Mrpresident16
TheShadeM

Affirmative action

Updated: 1 month ago Status: Post Voting Period

Mrpresident16

Con

I am against Affirmative action and believe it is reverse racism and discriminatory They claim this is for the wrongs against minorities like slavery however that happened over 100 years ago. Which we had nothing to do with. wasn't Dr King a famous civil rights and minority leader who said judge not a person by color but instead by character .
please keep your debate post under 2,000 words for convenience not only for us but for the readers as well Thank you.
TheShadeM

Pro

I agree with Affirmative Action (AA). It is NOT because we need to reconcile our mistakes in the past. The reason we need AA is because we have to be realistic that the current world and communities are biased against minority races and religions. Majority of Blacks in America live in poorer communities and lack opportunities to good education and jobs, NOT because they are incapable but because the current scenarios and systems in place make it extremely hard for them to reach a decent standard of living. As opposed to this, if you happen to be white and born in a middle/rich income family, your path in life is so much easier because you already have the connections and resources. AA is important for us to be able to reach out towards talent that otherwise would be almost impossible to be discovered. Secondly, AA is important for us to be able to develop empathy and the awareness that the community is rarely homogeneous. Instead it is made up of different colours and ethnicity. TQ :)
Mrpresident16

Con

While some people grow up in not so great conditions in America there is something I like to call the great equalizer education. If they perform well enough they're able to receive scholarships for that. and since they are minority they're eligible for something called diversity scholarships which whites are not. Dr. Ben Carson was placed in terrible living conditions as you mentioned and perhaps didn't go to the best schools as a child however, he took advantage of the education that was given to he went to yale and became a world renowned Brain surgeon No this does not develop empathy but a sense of entitlement because of race. I will finish with this if a black man and a white compete for a job and the white has more credentials and skills than the black man than of course any employer including myself would hire the White .NOT based on race but skill and experience and credentials to hire someone b\just because their black is reverse racism.
TheShadeM

Pro

You scenario of a black vs white guy applying for a job is faulty In that scenario, of COURSE the main reason to select a candidate is based on merit. Just like how people didn't just vote for Obama because he's black. They voted for him because he was the best guy at the time.

What I am saying is that AA should (and has been) applied in instances where the candidates are EQUALLY good or shows EQUAL potential on paper. Based on what I understand, AA is rarely used in instances where you absolutely need the best neurosurgeon or the best physicist. In these instances, colour is not a metric to be considered. However, in instances where we have a list of shortlisted people who all pretty much have the same credentials and the same potential, we need to increase the number of minorities that we hire.

Education is an equalizer. Education alone is not going to solve anything when whites have access to better schools. What youre saying is "Black ppl just need to work harder."
Mrpresident16

Con

The scenario I used was just an example
But, if a white person and a person of a minority are of the same skill set and yes while it may not be used in those circumstance that wasn't the point we need the best people on the job possible and here is the thing if they're equally matched then you hire the one who you think better for a job not based off of skin color that is racist like I've said in a previous statement if you hire somebody because they're black or another minority you're using their skin color as a deciding factor and your also being racist to the white person because you not hiring him based off of his color that racist and that's why people want AA in the first place was discrimination also they can move school locally for better education. not that Blacks need to work harder but that's ok if you want to take my statement and twist it.
Let me finish saying this Let us not judge a person by the color of his skin but the content of his character.-Dr. King
thank you
TheShadeM

Pro

You need to be realistic about how the world works. There is no such thing as a 100% neutral unbiased system. Today, people are using connections and favours to obtain entry-level positions, senior positions and so on. The rich white kid who has a father in politics can get ahead so much and so fast in life not because of much effort on his part but because of the lottery of birth. In a world like this, we need to be more empathetic towards the plight of those less fortunate. Without AA, the world you will be creating is a world of elitism and self-entitlement where the rich get richer, and if you're not born rich you might as well not have any dreams because the way up is virtually impossible to climb.

Your point about education behind an equaliser is extremely weak when I have clearly said that some people have access to better education. You just dismiss this by saying "They can always switch schools."

Even IF AA is racism, it is something we should be willing to have.
Thank you
Posted by Mrpresident16 1 month ago
Mrpresident16
Thank you for you time sir i enjoyed myself
Posted by TheShadeM 1 month ago
TheShadeM
Well, the debate is over anyway. I would be most happy to have another one against you any time soon
Posted by Mrpresident16 1 month ago
Mrpresident16
Kind of an ignorant statement We should not be willing to accept any type of racsim