Bryanvw
rwmmiller

Age of the Earth

Bryanvw

Pro

This is not a debate on whether God exist or not, this a debate on how old the earth is based on biblical beliefs.
Based on Christianity the earth is around 6,000 years old, but science has found trees around 9,000 years old. This could be a fluke in carbon dating or could it could be that God's idea of time is much longer than humans.
What are your thoughts?
rwmmiller

Con

I am not aware that the God, taught in the Bible, has anything to do with time. Time on Earth is relative to the time it took for the Sun to orbit the flat Earth, since we were perceived as the center of the Universe. However, depending where one might be in the Universe, time would probably be measured by some other physical phenomena. What clock would an existence use if that existence had always been, and will always be, as taught in the Bible.

I doubt that Adam's first thought was to find out what time it might have been, or that he decided that the Earth's clock would be based on the revolution of the Sun.

In other words, I am arguing that Moses was using conventional wisdom when he wrote Genesis. Maybe, one day, we will find the Garden of Eden, dig up Adam, and carbon date him. Maybe that 9000 year old tree was the original apple tree.
Bryanvw

Pro

God has everything to do with time, he created the Sun to orbit the Earth which like you said gives us time. Genesis 1:14 " Then God said, "Let there be lights in the firmament of the Heavens to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs and seasons, and for days and years." Now since God is in the Heavens and not on Earth then his time would be different from ours. Moses wrote in Genesis that it took God 6 days to create the earth and he rested on the 7th, but in 2 Peter 3:8 it says "..do not forget this one thing, that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day." So what I get from reading that verse is that 7 days could very well have actually been 7,000 years. Then if you believe that from Adam to the Flood was 2,000 years and from the Flood to Jesus was 2,000 years, and it's been another 2,000 years since that, then the Earth would roughly be 13,000 years old.

I'm not claiming I'm right. This is just my take on it until I am presented with new information that can prove other wise.
Thanks for you input @rwmmiller
rwmmiller

Con

I am not aware that the God taught in the Bible has anything to do with time. Time on Earth is relative to the time it took for the Sun to orbit the flat Earth, since we were perceived as the center of the Universe. However, depending where one might be in the universe, time would probably be measured by some other physical phenomena. What clock would an existence use if that existence had always been, and will always be, as taught in the Bible.

I doubt that Adams first thought was to find out what time it might have been, or that he decided that the Earths clock would be based on the revolution of the Sun.

In other words, I am arguing that Moses was using conventional wisdom when he wrote Genesis. Maybe, one day, we will find the Garden of Eden, dig up Adam, and carbon date him.

Yes, God created time! My premise is that God, Himself, has no use for time in His existence. Do you believe it took "time" for God to create anything? Is God limited to the 5 senses of smell, sight, hearing, touch, and taste? How can He possibly communicate with us when we are limited by these senses and time. For us to understand, he must use our awareness's, but they most likely have no relationship to His awareness. In other words, He must use some sort of analogy, metaphor, parable, etc.
As in Peter, ". . . one day is as a thousand years. . ." Peter is not saying "is" a thousand years. Regarding Genesis, before there was light and days consisting of light and dark, there was "confusion." How long did this "confusion" last before we had a time measurement? Could it be one earth day, 6,000 Earth days, 13,000 Earth days or 13 billion Earth days?
I think it mattered not to God how long it took in time. If we accept modern science's estimate, will God care? If he would care, why?

Can we agree that God created time, but He has no use for it in His Realm, and neither will we?
Posted by Finalfan 2 years ago
Finalfan
Never make a debate 2 rounds! It should not even be an option!
Posted by Bryanvw 2 years ago
Bryanvw
No it never directly states the age of the earth but Biblical Scholars have created a timeline of the events that took place in the Bible. @Benshapiro
Posted by Benshapiro 2 years ago
Benshapiro
The Bible never states the age of the earth anywhere
Posted by The_Scapegoat_bleats 2 years ago
The_Scapegoat_bleats
You asked a question.
What is your actual resolution? What would I have to argue?
Posted by Megalobrainiac 2 years ago
Megalobrainiac
What the hell is this debate?
Vote Placed by Finalfan 2 years ago
Finalfan
BryanvwrwmmillerTied
Reasons for voting decision: What an adorable debate!