Moodi
WhateverItTakes

Advertising changes consumers wants and demands to the extent that consumers spend money they don't

Started: 4/28/2013 Category: Economics

Moodi

Pro

Present a good introduction that attracts the audience"s attention and interest in the topic

Give a brief summary of the statement from Team A"s point of view

Clearly state Team A"s position and support with reason and evidence and the appropriate logical
and theoretical reasoning.
WhateverItTakes

Con

Of course advertising changes the wants and demands of the consumer. That is the point of advertising, to make someone want something that they don't necessarily need so that the product makes money. I ask the opposition, what did you think the point of advertising was? And on top of that, would you do anything different if you were a businessman, and if so, what (would you do differently)?
Moodi

Pro

Moodi forfeited this round.
WhateverItTakes

Con

I have nothing more to say this round, seeing as there has not been a response from my opposition in the alloted amount of time.

I suppose I could use to remind the voters that this is a major shortcoming in my opposition's credibility and responsibility, and that it is for this reason that they should vote for me. Remember to vote Con!
Moodi

Pro

Moodi forfeited this round.
WhateverItTakes

Con

WhateverItTakes forfeited this round.
Posted by davidw 4 years ago
davidw
DanT - Oh yeah, corporations are the idols of truth telling.

And what difference is it what grade - if any - I am in?
Posted by DanT 4 years ago
DanT
Why the F*** did con cede the debate in the first round? This debate would have been so easy to win.
Posted by DanT 4 years ago
DanT
davidw are you still in highschool?

There are laws against false advertisement. Advertisement is not about lies, advertisement is about making the consumer aware of your product.

You cannot make someone want something, you can just make them aware of something. Just like you cant make someone love you, you can only make them aware of your good qualities. The whole point of advertisement is to make people aware of your product, and the features of that product. If there was no advertisements, than it would take longer for people to become aware of new products. People would also make less educated purchases.
Posted by davidw 4 years ago
davidw
This sounds like a homework fishing expedition!

But at least all sides should agree that advertising should not lie. Perhaps that is enough to get rid of it entirely!
Posted by DanT 4 years ago
DanT
Is first round acceptance only?