RTN1994
bluesteel

Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson are NO MLK and are racist!

bluesteel

RTN1994

Pro

For years, Al Sharpton and the Jesse Jackson have called themselves Revs of god and yet they never utter more than two words on the subject! These are individuals that take any situation involving a black individual and spin it in the opposition of the other person within the situation. In other words, they intensify a situation in order for their own political and economical gain; and lets not forget....PUBLICITY. If you even try to argue with these individuals they use double talk and rabble rousing to their advantage in order to side step from the comment or point stated to them! There are many situations including the 1988-1989 Tawanna Brawley case in which Al Sharpton used race baiting techniques to back up a black girl who claimed white men raped her. She was badly beat but no evidence or forensic analysis proved it was the men who did it, however, more pointed out she had it done to herself! The point is, AL Sharpton and Jesse jackson are for blacks ONLY!
bluesteel

Con

Thanks RTN.

There's a few problems with my opponent's argument:

1) Being an advocate for the black community doesn't make you a racist.

Pro seems to think that advocates are REQUIRED to advocate equally for everyone. The entire NAACP would then be considered equally as racist as the KKK. Pro must prove that Sharpton and Jackson hate white people to show they are racists.

2) Viewing events through the prism of race is not "racist"

Whites generally want to believe that nothing is racially motivated. This is shown by the Trayvon Martin shooting, in which 55% of whites but 90% of blacks believe it was racially motivated.

3) Sharpton had no way to know Brawley had fabricated the charges

And even so, for every mistake, he has also done good things too. For example, in Bensonhurst, a gang of 20 to 30 white Italians beat 4 African Americans and got off with a slap on the wrist. Sharpton organized protests.

People were also unhappy with many of MLK's comments. http://tinyurl.com...
RTN1994

Pro

The problem with CON's analysis of my comment is that he says "Being an advocate for the black community doesn't make you a racist" which I never said that was a bad thing nor makes you racist. He is right it doesn't. There is nothing wrong with standing up for a specific race when you see unjust, which he had shown Al Sharpton has done, which I applaud him for.
However, Al Sharpton has also intensified situations (this is what CON doesn't want to bring up since it negates his argument).
"If the Jews want to get it on, tell them to pin their yarmulkes back and come over to my house".-Al Sharpton

This was a situation that took place in the mid 1990's where Sharpton inflamed his followers against a Jew who was expanding his shop in NYC. His followers then killed that Jewish man, Al Sharpton being indirectly responsible.

"Sharpton had no way to know Brawley had fabricated the charges" However he ruined the lives of the accused without any proof. Btw, MLK was for equality for all.
bluesteel

Con

Thanks RTN.

1) Jews

"Jewish" is not a race. Anti-semitism is a different thing from racism.

Sharpton's comment was made in regards to the Crown Heights incident. My opponent has his facts wrong:

Sharpton's protesters didn't kill anyone. And the allegation was that a private ambulance chose to treat the Jewish driver, rather than the black man that he had struck with his car. The black man died of his injuries. This had nothing to do with a shop.

2) Rape

If a girl says 6 men raped her, I commend anyone who advocates on her behalf. It's unfortunate if she is lying, but most cases of rape are not lies.

3) MLK

The evidence I provided was a reproof of MLK by Jackie Kennedy, America's sweetheart. If SHE was disparaging MLK, this shows you that he was anything BUT a revered and respected figure among the white community during this time period. He was reviled for his views, particularly his anti-war views. MLK got flack too for his beliefs.

My opponent hasn't proven racism yet.
RTN1994

Pro

My opponent hasn't given any credence that this man(Al Sharpton) is no peace maker, which is where I get the NO MLK part. You can attack MLK and use someone else's "review" on him, but the fact is that it was him who truly conquered the barrier between whites and blacks.
We can go back and forth finding websites in the "shadows" of the internet, everyone has their own opinion and interpretation of quantitative and qualitative data on individuals and subjects, however, you focusing on MLK and not the basis that I have made on SHARPTON NOT BEING AN MLK FIGURE still has yet to be answered, not surprised either.

Al Sharpton cannot be called on "words" for racism against whites, its his actions. Representing "only white" people in this day and age has been deemed racist. The tea party is deemed racist for being mostly white. Al Sharpton has actually said that on his show, that they are. He only represents blacks and has always been against the white p. http://www.theblaze.com...
bluesteel

Con

1) MLK

My point was that MLK wasn't liked at the time either. Anyone that supports black rights is vilified.

After King gave his "I Have A Dream" speech, the FBI described King as "the most dangerous . . .Negro leader in the country"; the FBI tracked King's every move. [1]

Regardless, the resolution says "and." My opponent must prove that Sharpton and Jackson are racist. It's not sufficient to prove they are "no MLK." He never shows that either hates white people. He also fails the BOP for Jesse Jackson, since he focuses the whole debate on Al Sharpton.

2) Sharpton

I personally don't believe that the tea party is racist merely because they are composed of mostly whites. However, their candidates have made racist remarks, specifically in regards to Jesse Jackson. [2]

Regardless, advocating for only black people is not "racist" or the whole NAACP would be racist. MLK also only advocated for black people.

outofcharacters

[1] http://tinyurl.com...
[2] http://tinyurl.com...
Posted by Viper-King 2 years ago
Viper-King
Also, BS is one of the best debater on this site.
Posted by Viper-King 2 years ago
Viper-King
I'm countering a troll.
Posted by Viper-King 2 years ago
Viper-King
Dude, you're arguments were terrible against his.
Posted by RTN1994 2 years ago
RTN1994
I ment to say OTHERS I WON'T MENTION lol
Posted by RTN1994 2 years ago
RTN1994
Just so everyone knows I did not create casting nor promote his arguments. He is using bad language and he is sending me provocative messages. You have seen his behavior for yourselves! I just wanted a clean debate, no one can really win on this thing because it is just friends of friends voting for eachother and people not voting for the "underdog" because of others who I won't message having some sort of seniority on this site! Please ignore him and tell me if there is a way to block him?
Posted by Cobo 2 years ago
Cobo
Wow....dude just...wow
Posted by waterskier 2 years ago
waterskier
anyone who is pro black rights is racist.

The way to avoid being racist is instead of being pro black rights, be pro equality.
Posted by YYW 2 years ago
YYW
omglol
Posted by Truin 2 years ago
Truin
I was not given enough time to research or state my poin in this debate.
Posted by Wallstreetatheist 2 years ago
Wallstreetatheist
What's next? Mexican women have babies, Indian people smell bad, and Puerto Ricans will stab you in broad daylight?
Vote Placed by Viper-King 2 years ago
Viper-King
RTN1994bluesteelTied
Reasons for voting decision: Counter.
Vote Placed by castingj7 2 years ago
castingj7
RTN1994bluesteelTied
Reasons for voting decision: Has a good deal going on with his life and for his kids and for everything, that is possible. for everything that he believes in.
Vote Placed by tyler90az 2 years ago
tyler90az
RTN1994bluesteelTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro never proved his assertion!
Vote Placed by 16kadams 2 years ago
16kadams
RTN1994bluesteelTied
Reasons for voting decision: Counter water, casting was already dealt with.
Vote Placed by waterskier 2 years ago
waterskier
RTN1994bluesteelTied
Reasons for voting decision: stupid debate, and I think pro created castingj7 to vote for him
Vote Placed by Xerge 2 years ago
Xerge
RTN1994bluesteelTied
Reasons for voting decision: Counter Casting
Vote Placed by TUF 2 years ago
TUF
RTN1994bluesteelTied
Reasons for voting decision: better argumentation, conduct, and spelling and grammar.
Vote Placed by TheOrator 2 years ago
TheOrator
RTN1994bluesteelTied
Reasons for voting decision: The resolution states that Pro must prove that they are both not MLK (which is easy) AND that both leaders are racist (which is harder), which he was not able to successfully do. Thus, Con wins.