sal757
Robert_Santurri

African Americans:easy breaks deserved or not?

Con Tied Pro

sal757

Con

African Americans are always getting alot of contests, etc. that only african americans can enter, sometimes these prizes would be helpful to me in my road to college while maintaining a good g.p.a. I personally don't think this is fair, lets for example say if you are of latin decent that you get $10,000 worth of money to help you with anything that you need help with a year. If this plan ever came true everyone wouldn't accept or say that it is fair, except for that latinos. I don't know about you, but at my highschool there is no other essay competitions that are for anyone but african americans, i haven't seen a college scholarship that is only eligable for white people, because everyone would think this would be racist, well is this fair to other races?
Robert_Santurri

Pro

I would first like to thank my opponent for starting this debate case and I hope we can have a wonderful debate.

My opponent did not decide to define his terms or come out with a definite case topic other then the fact he does not believe African Americans deserve "easy breaks."

I would like to pose these three counter contentions along with my own points to what my opponent stated.

Contention #1: There are a number of breaks out there for everybody.
I am currently in my last year of High school and you can get a scholarship for just about anything. If you're Italian like I am, if you're American Indian, and even if you're left handed for example.

African Americans can't enter such contests if they don't meet these requirements and vice versa. Every different culture, race, and other special talents deserve to have their own separate scholarships.

To say that these African Americans who gain these scholarships get "easy breaks" is ignorant considering the number of people who apply for these scholarships are hard workers.

Contention #2: The CON (against) speaker is not looking hard enough for scholarships
I pose to the CON speaker to look online, Google college scholarships among other things. Just because your high school may not have many essay competitions that you qualify for doesn't mean they aren't out there.

I also think you are overstating the situation in your school. To tell me there are no essay competitions in your school whatsoever for you is I believe false.

There are college scholarships again as I stated for Italians, Irish people, and different people who would be considered "White."

Contention #3: Scholarships are earned, not handed out.

As I stated earlier, in the rumble tumble world that is now college scholarships there are now people applying more then ever. To say that just any person gets such scholarships would be ignorant of the process. These people that hand out the scholarships look at your grades, G.P.A, after school activities, volunteer work, and whether you have a job.

To try and take away such scholarships because you may not qualify for them are wrong. I have no idea what ethnicity you are, but if you Google a scholarship for it then I'm sure it's out there.

Also, usually to get such scholarships they must write say something like an essay.

Here's an example website of unusual scholarships that people can apply for:
http://scholarship.lifetips.com...

And here:
http://www.finaid.org...

And might as well send you here:
http://www.google.com...

Just because the CON speaker does not want to take the time to find such scholarships is not African Americans, mine, or anyone else's problem but his own.

I am sure that if you take the time, do the research, and apply that you will get the scholarships you want/need for college.

I would like to take this time to once again thank the CON team for creating this debate and I urge everyone to vote for PRO when that time comes.
sal757

Con

sal757 forfeited this round.
Robert_Santurri

Pro

I would just like to take this time to ask that the readers/voters extend my whole case down as my opponent has failed to come up with a response in a reasonable amount of time.

My opponent has forfeited this round and I do hope he will return for Round 3 so we shall be able to continue this debate. If he does, I ask that you do remember his forfeit in this round.

Thank you again for taking the time to read this debate and please do what is right when the time comes by voting PRO.

- Robert
sal757

Con

sal757 forfeited this round.
Robert_Santurri

Pro

I would just like to take this time to ask once again that the readers/voters extend my whole case down as my opponent has failed to come up with a response in a reasonable amount of time.

My opponent has forfeited both the second and third round. I have disproven my opponent's points while none of mine have been disproven.

I realize that past the first round this has been a short debate but I would like to thank you again for reading this debate.

Finally, I ask for you the reader/voter to do what it is right and vote PRO above.

Thank you

- Robert
Posted by wjmelements 8 years ago
wjmelements
I'd take up this debate as CON.
However, obviously, PRO must be defaulted to.
Posted by scissorhands7 8 years ago
scissorhands7
Obviously you can't win if you dont post. Therefore Pro wins by default.

Con: If your going to debate at least attempt to come up with a response, its very unfair to the Pro for not at least attempting this.
Posted by JBlake 8 years ago
JBlake
MY vote goes Pro for obvious reasons, mostly in line with those of Kleptin below.

I will also congratulate Pro on a coherence of flow in his R1 argument. It is well written and easy to follow.
Posted by Kleptin 8 years ago
Kleptin
Kleptin- Voting as a Cleaner

Conduct:

Robert was the only one to address the audience and maintain a professional composure. Sal, in offering his points, wrote as if though he were speaking, and a more formal expression of his viewpoints would have been necessary to win in this category. The points go to Robert.

Spelling and Grammar:

Many noticable grammatical errors on Sal's end. Apostrophes were left out, "alot" should be split into two words, and sentence structure was poor. Robert had comparatively few spelling/grammar errors if any, as they were much less noticeable. Points go to Robert.

Strength of Arguments:

Robert's counterpoints were on the mark, and were sufficient to debunk Sal's argument. Sal offered no rebuttal. Points go to Robert.

Citation of Sources:

Robert was the only one to do so, whereas the only examples brought forth by Sal were the examples of scholarships. Robert criticized this directly as one of his contentions, claiming Sal did not "search hard enough". This leads the audience to question any factual evidence brought forth by Sal.

**Special Notes**

Sal made an introductory statement and did not make any subsequent rebuttals.
Posted by Robert_Santurri 8 years ago
Robert_Santurri
Well my opponent has forfeited the last two rounds so hopefully my last two arguments were supportive enough as to why I should win this debate.

Do what is right and please vote PRO.
Posted by Robert_Santurri 8 years ago
Robert_Santurri
I do wish my opponent had showed up for Round 2 but he didn't.

I just ask the reader/voter to extend my argument down and take note of what I added.

I do hope to have a Round 3 debate but if another forfeit occurs then the obvious choice would be PRO.
Posted by Robert_Santurri 8 years ago
Robert_Santurri
I do wish my opponent will come online sometime in the next twenty four hours so we may continue our debate.

I've got about a dozen more points lined up haha.
Posted by PoeJoe 8 years ago
PoeJoe
I've often thought about this issue to no avail. My logical mind tells me that African Americans need help, but my personal interests (I am Asian) conflict with that. There are a lot of other factors that contribute to my confusion as well, but point taken: I'll watch this debate closely.
Posted by Robert_Santurri 8 years ago
Robert_Santurri
Thank you for commenting.

I am hoping sal757 will return online sometime in the next day or so we can continue this debate.
Posted by Rezzealaux 8 years ago
Rezzealaux
Your case is effective at this point in time.
Vote Placed by Smithereens 4 years ago
Smithereens
sal757Robert_SanturriTied
Reasons for voting decision: mercy point? :}
Vote Placed by Logical-Master 8 years ago
Logical-Master
sal757Robert_SanturriTied
Vote Placed by Robert_Santurri 8 years ago
Robert_Santurri
sal757Robert_SanturriTied
Vote Placed by wjmelements 8 years ago
wjmelements
sal757Robert_SanturriTied
Vote Placed by alanas224 8 years ago
alanas224
sal757Robert_SanturriTied
Vote Placed by Harlan 8 years ago
Harlan
sal757Robert_SanturriTied
Vote Placed by eddietastic 8 years ago
eddietastic
sal757Robert_SanturriTied
Vote Placed by JBlake 8 years ago
JBlake
sal757Robert_SanturriTied
Vote Placed by Kleptin 8 years ago
Kleptin
sal757Robert_SanturriTied