Zealotical
Kleptin

Advertisements

Kleptin

Zealotical

Con

The levels of advertising are just too much these days. You can't walk down the street, ride a bus, watch television, surf the web, or read your email without seeing advertisements. People shouldn't have to have their lives attacked by a huge quantity of information they might not want.

People can't just choose to ignore advertising because advertisers use a lot of methods to get their message across. Posters have attention grabbing words and/or pictures. Some adverts today are even being hidden in what seem like pieces of art or public information so people don't realise they are being marketed to. By targeting people’s unconscious thoughts, adverts are a form of brainwashing that take away people's freedoms to make choices.

A lot of adverts do more than just advertising products. Some try to make people feel inferior if they don't have the product, or if they have something which the product would change. Perceptions of beauty and fashion in particular have been terribly distorted. Many young people have low-self esteem and lead unhealthy lifestyles because they feel they should be thinner and more attractive like the models they see in adverts. This leads to serious problems like eating-disorders and self-harm.

Advertising gives the impression, especially to young kids that they can and should have everything they want. This makes people too interested in material things. People are becoming more selfish and obsessed with their possessions and losing their values of patience, hard work, moderation and the importance of non-material things like family and friends. This harms their relationships and their personal development, which has serious effects for society.
Kleptin

Pro

I thank my opponent for creating this debate and hope for a good exchange.

Let me begin with some opening statements.

Advertisement is a big business. One that is extraordinarily important to both our society as well as our economy. My opponent is attempting to show that Advertisements are detrimental to society in a way such that they should be removed. If he believes otherwise, he should clarify in his next post because although he is the instigator, he has not submitted any proposal. Thus, I must assume he wishes to ban advertisement.

This carries some significant problems. First of all, what counts as advertisement? No media ads? Set monetary amounts? Simply showing the brand logo on your product is a form of advertisement. Where do we draw that line?

In addition, products are made and sold, how should a company spread the news about their product if not advertisement? Should advertisement be controlled by the government?

Having said that, I shall respond to my opponent's points one by one.

1. People cannot ignore unwanted information

Everything around us is information. Colors, flavors, odors, textures, we are sensory creatures that are constantly receiving information. Whether it is advertisement or not, it shouldn't matter. Another point on this matter: most forms of interaction between the potential consumer and the advertisement is through a medium that provides a service at a cost. Part of the requirement for such a service is to be subject to advertisement, otherwise the medium would not exist. Television programs are a good example. Internet websites are another. These are necessary methods of financing whatever people *do* want to see.

2. Advertisements brainwash people and limit their decision-making abilities.

I find this argument to be absurd. People's decision-making abilities are compromised far more from other things than from advertising. Society, environment, peer pressure, these things all impact our personalities and how we grow and think. My opponent cites several examples as to how advertisement impacts society. Examples such as superficiality and materialism. May I point out that all his examples and far, FAR worse are applicable to the television, magazine, publishing, news, and film industries. Compared to advertisement, the "brainwashing" impact of advertisement is almost nil. If my opponent is going to use this point, I suggest he argue for the ban of all media first, because this simply isn't going to cut it.

Having countered my opponent's arguments, I now pose evidence in support of advertisements.

Advertisement is one of the most important industries in existence. Advertisement generates demand in people, and people with demand will buy. People who buy will give money to those who make, who will use that money to buy as well. These are the basics of a free market economy, and especially in dire economic times, Advertisement is an invaluable tool to get the stock market back on its feet.

Advertisement is nowhere NEAR as evil as my opponent makes it out to be. Advertisement appeals to people in order to convince them. There is no way for advertisement to be used as a way to brainwash people because unless it coincides with their beliefs (at least partially) it will be an ineffective campaign.

My opponent's arguments for Advertisement being the downfall of man is simply ludicrous. Let's set aside the fact that sex and violence and immorality is far more rampant in dozens of other forms of media. Man's desires, hopes, dreams, beliefs, morals, these are never under direct control of a person. Each person is simply an amalgamation of external force mixed with internal biology. It is impossible to avoid "intellectual contamination". No man is a free thinker to himself, outside bias will always exist.

I thank the audience and await my opponent's response.

http://tools.devshed.com...
http://www.blurtit.com...
Zealotical

Con

Zealotical forfeited this round.
Kleptin

Pro

Disappointing that my opponent has forfeited. I extend all my arguments forward. Thank you.
Zealotical

Con

Zealotical forfeited this round.
Kleptin

Pro

I'm disappointed that my opponent has decided to forfeit the match, I hope we can debate again someday.

Thank you audience, please vote PRO.
Posted by Logical-Master 8 years ago
Logical-Master
My reason for decision is nearly identical. The difference is that I count forfeits as automatic penalties against spelling/grammar given that I believe that the one who gets points for spelling/grammar is the one who managed to show the best spelling and grammar throughout the debate. Since there is no way to do this in forfeited rounds,he loses in this department by default.
Posted by Kleptin 8 years ago
Kleptin
C: CON showed terrible conduct in forfeiting all his latter rounds. Points go to PRO.
S&G: Tie. Neither side had problems with spelling/grammar
A: CON made no arguments. Points go to PRO.
S: PRO was the only one to cite sources. Points go to PRO.

Terrible debate, in my opinion. This should be redone.
Posted by rougeagent21 8 years ago
rougeagent21
So how do you propose companies spread the word about their product?
Vote Placed by Logical-Master 8 years ago
Logical-Master
ZealoticalKleptinTied
Vote Placed by Kleptin 8 years ago
Kleptin
ZealoticalKleptinTied