Salvador
AnAtheistamongus

Affirmative Action shoule be discontinued

Salvador

Salvador

Pro

I think that Affirmative Action should be discontinued in the college application process because it judges minority groups based on their race rather than how good they are in school. Also it gives white people a unfair advantage into getting into college. For example, this is a white Student that tries very hard in school and gets A's and B's every year and their a Latino student who does okay in school and gets C's and some B's. They both apply to the same college and they take a look at at both profiles and they decide to accept the Latino student because his a minority. If you were the white student, how would you fill? As a Latino would rather get into college for how I'm doing in school, rather than my race.
AnAtheistamongus

Con

Many people don't seem to understand what Affirmative Action is thanks to the misleading lies from conservative media. What many people generally believe about Affirmative Action is that it uses illegal quotas when in fact it uses no such thing Affirmative Action is simply the set of laws the federal government has passes to restrict businesses from discriminating against anyone [the laws so far only applied to minorities since they were the only laws that needed to be passed.]
Salvador

Pro

"'Affirmative action' means positive steps taken to increase the representation of women and minorities in areas of employment, education, and culture from which they have been historically excluded." (Source: Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)

http://plato.stanford.edu...

If I wasn't clear, I was referring to affirmative action being used in college acceptance process.

Therefore, your points, about business restriction, don't apply to this debate.
AnAtheistamongus

Con

As far as I'm concerned the term "affirmative action" was coined under referring to the United States Executive Order 10925
signed by president John F Kennedy on March 6, 1961, the law was used to prevent discrimination.

"If I wasn't clear, I was referring to affirmative action being used in college acceptance process."
Well maybe you should have elaborated in the title.
Salvador

Pro

"Well maybe you should have elaborated in the title."

Or maybe you could have read my first argument more carefully.

You stated that John F. Kennedy signed Executive Order to prevent discrimination.

So lets take the example I provide in my first argument.

For example, this is a white Student that tries very hard in school and gets A's and B's every year and their a Latino student who does okay in school and gets C's and some B's. They both apply to the same college and they take a look at at both profiles and they decide to accept the Latino student because his a minority.

Wouldn't it be discrimination against the white student because he didn't get accepted because he/she was white. Even though he/she had better grades.

I let haven't seen you present arguments about how we should still continue affirmative action.
AnAtheistamongus

Con

"Or maybe you could have read my first argument more carefully."

Establishment of debate lesson 101 no misleading titles!

When most people hear the term affirmative action they think of it on a federal level. On this site itself the BIG Issues chart refers to national issues and affirmative action is listed!

"this is a white Student that tries very hard in school and gets A's and B's every year and their a Latino student who does okay in school and gets C's and some B's. They both apply to the same college and they take a look at at both profiles and they decide to accept the Latino student because his a minority.

Wouldn't it be discrimination against the white student because he didn't get accepted because he/she was white. Even though he/she had better grades."

That's not really an argument that is a hypothetical. And yes it is discrimination but your example refers to quotas not affirmative action.

"I let haven't seen you present arguments about how we should still continue affirmative action."

That's because I had to spend this debate explaining to you what affirmative action really is.

Good luck on the debate anyway!
Vote Placed by debate339 3 years ago
debate339
SalvadorAnAtheistamongusTied
Reasons for voting decision: Both of your arguments have major flaws all i see is a battle of races i was never shown why AA is good or bad
Vote Placed by whiteflame 3 years ago
whiteflame
SalvadorAnAtheistamongusTied
Reasons for voting decision: This was a bad debate, guys, and both sides deserve some blame. Pro, you could have made it clear that you were talking about affirmative action for colleges in the topic. Also, you could have spent some time establishing how quotas for into affirmative action, tamping down Con's arguments. If you want to recognize them as a part of affirmative action, define it off the bat, and provide the link to the law at the start. Con needs to recognize what Pro says in the first round, acknowledge it, and accept that that is part of the round. It was posted before you accepted. Also, you need to engage Pro's argument instead of arguing past him. It comes off as dismissive and makes the debate thin. Given that, much as Pro doesn't argue it well, both debaters agreed that quotas lead to discrimination. Conduct goes to Pro for Con's attempts to shape the debate. Grammar to Con for some odd spelling errors on Pro. Only Pro had citation, even if it was just one.
Vote Placed by chengste 3 years ago
chengste
SalvadorAnAtheistamongusTied
Reasons for voting decision: sources had to go with PRO only one who used one,
Vote Placed by Cermank 3 years ago
Cermank
SalvadorAnAtheistamongusTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con failed to engage in the debate, or provide arguments. Displayed improper conduct, and didn't respond to the arguments made.