Iamsmarter
InVinoVeritas

Affirmative Action: Necessary Evil?

InVinoVeritas has forfeited round #1.

Iamsmarter

Con

Some argue that Affirmative Action is a "necessary evil," inflating the market with opportunities exclusively for "minorities" while their social disadvantages are "sorted out." I will argue that lowering the standards for these "underpriveleged" individuals, even temporarily, will not "solve" the issue, assuming this issue exists.

I will question the assumption that there exists an issue to be solved regarding the current "socioeconomic" statuses of certain individuals; and I will question the word "socioeconomic" in its current use in discussions of social stratification, and reveal it as a scapegoat term ultimately representing underlying genetic and'or cultural differences between people that some arguments are too sensitive to acknowledge.

I will argue that equalizing the standards for all individuals is a truer acknowledgement of the inherent equality-in-value granted by all persons' shared humanity. I will argue that setting the bar at a certain level, and not bending the rules for certain groups, in fact gives lower-status groups the onus to meet and/or exceed societal expectations rather than feed on the successes of the currently empowered groups.