kms25
jayden2016

Age shouldn't matter in a relationship

kms25

kms25

Pro

To start off this debate, please whoever is challenging me to continue the debate until the round is successfully over. I need to do this for a class.

To start off I am pro at saying that it shouldn't matter what age difference there are in relationships. Whether it is a older woman dating a younger man or an older man dating a significantly younger woman it shouldn't matter as long as they both are of legal age. What matters is the feelings and love shared by the two companions and if they are compatible with each other. In other words, "It isn't about age, it's about maturity."

As a person gets older, age tends to not matter so much. I remember in high school dating a boy just a year younger than me was crazy and the talk of the school. Once a person hits their 20's nobody will think twice. Relationships are not about age, but depends on how a person views their life, the situation they are in, and how willing they are to move forward with or without age being an influence on their decisions.

If a woman is dating a younger man then the woman can show the man what she likes and mature him to her standards. He will become more likely to grow up. Age does not define whether or not the relationship will work or not. Age is just a number. Take a look at this article..
http://terrymarshworld.blogspot.com...

In the article the writer states, "Based on these current trends, age does not matter when it comes to two consenting adults making a conscious decision to be together, regardless of the reasons why." This is true because if a woman and a man both love each other and age doesn't effect their moral decisions as to why they are together then why is it anyone's business as to how their age will effect their relationship? Who are we to decide their future just by a number.

When your out on a date and the person you are dating seems a little bit older than you or maybe a bit younger than you, you can't ask their age because its rude to do so. Take a look at Hugh Hefner who dates younger woman all the time with no problem or how about Mariah Carey and Nick Cannon who are 12 years apart and just had twins together.

Age shouldn't be a factor in love. Love just happens with no limits because you can't control who you love even if it is someone 10 years older or younger than you therefore I am pro for why age should not matter in a relationship.
jayden2016

Con

I agree with part of what you are saying, however I still have my doubts about age differences in a relationship.
First off, like you, I believe that if you feel a compatibility with someone, go for it! however if that person is 20 years older that you, that's a little strange. I mean you sea all of these super old rich guys married to 20 year old models.

Now tell me, is that love? or is it just the power of money?

And second off I am a male, and I know that males tend to have a more public and/or aggressive sexual life. Now, I'm not saying that every man in the world is a child molester, I just think that an older man married to a younger woman is a slight safety hazard.
kms25

Pro

Thank you for challenging this debate

For one thing thank you for agreeing with me that, "if you feel compatible with someone to go for it." but lets take a look at what con said..

"If a person is 20 years older than you, that's strange."
- That is a matter of opinion and when your in love it won't matter what other people think or if its "strange" or not. You also said, "You see super old rich guys married to 20 year old models," but who are we to tell them that they are not allowed to be in that relationship because of age difference.

Con also said, "Is that love or just power of money." It isn't our decision to determine that. If a 20 year old is dating a 40 year old they are clearly dating for a reason whether it is love or money. For one thing, love is definetely a factor in the relationship and if the woman or man has money its an advantage but what you are saying is stereotypical. Why does a young woman have to be a gold digger when dating an older man with money, can't it be just because she loves the guy?

Secondly, you stated that you think that an older man married to a younger woman is a slight safety hazard when I disagree. Men as a whole are very strong and more dominant and are there to protect the woman regardless if a woman is older than the man. Today we have social media websites like eharmony or match.com that when you are signing up for those you put your likes and dislikes, what you like in a male or female, and when it comes down to matching you with the right person, it comes down to the compatibility you have with each other. Therefore I am pro for saying age does not matter in a relationship because age is just a number.
jayden2016

Con

You know, I feel like this argument is very similar to many others I've heard. (Excuse me this is irrelevant) All of these debates have 2 people arguing about there spacific point of view. Now what if both the instigator and the contender where right? Honestly, before this debate i was disgusted by some relationships due to age, but now I think I have an understanding to what you mean. You believe that 2 people should live in harmony no matter their age, as long as they love each other, and I thank you for en-lighting me. I will always see it strange to have a large age difference in a relationship, but who knows? Maybe that will be me some day. I believe we should end this debate now, and let the people decide. Honestly, I have no further arguments than what I have previously stated.

P.S. If you haven't noticed yet due to my limited writing skills and shorter responses, I'm an 8th grader.
kms25

Pro

Thank you for taking the time to debate me but if its possible can you please finish until round 5, I really do need this for a class.

Thank you for understanding my point of why it really shouldn't matter what age a person is in a relationship. I said, "If two people really love each other and are very compatible with each other than it shouldn't matter what age they are." Although most people do argue how can someone be 99 years old and date an 18 year old even though that's very unrealistic. A more realistic example would be a 24 year old dating a 44 year old. People can't pick and chose who they love, it is a feeling and something beyond our control.

When arguing this topic, "Age shouldn't matter in a relationship" the common thing to think about is how can someone be so strong against it when someday like you said, it could be you. If you fell in love beyond your control with an older woman how can you tell me you wouldn't want to be with them because of a number? People commented on this debate rudely and it is funny because this shows none of them have ever dated younger or older then them. I am so strong to believe age shouldn't matter because my boyfriend is actually younger than me, just by a year, but I know I am going to spend the rest of my life with him. Therefore it is very easy for me to believe age is just a number.

P.S: I didn't know you were an 8th grader but you do have good points and I do appreciate you seeing my side of the argument! Please continue the debate :)
jayden2016

Con

jayden2016 forfeited this round.
kms25

Pro

Due to the fact that you have forfeited the 3rd round and due to your lack in supporting your claim as to why age does matter in a relationship I have won this debate. Age does not matter in a relationship.
kms25

Pro

Thank you for challenging this debate.
jayden2016

Con

jayden2016 forfeited this round.
Posted by Nichole1 1 year ago
Nichole1
Me and my boyfriend are 15 years apart. I'm 20 and he is 35. We have been together for a long time and truly do love each other. At first we were both skeptical about dating each other but as time went along we grew strong and intimate feelings for one another. I couldn't imagine life without him. So yes, I agree that age does not matter at all in a relationship as well. So what who doesn't agree? Everyone has their own opinions. My parents aren't fond of it but they haven't even met him yet due to the age gap. However, I have met his family and they are absolutely wonderful and accepting. It's not a big deal... Age is age and love is love. At the end of the day it's what makes you happy and not what makes the people around you happy.
Posted by greizy 3 years ago
greizy
I am 26 and my fiance is 60, divorced and has two sons, 30 and 26. Of course I agree that age doesn't matter! In life, we really can't tell who is our alma gemela. God knows who is perfect for us. Love is wonderful and life is full of surprises. Geez! Never thought I could love someone like him. It's the personality that counts. It's how someone can show you that love has no boundaries. We are getting married this year. I am happy and contented. I don't care what people say about us. God put us together and that's part of our fate.
Posted by Connor666 5 years ago
Connor666
Ok I read it over. Still disagree with you though. But have fun dating the 80 year old chicks.
Posted by kms25 5 years ago
kms25
Its not wrong at all. In fact, im right and the guy who challenegd my debate agreed with me after i mad my points. Why don't you go read the debate. You might change your mind.

Btw: I am assuming you have never dated someone older/younger than you because if so your opinion might shift.
Posted by Connor666 5 years ago
Connor666
Dude its still wrong. What if you were 20 and wanted a child and loved like an 80 year old women. She cannot have children. Oh sure you can adopt. but would you want your child to see their mother die around when they are like 8 years old??? Its just wrong....
Posted by kms25 5 years ago
kms25
First of all I am not a bro. Second of all that is really messed up saying that you wouldn't want to date someone who is older than you because they will die sooner than you. Who are you to say that they will die sooner than you, I mean something could easily happen to you where you die first.
Posted by Connor666 5 years ago
Connor666
And if i did for some weird reason. I still would try not to. Because she will obviously probaly die soon leading me to depression...which obviously no one wants.
Posted by Connor666 5 years ago
Connor666
I would not want a girl like 30 years ahead of me bro.
Posted by kms25 5 years ago
kms25
I am saying if two people are in love why should it matter how old you are or how big of an age difference there is, if there's one for that matter. What if you fell in love with an older woman? Do you think you would care of age difference. I don't think so.
Posted by Connor666 5 years ago
Connor666
DUDE. Your saying a 18 year old could be with a 90 year old....thats just wrong bro.
Vote Placed by PeacefulChaos 5 years ago
PeacefulChaos
kms25jayden2016Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Although I agree with Con (and still do), Con forfeited, which left all of Pro's arguments and rebuttals standing. Pro was the only one who had sources; thus, Pro wins this debate.