untitled_entity
Juvenal

Affirmative action policies which give minorities preferential treatment should be eliminated.

untitled_entity

untitled_entity

Pro

I would appreciate it if my opponent did not post an argument for the second half of this round but instead used the second half to clarify definitions, stances, etc.

Definitions:

* Affirmative Action : a policy designed to redress past discrimination against women and minority groups through measures to improve their economic and educational opportunities [1]

* Minorities : a part of a population differing from others in some characteristics

*Preferential : showing preference

*Eliminated : to put an end to or get rid of

[1] - http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu...
[2] - http://www.merriam-webster.com...
[3] - http://www.merriam-webster.com...
[4] - http://www.merriam-webster.com...
Juvenal

Con

Thank you to my opponent for allowing this debate especially on a topic which i feel quite strongly about.

The only definition I would like to clarify is the definition of minority. I would like to add that the group must be composed of less people. It seems obvious, but I still would like it noted that my opponents definition did not say that the different group must be a group with less population than the "majority".

Moving on to the stances.
The burden of my opponent is to prove that minorities should be given NO preference. So if a black student and a white student have everything exactly the same, and i mean everything, including life story, then the admissions should flip a coin to decide. That is what my opponent must prove.
I must prove that in such a situation, giving preference to a minority student would benefit society greater and would be more just.
One other stance burden to clarify is that preferential treatment does not need to be an extreme. Many affirmative action policies are not saying that if they are anywhere close, a minority should be taken over a majority. Most say that when in conflict and the two are very similar in ability and merit, a minority will be chosen SOME of the time.Not every time.
I will accede to my opponents request and wait until next round to post arguments.
I look forward to an exciting debate.
untitled_entity

Pro

I thank Juvenal for accepting my debate and look forward to a stimulating and interesting debate.

Resolved: Affirmative action policies which give minorities preferential treatment should be eliminated. I affirm the resolution.

Seeing as I already defined the key terms, I feel it unnecessary to define them again. I will also take my opponent's add – on to "minority into account throughout this debate.

Contention A: Affirmative action leads to the defiling of actual minority achievement

By using affirmative action, we show non – minority citizens that minorities "need" to be able to be productive in society. As a result, when certain people are seen as successful, citizens wonder if it is actual talent or just the results of being pushed through a system riddled with affirmative action.

Contention B: Often time's students that have been admitted to schools/corporations under these circumstances are ill – equipped to handle the job as they were not selected on a merit basis.

When affirmative action occurs, sometimes the people who benefit from it are not equipped for the treatment they receive. When chosen over an aptly qualified white person an African American male can be accepted to certain schools based on the color of his skin. Due to the fact that he may not be admitted on a merit basis, he may be under qualified for the program or school he was accepted to.
Juvenal

Con

Juvenal forfeited this round.
untitled_entity

Pro

My opponent's account seems to have been deactivated. This is unfortunate as I was expecting a good exchange.

Extend my arguments as they were not refuted by my opponent.
Juvenal

Con

Juvenal forfeited this round.
untitled_entity

Pro

It is unfortunate that Juvenal could not join me in this debate. I urge a vote for PRO.
Juvenal

Con

Juvenal forfeited this round.
Posted by untitled_entity 8 years ago
untitled_entity
RFD:
B/A : PRO
Conduct : PRO - forfeits.
Spelling and Grammar : Tie. When Juvenal posted he used decent grammar.
Convincing Arguments : PRO - They were not refuted.
Sources : PRO
Posted by mongeese 8 years ago
mongeese
I was talking to wjmelements.
Posted by untitled_entity 8 years ago
untitled_entity
I am against affirmative action, hence the reason affirmative action programs should be abolished.
Posted by mongeese 8 years ago
mongeese
I thought you were against affirmative action.

Or, of course, you thought of a brilliant argument to twist the resolution in your favor.
Posted by wjmelements 8 years ago
wjmelements
"You cannot accept this challenge because you do not match the Instigator's age and/or rank criteria."

Again.
Vote Placed by LipstickandLightplay 8 years ago
LipstickandLightplay
untitled_entityJuvenalTied
Vote Placed by untitled_entity 8 years ago
untitled_entity
untitled_entityJuvenalTied
Vote Placed by tribefan011 8 years ago
tribefan011
untitled_entityJuvenalTied