PlainTruth
bhealey

Age of Accountability

PlainTruth

Con

I grew up in a Christian home and thank God for it many years later. While growing up (and since) I have heard the age of accountability argument. It is, basically, a child is not accountable for his sins before a certain age (no one really knows this age). Even though this is articulated nowhere in Scripture it is argued often by the church. Even though Christians believe all have sinned and fallen short of the Glory of God, for some reason many don't believe the child is accountable for his sins...all children go to heaven. If Hitler would have been a child of God until his eventual crimes against humanity...wouldn't it have been better he was killed just before reaching this age of accountability?
My question to anyone who believes this non-sense is this:
If you truly believe you child would go to heaven and spend an eternity with Jesus if they were to die before they reach this age of accountability then why take the chance? Why let them grow up and chance hell? I know it sounds harsh (and I am in no way a proponent of any harm to kids) but wouldn't it be better to have this life ended and have the child's soul go to heaven?
I am interested in anyone who believes this. I am also interested in having the debater show me Scripture for this belief.

Looking forward:
bhealey

Pro

I accept this debate.
PlainTruth

Con

OK.
Let us begin.
bhealey

Pro

bhealey forfeited this round.
PlainTruth

Con

PlainTruth forfeited this round.
bhealey

Pro

bhealey forfeited this round.
Posted by DeeAnn 2 years ago
DeeAnn
I personally believe that they get a second life to accept/not accept Christ so it wouldn't be a good thing to die prepubescent nor would it be a bad thing. (in other words, they would not get an instant access to heaven nor would it be a favor to kill babies/toddlers) I have no proof for this, but it is what I find logical.
Posted by DeeAnn 2 years ago
DeeAnn
He didn't copy and paste, he just gave you a link for you to consider. If he accepted your debate and only posted that, then you could mock him, but not this website. Many debates go un-contended simply due to the fact that it is an unpopular topic. But it has only been 4 hours; be patient.
Posted by Boesball 2 years ago
Boesball
I have some good points for the pro side, but I'd rather just watch this debate. I don't want to advantage anyone here.
Posted by PlainTruth 2 years ago
PlainTruth
Mikal,

You are correct and if you don't search the Scriptures for the truth you will not know what pre-destination is.
Many believe King David's baby went to heaven and they base this theory on the fact that he died before reaching the age of accountability. While this has no Scriptural basis it is believed anyway because most don't want to think of a god who sends babies to hell. We, as finite humans, will go against the infinite when we can't explain in. I on the other hand believe in an Infinite God who does not sit in heaven hoping humanity will accept His Sacrifice but has orchestrated salvation to be in accordance with His Mercy and Will!
2 Tim 1:9 "Who has saved us and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace which was given to us before time began." Yes God, before time began, chose us in Him according to His own purpose. When pre-destination is fully understood, only then can you understand it has nothing to do with an age of accountability.
Again, my argument...if one believes this then why do they let their offspring grow up and risk hell?
Posted by Mikal 2 years ago
Mikal
The argument is a subsidy for questions like "what happens if babies die without accepting Christ"

Essentially meaning if someone is incapable of understanding about what it means to accept Christ, God will accept them into heaven regardless because they do not fully understand the message of Christ. Etc and so forth
Posted by PlainTruth 2 years ago
PlainTruth
OK,
Fair enough, just what finite reasoning do you wish to base your belief on? I will respectfully say to you, if you wish to debate this without Scripture then find a different debate, I can only base my belief on the Infinite Creator and His Word.
Posted by Outsider 2 years ago
Outsider
I am somewhat interested in debating this, however I dislike any debate that relies on scripture.
Posted by PlainTruth 2 years ago
PlainTruth
Just one more...I couldn't resist.
"Romans 14:12 - So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God"... is one of the verses you copy-n-pasted is for which side of the argument? It seems to be stating the simple fact that EVERYONE OF US SHALL GIVE AN ACCOUNT... oops I mean everyone of us who has sin, it is obviously not referring to our sinless children who need no Savior because they haven't reached the age of sin (I mean accountability).
Posted by PlainTruth 2 years ago
PlainTruth
Wow, a copy-n-paste...how nice.
I thought, foolishly as I did, that there would be someone who would actually debate this, as this is "Debate.org". I didn't know I was on cut-n-paste.org...so sorry it must be my mistake.

Mistake and all I thought I'd chime in. The kingjamesbibleonline.org that you posted for your 'debate'(?) listed verses such as: "But Jesus said, Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven" and this is an argument for........? "Say unto them, [As truly as] I live, saith the LORD, as ye have spoken in mine ears, so will I do to you" and this is trying to say......?
I am looking more for someone who can think, not just regurgitate what they were told. There is much to be said for actually reading Scripture and not just hearing someone saying something.

Still looking for an actual debate!