jarlbank
TrueScotsman

Age limit for trick-or treating

jarlbank

Con

Should there be an age limit to trick-or-treating? Are you ok with giving candy to a collage student?

I am arguing that there should not be an age limit

Rules:
Round 1 is to accept the debate, not to argue the other three rounds are for the debate
If you resign, the opposing side will automatically win
If you use articles cite your work (can be in comments)
Respect your opponent
TrueScotsman

Pro

I accept!

Interesting debate topic, looking forward to a respectful and thoughtful debate.

Your move. :)
jarlbank

Con

Ones love for candy will stick around through the years. Trick-or-treating is a good way to fill that passion. Along with getting free candy, you express your creativity through a costume, mingle with friends, and adults who choose not to trick-or-treat but pass out candy to see costumes that can bring smiles to faces. With this law, may experiences will be ruined. One of the first would be the adult with his/her kid(s), turing the experience fro an adult from something enjoyable to a drag. To take candy from the kid would be steeling. Also most people do choose to stop trick or treating in their teen years anyway. Elderlies and people in hospitals look forward to this day, so if they can't trick-or-treat this fun day wont be available.
TrueScotsman

Pro

Well poo... I somehow mistakenly thought that I would be promoting the idea of a no age limit. Since I have accepted, I will use my extensive ability to play the devil's advocate to see if I can win this debate. :)

My argument for including an age limit is built on the below contentions

1. The origin of trick or treating.
2. It's continued tradition from the 1890s in Scotland to the 1940s in the USA.
3. The method by which this limit could be enforced.

Since I have pretty much no room to flesh out my individual points (due to the debate format) I cannot fully develop my points in this posting. As an adult, I purchase candy to hand out to children, not fellow adults who can also afford teh candy themselves.

Kind Regards,
TrueScotsman

jarlbank

Con

I will start out by saying that it is true that trick-or-treating's origin was originally a thing for children how ever things do evolve and now we have no problem with parents going with the children, and thus leading back to my original point of a fun experience for both the parents and children. I will also agree that you could alter the law so that parents or such could come with trick or treating, as I that is what I assume you are trying to get at with your third point, but there can and will be loopholes that would be found and used allowing people that would normal under the modified law not be able to trick-or-treat to go with a child or use some other method to obtain candy. This is my argument against the pro's points in speech.
TrueScotsman

Pro

Hello,

It appears you are reframing your argument to include the idea of parents accompanying their children. Though rather ambiguous as to their participation in the practice of "trick-or-treating." My contention is that age-limits should be set forth not to exclude parents from accompanying their children, younger children should have their parents with them. Rather, to exclude adults from going around and collecting free candy.

This should not be enforced by law, but handled at the level of the communities themselves. Parents should not go up with their children to collect the candy, unless to grab it for their younger children, but can instead wait behind their children as they enjoy trick or treating. Points 1 and 2 will be argued next.
jarlbank

Con

Both True Scotsman think that the character limit is too low for the argument, so we will recreate with the same topic but more characters. DO NOT vote on this debate instead you can vote on the other debate when it has been completed.
TrueScotsman

Pro

TrueScotsman forfeited this round.
Posted by jarlbank 3 years ago
jarlbank
I have to agree with you. When I had chosen 750 characters I had done so thinking it was words I shall gladly create a new topic where we can argue in more detail, so for the final round I am just posting that I am recreating the debate.
Posted by TrueScotsman 3 years ago
TrueScotsman
This 750 character limit is extremely difficult to argue any sort of case with supporting evidence. Under these conditions I cannot properly argue my case. Perhaps you would like to debate the same topic under new and improved conditions?
Posted by Pratt_nlights 3 years ago
Pratt_nlights
I accept that the age limit for trick/treating shouldn't be metted!