mentalist
TGambit

Affirmative action is warranted, yet, not equivalent to reparations for slavery.

mentalist

Pro

Affirmative action is a system that was designed to counteract the various prejudices, biases and shortcomings that have been proven to exist in the current system. Though commonly mistaken as solely for melaninated people, affirmative action makes exceptions and allowances for many different groups of people. [i.e. handicapped, women, etc.] Shared BoP Opponent must show how affirmative action is an unwarranted policy that aids only melaninated individuals. Opponent must also prove how affirmative action policies are equivalent to reparations for slavery.
TGambit

Con

Affirmative action, or Positive discrimination is a racist and unwarrented processes that forces employment of people of color, not by their qualifications.

That is the exact opposite of equality. For racisim to no longer exist, then why would we need this? All we do is give a handicap for other ethnicities saying they cannot compete equally with others so we have to force a spot open for you.

Reparations for slavery is the idea that some form of compensatory payment should be made to the descendants of Africans who had been enslaved

Do we really still owe people for slavery? Who owes them? I never owned a slave. My parents or grandparents never did. So do we really need to continue this?

I thought America is a melting pot moving past discrimination. Why would we need things like affermitive action?

I understand the logic of the program in the past. Maybe some sort idea of letting a group of oppressed individual have a better chance ofa good life... Sounds warm and fuzzy. But don't you think today with a black president that we are much more eqal?
mentalist

Pro

I thank my opponent for accepting this debate.

My opponent claims that affirmative action is "a racist and unwarranted process that forces employment of people of color, not by their qualification".

It is my assertion that affirmative action is a policy designed to counteract proven prejudices, biases and shortcomings that have been proven to exist in the current system. One of these shortcomings or biases is racism. To be clear, race is a social construct that was implemented to create and maintain derision amongst the masses. Racism was cemented into the United States and its institutions with the practice of slavery, segregation, jim crow laws, etc.. The fact that my opponent seems to believe that only melaninated people benefit from the policy of affirmative action illustrates that many people are ignorant of affirmative action and it is practiced. However, as stated, the common misconception is that affirmative action only addresses melaninated people. Affirmative action attempts to provide equal access to handicapped individuals, women, or any group that is being denied equal opportunity.
Affirmative action is an attempt to remedy the mistakes and wrongful actions of the U.S. that occured in the past and continue to the present. Affirmative action is not an admission that the beneficiaries are not qualified. It is an admission that the system is flawed and has inherent biases and boundaries that can not be remedied without an outside influence.

"That is the exact opposite of equality. For racisim to no longer exist, then why would we need this? All we do is give a handicap for other ethnicities saying they cannot compete equally with others so we have to force a spot open for you"

Is my opponent suggesting that racism no longer exists in the U.S.? The wording is ambiguous, so, I will provide evidence of the obvious presence of racism in the present day after my opponent makes clear his position. As for the handicap, the U.S. was founded on a handicap for European males. This handicap continues to this day as institutional racism. Affirmative action is an attempt to level the clearly slanted playing field. In other words, it does not force open a spot for unqualified beneficiaries, rather, it assures diversity in a system that has proven to be biased and lopsided.

"Reparations...should be made to the descendants of Africans who had been enslaved"
I will not be arguing a case for reparations, as that is not the purpose of this debate. Sufficed to say, I do feel they are deserved. However, affirmative action is not reparations. Mainly because it does not solely benefit those who were adversely affected by the peculiar institution of slavery. Also, as racism exists to this day, affirmative action seeks to remedy biases and boundaries that are inherent in the current system.

"I understand the logic of the program in the past."
My opponent suggests that he felt the process of affirmative action was valid at one time. I ask him to illustrate what improvements have been made that warrants discontinuation of the system. I ask this in lieu of the recent shooting in S.C. and the various incidents of racial profiling and police brutality. In short, when did melaninated people ceased to be oppressed?

"with a black president...we are much more eqal?"
The existence of a melaninated president does not erase institutional racism. Many people use racial epithets and derrogatory slurs when referring to the president and his family. Reporters have depicted the president in a stereotypical and racially biased manner.

TGambit

Con

TGambit forfeited this round.
mentalist

Pro

I reserve any further arguments and await a response from my opponent.
TGambit

Con

TGambit forfeited this round.
mentalist

Pro

I await further response from my opponent
TGambit

Con

TGambit forfeited this round.
mentalist

Pro

mentalist forfeited this round.
TGambit

Con

TGambit forfeited this round.
Posted by lannan13 1 year ago
lannan13
I wish to accept, but cannot start until after the holiday break. If you wish to debate me please challenge me to this debate.