LatinaGirl8894
SwaggyG27

Age to get first driver's license should be raised to 18

LatinaGirl8894

Pro

Round 1 is acceptance
Rounds 2&3 are arguments and rebuttals
Round 4 is rebuttals and conclusion
SwaggyG27

Con

Hello. I would like you to know that first I have a rather ignorant view of this particular topic because I am a minor myself. However, I do believe you will find I can be a worthy opponent. I will respect your wish and not begin my argument the round. Best of luck.
LatinaGirl8894

Pro

I think raising the legal driving age to 18 when you start out would greatly benefit all parties involved.

"If the driving age were pushed to 18, teens would have more time to learn about driving safely." (1) Teens reflexes are not fully developed yet and this can greatly affect their driving skills. More often than not they will also have a cellphone in their hand as well. Texting and driving is a huge problem among teenage drivers when they first get their license. The teenage brain is also influenced by peer pressure and distractions that are going on around them.

Car accidents are the leading cause of death among teenagers. A 16 year old is twice as likely to die in a auto accident than a 30 year old. If we can get the most vulnerable drivers off the road a few more years we will not only save the lives of people, but will make the roads a little bit safer as well.

Teens also often drive with other people in the car; this can be dangerous as well. They will not be focused on the road they will be focused on what is going on in the car. Then there are more lives that are harmed in the event that an accident happens.
"In 2003, there were 937 drivers age 16 who were involved in fatal crashes. In those wrecks, 411 of the 16-year-old drivers died and 352 of their passengers were killed. Sixteen-year-old drivers are involved in fatal crashes at a rate nearly five times the rate of drivers 20 or older." (2)

These numbers may have been from 2003, but they still show that 16 year olds are not mature enough to start driving, especially if they are going to have other people in the car with them. They have other lives in their hands and they are not taking that seriously.

(1)http://articles.mcall.com...
(2)http://usatoday30.usatoday.com...
SwaggyG27

Con

If the age is 18, people will be adults when they get their driver's licence. Any mistakes they make are their responsibility. They have no safeguard for their lack of experience. Also, many do not have jobs capable of paying for he insurance and gas they will have to pay for by themselves. Their parents cannot directly train them, if the kid does not want them to. Also, you are a legal citizen at 18, so they can't have any blocks on what they can do.
LatinaGirl8894

Pro

This is exactly the reason the driving age should be raised. Adults are capable of making their own decisions, and need to be responsible if something were to happen. Kids can blame it on the parents as society often does as well. They will never learn anything that way. By waiting a few more years until they become adults to get their license they will have the maturity that is needed to do so safely.

If people don't have stable jobs to pay car payments and insurance they will most likely not get one until they do. If cars are given to kids when they first learn how to drive and then their parents suddenly make them start paying for them they will not be able to anyway so.
SwaggyG27

Con

SwaggyG27 forfeited this round.
LatinaGirl8894

Pro

LatinaGirl8894 forfeited this round.
SwaggyG27

Con

SwaggyG27 forfeited this round.
Posted by Vox_Veritas 2 years ago
Vox_Veritas
The Motor Voter Act causes me to agree with this statement.