Spotchman
nvickers3

Affirmative action by race in education should be illegal

Spotchman

Pro

For the purpose of this debate, affirmative action will be defined as the practice of favoring minority students in admissions for education. It is sometimes referred to as "positive discrimination", which is an admission that it is discrimination with the assertion that discrimination is "positive" when it is against whites. We figured out a few years ago why discrimination isn't okay when it's against blacks; now I think it's time to figure out whether or not it's O.K. when it's against whites. Some people actually believe that affirmative action should be used to favor women in education, even though 57% of college students are female [1]. My opponent is not required to take this position in this debate. This debate will be about whether or not minorities should receive preferential treatment in college admissions. Questions go in the comments (ironically enough). I thank my opponent in advance for an excellent debate.

[1] http://usatoday30.usatoday.com...;
nvickers3

Con

Black people and minorities in general have been socially, political and economically disenfranchised from American societies for centuries. Might I remind you upon until some 50 years ago African-American people could not enter certain establishments or go to certain schools simply because of the color of their skin. From the beginning of the Unites States of American having a darker pigmentation than Caucasian was almost a guarantee of injustice and inequality and unfortunately in this modern age there are still a few who hold on to these Neolithic views therefore it is only fair that the government ensure the wellbeing of these people who they had adversely affected for generations and keep affirmative action legal. It is only fair that they do so.
Spotchman

Pro

I thank Con for his first argument. Con mentions fairness--a theme that will surely be prominent in this debate--but what really is fair? Is it fair to reward someone based on the discrimination faced by their ancestors? If the discrimination is not felt by the people being rewarded, I don't see how that's fair at all. Is it fair to reward someone because they belong to a race that is statistically poorer? When there are many members of this race that are rich, and many, many members of a statistically richer race that are poor, who do not recieve the same benefits because they do not belong to the statistically poorer race, I don't see how that's fair either. Is it fair to reward someone based on discrimination that we can't observe? If Con can't show that certain races are involuntarily discriminated against through statistical evidence, then the discrimination that he mentions is nothing more than a claim.

It is not fair to whites to exclude them from certain scholarship funds and to consider their race in college admissions. For every person that you admit into a college because he is black, one person is turned down because he is white. Preferring minorities in college admissions creates an atmosphere where a slightly less-qualified equal income black person will get into college easier and recieve more scholarship money than a slightly more-qualified equal income white person. Why is this acceptable? We figured out a long time ago why discrimination is wrong when it's against blacks. Why does Con believe that it's okay when it's against whites?

In conclusion, "Being black" should not be listed under a person's qualifications. The way soneone's born should not disadvantage them in life.
nvickers3

Con

nvickers3 forfeited this round.
Spotchman

Pro

WHY DOES THIS ALWAYS HAPPEN TO ME
nvickers3

Con

nvickers3 forfeited this round.
Spotchman

Pro

merry Christmas
nvickers3

Con

nvickers3 forfeited this round.
nvickers3

Con

nvickers3 forfeited this round.
Posted by Magicr 4 years ago
Magicr
I'd take this, but unfortunately I will be unable to debate until January. Certainly let me know if you'd be interested in debating this again at a later point.