Wyverntail51
BradlyS

After patches, Assassin's Creed Unity is a good game.

Started: 12/7/2015 Category: Games

Wyverntail51

Pro

Pre-argument and some rules

My argument is that after patches, Assassin's Creed Unity is a good game that is faithful in to the games of the "golden period" (AC 1, 2, and Brotherhood) in terms of feeling and gameplay. More will be elaborated once the challenge is accepted.

The opponent will take up the opposite stance based on the idea that even after patching AC Unity remains a bad game and is a poor comparison to older games of the same series. The opponent may not say that all the games are bad or deviate from the con presented. After the opponent accepts in round 1 actual debating will begin in round 2.

Once the opponent accepts both sides will present their points. Due to the argument points can be based not only on fact but also on personal feelings such as regarding the atmosphere of previous games and personal experiences regarding Unity's story and gameplay after the bugs were fixed.

Before beginning I wish to remind that all arguments should be made regarding Unity after all bugs were patched.
BradlyS

Con

While ACU has many historical events the game has unrealistic fighting controls, and all the characters have English accents even though they live in France.
Wyverntail51

Pro

I thank my opponent for accepting the challenge. First of all I wish to ask the opponent to clarify what they mean by the fighting being unrealistic. Does it mean that the fighting itself is unrealistic or that the controls are impossible to use to their full potential. If it's the former I would like to state that the assassins creed series of video games has never been based on total realism. From doing leaps of faith to eagle vision the series' mechanics revolve around portraying the main character as a ideal assassin while also making them as much a badass as possible. Naturally this includes the fighting mechanics which are based around the flashy and flowing assassinations of multiple people.

In regard to the British accents I admit that that was a definite oversight on the part of Ubisoft. There seems no real reason to have the French speak in British accents considering that the French accent is not rare or hard to imitate. The only real reason that I can see for this is that the it was cheaper to hire British voice actors since their language is already English.
BradlyS

Con

When I said that the fighting mechanics are unrealistic I mean when you are fighting a large group of people some of them just stand there and do nothing, if it was realistic then they would be constantly attacking you.
Wyverntail51

Pro

I admit that the fighting mechanics of assassin's creed unity are mostly unrealistic in the fact that when fighting groups you are almost never attacked by more than two at a time. However, there are two points for why this is not necessarily a bad thing. The first is that this is true of practically any fighting game with fights against multiple enemies. The purpose of a video game is mainly to entertain. For this reason it is necessary to balance realism and fun. Video games that have you being rushed by everyone at once would be closer to realism but would be much less fun due to the fact that the average player would be completely unable to counterattack leading to instant death or at the very least an over reliance on health potions and running away. Assassin's creed has always done a good job of making fighting in the game a good combination of fun and realism. Often you are attacked by two people at once or are grabbed from behind while someone else hits you. This allows for realism while also opening the door for fun combination kills and counters.

The second reason for why this fighting mechanic is not a downfall of the game is that in real many on one fights it would be a stupid tactic for everyone to rush in and attack. With 6 people attacking one person there would be a definite case of people getting in the way of others. A better tactic would be closer to the one described in the game. Have two people attack from opposite sides, making it necessary for the defender to split their attention between the two. As such the mechanic in the game is not so much a downfall of the game as it is a necessity for making the game more fun through combos and counters.
BradlyS

Con

BradlyS forfeited this round.
Wyverntail51

Pro

Wyverntail51 forfeited this round.
BradlyS

Con

BradlyS forfeited this round.