opponent case:

1. Commercials are annoying in General...

Yes we all know how commercials annoy us but they are a needed annoyance, with commercials we wouldn't know that stride has a new flavor that lasts 2 times longer or that Oxy Clean is good for stains. The whole point of ads in the first place is to spread the word about your product so people who might need your product will know you have the product for sell. Its all so a sells tactic some ads are designed with physcological tricks to get you to buy products like axe one spray and boom 20 women tackle you. That would make any man wanna buy axe and im sure at least once every man has bought some.

Commercials are shown a lot in repetition, why? because when watching tv they can't determine if someone new turned to that same channel and didn't see the ad before. The reason the head on commercial repeats 3 times is its suppose to, the phrase was suppose to be the catchy slogan of the product. Well if it makes a customer wonder they might even guy it out of curiosity alone your thinking too much into it the general public doesn't think into commercials that much.

Actually they wanna spend all their 1 minute to 30 seconds talking about how good their product is rather than wasting time on talking about the negative thats why they talk fast at the end. They will tell you what you would have to pay when you call them about the product. barely readable fonts? sounds like bank lone tricks not going to wall mart and buying a bag of lays or bounty paper towels.

2.The product usually don't work....

So you really couldn't find proof of these products not working im sorry but we can trust what you remember find a source saying these products don't work.
Nor your experiences.
Plus your little malfunction might have been how you were using or how you places the tube into the despenser sometimes its a user error.

3.Ads tend to benefit only large companies rather than the general public...

Thats actually a very incorrect statement to tell people to stop buying stuff, in an economy such as the U.S we need money circulation, the reason the economy is so bad right now is there isnt enough money circulating.
The whole idea is people spend money to a company then company employee's spend on other things expand and goes back out into the economy, however everyone is keeping their money not contributing to the circulation making it hard to do this. The stimulas package was suppose to help circulation, didn't work very well either.

Buying products helps our companies survive allowing jobs to stay which paying employee's puts the money back into the economy and helps the economy without companies less jobs actually hurting the general public.

For personal reasons, I will have to forfeit this round. I give the win to Con.

joshuaXlawyer forfeited this round.
Posted by joshuaXlawyer 4 years ago
I forfeited because you did :/ the cheap tactic
Posted by shooterboss 5 years ago
A message to the voters: Since my opponent also forfeited, let us completely reject Round 3 and pretend none of us forfeited.
Vote Placed by headphonegut 5 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Pro did not show how advertisements do harm pros firt argument states that ads are annoying this does not constitute a harm pros second argument fails because no evidence was provided and pro clearly said I don't know if products don't actually work and in pros final argument pro makes an argument that ads benefit large companies not constituting a harm and do not benefit the public which is not a harm con effectively found the flaws and pointed them out well done con
Vote Placed by BangBang-Coconut 5 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Wow, I am incredibly disappointed in Joshua, his arguments where horrible. Since both sides forfeited I didn't take into consideration either forfeit; so based solely on round 2 Pro dominates.
Vote Placed by Cliff.Stamp 5 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Pro concedes.