w.toosmart
JacobAnderson

Against Gendercide.

w.toosmart

Pro

Gendercide is the killing of a specific gender. It happens through out the world, though mostly in China and India. The ration of male to female is as high as 120 men to 100 women. Aproximately, hundreds of thousands die across the world, in case of gendercide.

In rural India, the centuries-old practice of female infanticide can still be considered a wise course of action. From 978 female to 1000 male in 1901... the numers have changed over time, 923 female to 1000 male in 2010.

In China, tradition of infanticide and abandonment, especially of females, existed in China before the foundation of the People's Republic in 1949. More than 50 million women were estimated to be 'missing' in China because of the institutionalized killing and neglect of girls due to Beijing's population control program that limits parents to one child.

Gendercide is a big problem in the world, it may not be completly solved, but the hope is that it will decrease.
JacobAnderson

Con

In India, many women are treated as lesser than men, raped and killed without any type of justice. With more than 24,000 reported cases in 2011, rape registered a 9.2% rise over the previous year. More than half (54.7%) of the victims were aged between 18 and 30 [1]. With rape on the rise, India is becoming a more and more dangerous area for women to roam around. Is there an escape? According to cbcnews, a UK woman jumped from a hotel room in order to prevent a sexual attack. This hotel was located in India, and although the woman was on a visit from the UK, she still fell victim to sexual assault [2]. This shows the intensity of the objectification and heinous thoughts toward women in this region.
In addition to my previous quote, Police records from 2011 show kidnappings and abductions of women were up 19.4%, women being killed in disputes over dowry payments by 2.7%, torture by 5.4%, molestation by 5.8% and trafficking by an alarming 122% over the previous year [1]. This shows an increase in disgusting, immoral crimes againt women, specifically trafficking (deal or trade in something illegal; selling of women's sexual services). Knowing that this is the fate for majority of the "lucky," born women, how can we morally ban gendercide and bring the new born females to fall victim of the inevitable? If we think of this, as sickening as it is, as a market, if there are more products (in this case women), there are more distributions. We have to think less about the gender ratios and more about the condition of life that these females will have.

In China, women are treatly as poorly, if not worse than, women in India. According to OneNewsNow, China is ranked among other nations where abuses in trafficking of women and children are prevalent [3]. I stress again that it is immoral to subject females to this atrocity. svri.org [4] states that patriarchal authority at home and in society [are] societal factors that increase risk of sexual violence. It is clear that China is a patriarchal society, thus increasing the risk of sexual violence against women. Shame is a particularly strong factor that deters Chinese from seeking outside professional help. With high rape statistics and a lack of seeking of help due to shame, there can be a countless number of cases that no one knows about which can thus increase the intensity and statistics and make it all the more likely for any girl to fall victim for this.

Questions for you to answer:
1. Previously asked, Knowing that this is the fate for majority of the "lucky," born women, how can we morally ban gendercide and bring the new born females to fall victim of the inevitable?

[1] http://www.bbc.com...
[2] http://www.cbc.ca...;
[3] http://www.onenewsnow.com...
w.toosmart

Pro

Just to made this clear, I am against gendercide. My opponent posted information on gendercide and why gendercide is horrible. I am sorry if there was any confusion at all.

In both India and China, that population of males are getting higher while females are getting lower. Many people question why human would do things such as killing people of a certain sex. Sometimes I question myself the same thing. Religion is a factor when it comes to gendercide. In some religion, men are more superior than womens, that causes women to appear "weaker". Rape is one of the major crimes against women. For example, there had been approximately 16 000 case of rape in just India in 2001. This number has been raised to 26 000 by 2012. So it is clear that this specific problem isn't getting solved. There are organizations all around the world, trying to stop this inhumanity, many went without success.

Gendercide also links to genocide. Genocide is the killing of people with certain racial, ethnic, religious or national group. Many women are, in a way, killed both because of their race and gender. The reason why India and China are the countries that face these problem more than others, are particularly because of their traditions. In China, women traditionally serve men, the women cleans, cooks, and reproduce. In their tradition, there isn't anything else to be done by a women. Over time women are beginning to be viewed differently, but in some cases not.

As the answer to your question:
Like I said before, this problem will not be solved completely, but the hope is that it will decrease. I think that with this particular issue, we'll need more media attention. And if caught doing gendercide, the punishment should heavier.

JacobAnderson

Con

Just to make this clear, I am against gendercide. My opponent posted information on gendercide and why gendercide is horrible. I am sorry if there was any confusion at all.
I also apologize as you seem a little confused. My entire debate was based on the heinous, horrible fates that women face in these countries, therefore stating my opinion that gendercide is the better way out rather than knowing the females will soon fall victim of rape and murder. I know that you are arguing against gendercide and I am arguing for gendercide. I never once in my argument mentioned that gendercide was in any way horrible.

Though you have used no cites to prove anything in your argument, I will selectively argue what I believe to be true. You stated, there had been approximately 16000 cases of rape in India in 2001. This is the exact reason why I argued for gendercide, to avoid being responsible for bringing a female into the world when you know this is something that WILL happen to them. Basically, with your rape statistics, you are reenforcing my arguments and not building your own arguments.

You said that gendercide will lead to genocide. Unless you have proof of this, it is illogical to state. Just because two things are similar does not mean that one will happen because of the other. Buying oranges is equivalent yet different to buying anything else. Stating that gendercide leads to genocide will suggest that buying oranges will soon lead to buying apples because you are purchasing both and they are both fruit. Until you have proof, this statement is highly illogical.

Also, you did not answer my question. HOW CAN WE MORALLY ALLOW FEMALES TO BE BORN IN INDIA IN CHINA IF WE KNOW THAT ONE DAY THEY WILL BE RAPED AND MURDERED?
w.toosmart

Pro

Thank you for clarifying the problems.

Therefore stating my opinion that gendercide is the better way out rather than knowing the females will soon fall victim of rape and murder.
This is the exact reason why I argued for gendercide, to avoid being responsible for bringing a female into the world when you know this is something that WILL happen to them.
You mentioned that gendercide is better if the females are just going to get raped or murdered. So, you're basically saying that womens shouldn't even be born.

These women didn't get a choice of where or when they were going to get born, so killing them would be like killing innocent people. As for their parents, some didn't have choice. In both India and China and several more countries, the economy is bad. Over 60% of the worlds population is in Asia, 2.51 billion is from India and China alone. So, if you are to tell a population of 2.51 billion people to stop reproducing, to prevent the birth of females, how would you do so?
As for genocide leading genocide, I didn't say that those two were the same things. I said they could both be part of the reasons, why womens are murdered.

Proof that gendercide and genocide are linked.
http://www.gendercide.org...

The answer to your question:
In order to prevent females to come into the world , adults needs to stop reproducing. That would lead to extinction for that race. And remember gendercide happens ALL around the world.

http://geography.about.com...
JacobAnderson

Con

So you're basically saying that women shouldn't even be born.
In these regions-which we've been concentrated on the whole debate- I do believe the women shouldn't be born as I have shown rape, murder, sexual assault statistics in these countries. I say that women should not be born because if they are born, they are going to feel prejudice, sexism, and in the worst case, they my get raped and/or murdered. Ethically, I would rather end the life of a female before they enter the world and develop these feelings and get physically hurt with nothing I can do to stop it.

So, if you are to tell a population of 2.51 billion people to stop reproducing, to prevent the birth of females, how would you do so?
This whole debate is about gendercide, which is exactly what they are doing to prevent females from being born and raised- they kill them early in life or get an abortion.

Women*, please. Also, you haven't proved that gendercide leads to genocide, you've only established that both kill women. So we will qualify that statement and argument to be false.

And once again, you did not answer my question nor did you even attempt to mention morals.

Thanks for the debate.