Foxxy
Mangani

Age of consent laws should not be legal

Foxxy

Pro

I'm doing this because im doing a persuasive essay. Someone please help me i have good points.

I think the age of consent laws should not be legal because people are going to do it anyway even if its illegal to do. For example if a 18 year old is dating a 14 year old before or even after he turns 18 and they feel that strongly for each other they are going to have sex if its what they want to do and legally right now in California it is illegal and would justify in a misdemeanor which would exempt the 18 year old from doing certain things but they are still going to do it because they want to its a rebellious teenager thing. My opinion is they laws should not exist
they just make us want to do it more.
Mangani

Con

My opponent is a 14 year old female. I am a 29 year old male. In her view, I should not go to jail, nor suffer any type of legal consequence if I have sex with her. As a grown man who is double her age- I disagree. I think it would be sick of me to have sex with someone who could be my own daughter, and I am sure her father would agree. Now that I have gotten that off of my chest, let's get to the debate.

Contention #1- Age of consent laws are in place to protect the child.
Let's consider the statements I made above. I was 14 in 1993. My opponent had not yet been born. At the time I had uncles, aunts, teachers, and other people in positions of authority who were both younger than I am now, and slightly older than I am now. I looked up to these people, and relied on many of them for emotional, financial, spiritual, and familial support. At that age I even looked up to the Seniors in High School, and they looked old to me. I was easily manipulated by people slightly above my age, and luckily never encountered anyone twice my age who tried to manipulate me into having sex- even if I wouldn't have felt manipulated. At the time I was also a babysitter. My neighbors trusted me with their six year old daughter, whom looked up to me as her older brother. I was a young man going through puberty, and never had any sexual attraction to anyone lower than my age range. Now, if it's ok for a 29 year old to have sex with a 14 year old, is it also ok for a 14 year old to have sex with a six year old? I am sure that question just filled my opponent with repugnance... or at least I hope it did.

Age of consent laws protect younger minds and bodies from the manipulative, impulsive, and much more sexual mental acuity of those who are older.

Contention #2- Age of consent laws are based on precedence.
Many children have suffered sexual abuse. We often hear stories of children who innocently took part in what they thought were "games", only to later find out they were molested by a person they trusted... like a priest, an uncle, or a teacher. Without age of consent laws, what would deter pedophiles from having their way with unsuspecting children?

Contention #3- Without age of consent laws, where do we draw the line?
I gave the example of my opponent- who is a 14 year old female. What if she were 12? What if she were 10? What if she were 4? Where do we draw the line?

I will allow my opponent to respond...
Foxxy

Pro

omgosh... your right.... im beginning to change my feel on not having the laws... but i think they should be altered a little bit. i give up you won completely. now im changing my essay topic
Mangani

Con

I am glad my opponent has changed her mind. I have a daughter of my own, and feel this is a very personal issue. I have also worked with many women who were abused sexually as children- some not against their will. Though at the time they felt "ready" and "willing", they later found out they were not. I have even spoken with women who were raped, and did not realize it until I explained to them that they could not have been a willing partner in the sexual acts committed against them, ie. I had a friend who told me she had sex with two guys at once. At first she seemed amused, and when she told me the story she said she "thought" they penetrated her anally. I asked what she meant by "thought", and she said that they had given her lots of alcohol and had gotten her high. I explained to her that this was rape, as she was not capable of consenting to this. At first she seemed apprehensive. I asked her if she would tell anybody else she had sex with these two guys, and that they penetrated her anally. She said no- I was the only person she had told. I asked her if she was proud- she said no. I asked her if she felt violated- she said yes. She felt violated because she was. Rape occurs amongst adults beyond the age of consent- even amongst "friends".

"Although some young people may feel that they are mature enough to engage in a sexual relationship, others may lack the emotional development to deal with this or to feel confident enough to say 'no'. Age of consent laws are there to protect young people from being sexually exploited by adults." (http://www.avert.org...)

My opponent, even if she has conceded her original premise, now states that the laws "should be altered a little bit". She originally invoked California law, so let's examine age of consent in California and debate whether these laws should be "altered a little bit".

CALIFORNIA CODES
PENAL CODE
261.5. (a) Unlawful sexual intercourse is an act of sexual intercourse accomplished with a person who is not the spouse of the perpetrator, if the person is a minor. For the purposes of this section, a "minor" is a person under the age of 18 years and an "adult" is a person who is at least 18 years of age.
(b) Any person who engages in an act of unlawful sexual intercourse with a minor who is not more than three years older or three years younger than the perpetrator, is guilty of a misdemeanor.
(c) Any person who engages in an act of unlawful sexual intercourse with a minor who is more than three years younger than the perpetrator is guilty of either a misdemeanor or a felony, and shall be punished by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year, or by imprisonment in the state prison.
(d) Any person 21 years of age or older who engages in an act of unlawful sexual intercourse with a minor who is under 16 years of age is guilty of either a misdemeanor or a felony, and shall be punished by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year, or by imprisonment in the state prison for two, three, or four years.

What this law basically states is that persons who are 18 years of age may legally (in most cases) have sexual intercourse with someone who is 15, but not 14. Why should we alter this law? I think the law protects children as it is stated, and though my opponent may feel ready enough to be with an 18 year old, I am sure there are other 14 year olds who are not. I'm sure there are 17 year olds who are not as well- and that is why rape laws are also in place. Any altering of the law in favor of the mature adversely affects the intended protectorate of the law, ie. the 14 year old child.
Foxxy

Pro

OK i completely agree with you now. the laws should not be altered and should remain as is.
Mangani

Con

I'm happy you learned something, and I hope you understand I am not attempting to offend you by stating that a 14 year old is a child. I am sure you are mature, and enlightened at your age. Your learning from this debate and acceptance that you were wrong is a good sign of maturity.
Foxxy

Pro

I did learn something. I completely understand now. Thank you soo much.
Mangani

Con

Well, there is no reason to present any further arguments. I hope the readers are satisfied with the arguments we have presented.
Foxxy

Pro

Foxxy forfeited this round.
Mangani

Con

Thank you for the opportunity to debate this topic with you.
Posted by dieguixd 8 years ago
dieguixd
con you had a great argument there it is stupid though, when older people go to younger ppl like that its either they just want sex or on one of their age pays attention to them
Posted by bgruber93 8 years ago
bgruber93
That was a dumb debate but con great arguments
Posted by Foxxy 8 years ago
Foxxy
eww that was a disgusting joke!
Posted by Tatarize 8 years ago
Tatarize
Stole it from Emo Phillips. So classic.
Posted by Mangani 8 years ago
Mangani
LOL... sick joke!
Posted by Tatarize 8 years ago
Tatarize
I took the side of pro in this debate and my girlfriend called me a pedophile and kicked me out of bed... can you believe that a "pedophile" -- That's a pretty big word for a 9-year-old.
Posted by s0m31john 8 years ago
s0m31john
http://img241.imageshack.us...
I'll show you later.
Posted by s0m31john 8 years ago
s0m31john
"What if she were 4?"
ITS AWWRRRRRRRIIGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHTTTTTT
Posted by Ragnar_Rahl 8 years ago
Ragnar_Rahl
And don't you know you're wrong?
You only make me want to hear it that much more
And don't you know you make it much more fun?
That's why we love you, Tipper Gore
Posted by Foxxy 8 years ago
Foxxy
NO foxxy has not "done it."
my opinion is they laws should not exist
they just make us want to do it more
Vote Placed by Nails 7 years ago
Nails
FoxxyManganiTied
Vote Placed by BellumQuodPacis 7 years ago
BellumQuodPacis
FoxxyManganiTied
Vote Placed by Xer 7 years ago
Xer
FoxxyManganiTied
Vote Placed by NYCDiesel 8 years ago
NYCDiesel
FoxxyManganiTied
Vote Placed by KeithKroeger91 8 years ago
KeithKroeger91
FoxxyManganiTied
Vote Placed by Tatarize 8 years ago
Tatarize
FoxxyManganiTied
Vote Placed by Mangani 8 years ago
Mangani
FoxxyManganiTied