1davey29
Magic8000

Affirmative Action

Magic8000

1davey29

Con

I fully believe in the idea of affirmative action, but I am against how it is currently being done. I believe that there should be a way for minorities to advance more efficiently in society, but the current form of affirmative action, while indeed advancing the minorities, declines the majorities. I believe if the current form of affirmative action continues, the minorities will become the majorities and we will be forced to change our perspective once again. I get that affirmative action is made to balance and integrate society as to where racism no longer exists, but frankly, that is impossible. For one thing, affirmative action within itself is racist, as racism is not only the negative discrimination of a race, gender, age, or culture, but also the positive discrimination of a race, gender, age, or culture. Secondly, humans are within themselves biased on where they live, what the majority is, how the parents and peers around the individual act, and how the individual is raised.
Magic8000

Pro

I held off on accepting this to see if Con is going to be active. I hate it when I get full forfeits.

Anyway, onto Con’s arguments.

Con states that affirmative action is currently hurting the majority. This is nothing but a bare assertion fallacy. It is a purely speculative assertion. He claims minorities will become the majority if affirmative action continues. I can’t really make sense of what this means, but it definitely seems like a slippery slope fallacy. Con also brings up this concept that AA is reverse racism. First, this misunderstands the program. It is not giving someone a job solely because they’re black, it’s because they have wronged. The only reason race is involved is because race discrimination happened. It is about providing compensation. Similar to how Germany paid Israel compensation after World War 2. They weren’t paying them just because they’re Jewish, it was because of the holocaust. The idea of reverse racism assumes a moral philosophy called moral absolutism. The concept has huge problems. For example, if there is a law in place that prohibits people forcefully keeping someone in captivity. Let’s someone kidnaps someone else and forcefully puts them in captivity, but the police are called the the kidnapper is caught. By moral absolutism, we can’t imprison him, because that’s keeping someone in captivity. We see how this moral theory falls apart. There are other real life examples. We are opposed to someone cutting someone open with a knife. However we find that it’s sometimes okay, when that person is a surgeon and about to perform surgery.

Con’s second argument is incomplete. He doesn’t make the connection from bias to ending or modifying affirmative action. So far, his second argument supports affirmative action. If everyone is unconsciously biased, then there would need to be some regulation to fairly give minorities a chance.

1davey29

Con

I do not really know how to respond to that as, usually, round one is for opening statements and round 2 is for rebuttals. As you rebutted me in round one, I do not really have anything to refute.
Magic8000

Pro

Sorry. There is no assumed standard for how debates go here as there are many ways people do things. The format needs to be specified in round one. Take this debate as an example.
http://www.debate.org...

The Instigator specified everything and the other party agreed to them.

Extend arguments.
1davey29

Con

1davey29 forfeited this round.
Magic8000

Pro

Forfeit......
Posted by 1davey29 2 years ago
1davey29
****ing school. Dhall.
Vote Placed by Krazzy_Player 2 years ago
Krazzy_Player
1davey29Magic8000Tied
Vote Placed by Actionsspeak 2 years ago
Actionsspeak
1davey29Magic8000Tied
Vote Placed by Subutai 2 years ago
Subutai
1davey29Magic8000Tied
Reasons for voting decision: (I'm amending my vote) Con did not set up a debate structure, and then essentially forfeited a round because he didn't like pro's setup. He should have used that round for rebuttals, regardless of what he wanted. Also, con forfeited the final round. Overall, pro was the only one to present good arguments and rebuttals, and thus gets the vote.
Vote Placed by iamanatheistandthisiswhy 2 years ago
iamanatheistandthisiswhy
1davey29Magic8000Tied
Reasons for voting decision: I have to agree with Pro on this debate, Cons opening argument was supportive and against affirmative action. As such points have to go to Pro for arguments. Additionally, Pro supplied rebuttals. Regarding conduct Pro gets points for the forfeit by Con. Other points are tied.
Vote Placed by Ragnar 2 years ago
Ragnar
1davey29Magic8000Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Being polite I will only award conduct due to the missed round. However unless specified by the instigator R1, the contender may do what they wish with R1. ... I advise next time to not lay down and take it, but at least defend your points (refute their rebuttals).