Smorfy
ArtBuggy

Affirmative Action

Smorfy has forfeited round #3.
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

Smorfy

Con

I will be arguing against affirmative action. The debate format shall be
1. Acceptance
2. Opening argument
3. Rebuttals/arguments
4. Rebuttals/arguments
5. Rebuttals/conclusion
ArtBuggy

Pro

Thanks for the debate, I look forward to debating with you.
Smorfy

Con

I do not think affirmative action is a good policy. It can interfere with more qualified students' education. Though I will admit it helps minorities secure a place in our world, it is unfair to everyone who is qualified. Now, when I say everyone, I mean EVERYONE, including qualified people that are in minority groups. Affirmative action hurts the reputation of minorities. It causes people to believe the stereotype that all minorities need help. It also makes people believe that all the people that are also in minority groups are unqualified, and were only chosen because of affirmative action. Affirmative action also does not truly help all disadvantaged people. While minorities can be disadvantaged, and many people in minorities are, affirmative action would make more sense if it assisted people in economic distress, or were raised in neighborhoods with bad school history. Finally, though some might say affirmative action repays our debt to minorities for our treatment again, the minorities in question were mainly discriminated against a long time ago. The people affirmative action helps did not have to go through discrimination on the same scale as their ancestors. While there is no easy answer to stop discrimination, affirmative action is NOT the best one. Instead of affirmative action, I propose keeping race off of applications altogether. Race should NEVER matter. What should matter are your qualities and attributes. Thank you, and I am looking forward to our debate.
ArtBuggy

Pro

I firmly believe that affirmative action is a great way to move everyone in a country forward as a whole. I believe that affirmative action helps make the workplace, and schools more diverse. And I also believe that a lot of people in minority groups, often don"t start off with the same opportunities as people in majority groups.
First of all having quotas, and helping racial minorities get into more workplaces, and schools will make a better more diverse environment for everyone. In younger life, and schooling, it SO important for children to see, and become normalized to other minority groups. For young children, school is where they"ll make their first friends, learn all about their country as a whole, and their country shouldn't be all white. If a child has only seen a couple of black people in their life, it"s not a giant leap to think that they might be a little racist when they grow up.
Diversity in the workplace is also great. More diversity means more opinions, more views on issues, and more knowledge. Especially if that workplace will make choices affecting these minority groups.
People in minority groups don"t have the same opportunities as those in majority groups. Blacks don"t just "not work as hard as the rest of us" there has to be some reason that the amount stats for them in good schools are so low. Minority groups can often end up in the poverty cycle, https://en.wikipedia.org...... from discrimination that goes years back. And companies and people can be racists, some without even realizing it.
Lastly, you said that "Race should NEVER matter" while I can see what you"re saying here, the fact of matter is that is DOES. Our culture and upbringing affect us and that fact that 35% of jail inmates are black, https://en.wikipedia.org...... and that 51% of inmates in New Zealand are Maori, http://www.newshub.co.nz...... are not numbers you can ignore.

I'm from New Zealand by the way, that's why I brought that up, Maori only make up 14% of the population.
And thank you I look forward to the rest of the debate.