CGinder4
voxprojectus

African-Americans can be racist toward whites.

CGinder4

Pro

To start off, I'm not going to be politically correct and say "African-American" every time. I'm just going to say "black", not because I'm racist, but because it is easier to type. Since I'm not making an argument here, your first round should just be a notification of accepting the debate.
voxprojectus

Con

You clearly haven't seen or read "Dear white people". Contorting yourself to say "African-American" is actually far more racist than just saying "black" now.

The language of your proposal is a little unclear, are you pro for "black people *should* be allowed to be racist towards white people or are you more saying that you're pro for the idea that they are and we don't acknowledge it?

I hope your opening argument will clarify your position and I look forward to this debate.
CGinder4

Pro

Sorry about the language not being clear, I meant that I'm pro for black people being racist but many don't acknowledge it. I'm going to start out by listing some black toward white racism examples:

1) The black college fund- If there was a college fund that only gave money to white students, there would be public outcry, and likely more riots.
2) A monument dedicated to Confederate soldiers was spray painted over with "Black Lives Matter", a movement that is gaining popularity as deaths of blacks at the hands of white policemen are being reported more over the media. However, if there was a statue of a famous slave, for example somebody like Harriett Tubman, and somebody went and spray painted "White Lives Matter" on that, it would be considered extremely racist.

I have more but I'm planning on using those in later rounds of the debate. Good luck.
voxprojectus

Con

Racism requires power. Individual black people may be capable of bigotry, but when you get down to it, you can only actually be racist when you're in a position to oppress and marginalize others on a systemic level. Institutions like the black college fund exist inside of an overall structure that is extremely tilted in favor of other demographics. Saying that it's racist to have a black college fund in an overwhelmingly privileged white society is like saying that a group of people clinging to a piece of driftwood in the middle of the ocean are discriminating against people with boats because shouldn't they get a piece of that driftwood too?

I'd encourage you to read this. It's very long, but painstakingly detailed in its accurate account of how from slavery to jim crow to the incredible land-confiscation schemes of the 1970's, black people have not been given even one human lifetime of fair treatment to have one iota of the power old white money has in this country.

http://www.theatlantic.com...

As to the statue, again, you have to look into the actual context of what is happening. Whether you believe that the Civil war was about slavery or that slavery was merely one tiny incidental part in some larger struggle of agriculture vs. industry, the reality is that Confederate Generals were fighting to ultimately keep black people enslaved. Defacing such a statue is not a castigation of the ENTIRE WHITE RACE (an act of racism) but rather, a specific and targeted message about the individuals who took very specific and targeted action in the name of oppression an entire race.

Defacing a state of Harriet Tubman by contrast would be to target the very idea of black freedom itself, and, depending on what it was defaced with, could be construed any number of ways, but pretty much all of those would have to be racist. I can articulate very clear reasons how, say, Nathanial Bedford Forrest was a racist man who fought in a racist war to oppress a race. How could you justify to me that Harriet Tubman somehow threatened white lives? There's literally no comparison.

I can't wait to hear the rest of your examples. BUT WHY ISN'T THERE A WHITE MISS AMERICA? HOW COME BLACK PEOPLE GET TO USE THE 'N' WORD? WHY AREN'T MORE WHITE HARLEM GLOBETROTTERS?
CGinder4

Pro

CGinder4 forfeited this round.
voxprojectus

Con

voxprojectus forfeited this round.
CGinder4

Pro

CGinder4 forfeited this round.
voxprojectus

Con

voxprojectus forfeited this round.
Posted by romeoboy 1 year ago
romeoboy
CGinder4, define racism and I may consider being your contender.
Posted by philochristos 1 year ago
philochristos
Death23, Spike Lee said in an interview with Playboy magazine in July of 1991 that black people cannot be racist.
Posted by Death23 1 year ago
Death23
I know of no person who ever claimed they couldn't be.
Posted by Varrack 1 year ago
Varrack
Nice truism.