Sevensipe
LoneWolf04

Age restrictions

Started: 10/25/2013 Category: Games

Sevensipe

Con

Video games shouldn't have age restrictions. They should say ask parents permission. Because most age restrictions aren't bothered with. Im 12 and i play GTA 5. I don't give a crap only if my mom or dad lets me. Because they understand i know the difference between video games and reality. I get soooo mad when people s "Your too young to play this" I say "Im allowed too" And it never ends.
LoneWolf04

Pro

Initiatives to place age restrictions on products (more specifically games and other media) were started for more than one reason. Firstly, there is the reason that you lightly touched upon. Y'know, the whole (protecting younger peoples from being exposed to sensitive material before they're deemed ready.) But the main reason is to protect corporate interest. You see, if I were a big game-designer and distributor, and I made a game with intense language and multiple scenes of hardcore nudity and there were no laws governing who that game could be sold to, I would be vulnerable. Purely because of the fact that if a younger person, (for argument's sake, let's say this person is 10 years of age), came in and bought my game, took it home and played it and ended up emotionally traumatised, I'd be liable for that. So, by having an agency to 'categorise' if you will the age group the game is appropriate for and restrict anyone outside of that demographic from buying it, I am protected. That's because I have made it clear that it is not 'suitable', and I've only made it possible for that demographic to buy it. If, for whatever reason someone younger than the age suggested plays it, I can't then be responsible - and any emotional damage they suffer is pawned off onto whoever supplied the minor with the material.
Sevensipe

Con

Sevensipe forfeited this round.
LoneWolf04

Pro

LoneWolf04 forfeited this round.
Sevensipe

Con

Sevensipe forfeited this round.
LoneWolf04

Pro

LoneWolf04 forfeited this round.
Posted by L3v1A5h3 3 years ago
L3v1A5h3
i'm sorry, but there used to be a time when parents actually cared if their children play rated M games because of whats in it. i say it stays because that time might come again.
Posted by shreyasdixit 3 years ago
shreyasdixit
I am with the contender!!
Posted by TrueScotsman 3 years ago
TrueScotsman
Basically your argument is that it is inconvenient because of the fact you are 12 years old.... Perhaps you should realize that 12 year olds don't necessarily have their best interest in mind, I sure didn't and you're no exception. This debate is very much so won by LoneWolf04
Posted by xatoo 3 years ago
xatoo
I'm with you on this one, The Instigator. Down with age restriction and censorship!

You can't blanketly dictate what's appropriate for everyone purely based on their age. It's the maturity and mental stability of the person in question, and no one more so than the person's very own parents are qualified to make that judgement.