chickenquiff
socialpinko

Alcohol is far worse than drugs

Reasons for your voting decision - Required

chickenquiff

Pro

Hi, this is my first debate so I thought I would start with something light.

As the title suggests, Alcohol is worse than drugs.

Please would someone accept my debate and discuss why drugs is worse.
Just to clarify, I am talking about Illegal drugs.

Thanks
Chris
socialpinko

Con

In order to win this debate I am assuming that I must show why at least 1 type of illegal drug is worse than alcohol. But what does one mean by the word "worse"?

Worse: more unfavorable or injurious[1]

For my example of an illegal drug which is more injurious to one's body than alcohol I will use heroin.

Withdrawal Symptoms

Let's look at the withdrawal symptoms of heroin compared to those of alcohol.

Heroin

Restlessness
Muscle and bone pain
Insomnia
Vomiting
Severe craving for the drug
Cold flashes
Diarrhea
Depression
Anxiety
Irritability
More sensitive to pain
Sweating
Tears
Runny nose
Frequent bowel movements
Nausea
Fever[2][3]

Heroin withdrawal can also last from 2-3 days to weeks or even months.[2]

I would say that looking at the withdrawal effects on heroin users, it is reasonable to conclude that heroin is more dangerous than alcohol.

[1]http://dictionary.reference.com...
[2]http://www.nida.nih.gov...
[3]http://addictions.about.com...

chickenquiff

Pro

Thank you for accepting my debate.

I was actually referring to drugs as a whole rather than one specific drug.
I should of made myself clear at the start but I did lea you to that assumption and I apologise for that

I can see why you have chosen Heroin as a part of your debate as this has one of the worst effects on users than other drugs but I will go will my original argument and debate about illegal drugs as a whole

On the face of it, one would assume that drugs or more damaging than Alcohol being that they are very Illegal. It would be ignorant to come to a conclusion that Drugs are worse than Alcohol without looking at the evidence first.

Here is a report written in the Daily Mail

"Alcohol is a more dangerous drug than heroin or crack cocaine, a study claims.
Scientists have found that alcohol is the most harmful drug overall and three times as harmful as cocaine and tobacco, according to a new scale of drug harm that rates the damage to both users and to wider society.

Ecstasy is only an eighth as harmful as alcohol, according to the new analysis, led by the controversial sacked government drugs adviser David Nutt with colleagues from the breakaway Independent Scientific Committee on Drugs.

The study says that if drugs were classified on the basis of the harm they do, alcohol would be class A, alongside heroin and crack cocaine.

The findings of the study, published in the Lancet today, are likely to reignite the debate over the government’s drugs classification system.

Professor David Nutt was sacked last year by then home secretary Alan Johnson after he challenged ministers over their refusal to take the advice of the official Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs, which he chaired.

The committee wanted cannabis to remain a class C drug and for ecstasy to be downgraded from class A, arguing that these were less harmful than other drugs when social factors were taken into consideration.

Professor Nutt, whose work was published in the Lancet medical journal, said the findings showed that ‘aggressively targeting alcohol harms is a valid and necessary public health strategy.’

In his study, Professor Nutt and his team examined nine categories of harm that drugs can do to the individual ‘from death to damage to mental functioning and loss of relationships’, as well as seven types of harm to others.

Overall, alcohol scored 72 out of a maximum ‘harm’ score of 100, compared to 55 for heroin and 54 for crack.
And while the most dangerous drugs to individual users were judged to be heroin, crack and then crystal meth, alcohol was deemed most harmful to society, followed by heroin and then crack.

Nutt told the Lancet a new classification system ‘would depend on what set of harms “to self or others” you are trying to reduce’.

‘But if you take overall harm, then alcohol, heroin and crack are clearly more harmful than all others, so perhaps drugs with a score of 40 or more could be class A; 39 to 20 class B; 19-10 class C and 10 or under class D,’ he added.

This reclassification would result in tobacco being labelled a class B drug alongside cocaine.

Cannabis would also just make class B, rather than class C. Ecstasy and LSD would end up in the lowest drug category, D."

With the evidence above, you would then come to conclusion that Alcohol is worse than drugs?

One would only assume that the Tax benefits from the sale of Alcohol would be the reason why its still legal.

socialpinko

Con

My opponent copied and pasted a supposed study which showed that alcohol is "far" more dangerous than any other illegal drug. However the resolution which my opponent is upholding is that alcohol is "far worse" than other drugs. However in my opponent's own study it says:

"the most dangerous drugs to individual users were judged to be heroin, crack and then crystal meth"

My opponents own source which she claims to support her claim says exactly what I, her opponent, am arguing. That there is at least one illegal drug which is more harmful than alcohol. Namely heroin but also crack and crystal meth according to my opponent's source.

However the study also says that:

"Alcohol is a more dangerous drug than heroin or crack cocaine"

Can we assume from my opponent's article that alcohol is then "far worse than other drugs"? Certainly not for the individual. My opponents own source claims that on that aspect crystal meth and crack are more harmful.

If my opponent meant more harmful to society in general then her source would back her claim up, however she never defined what far worse meant. So I will define it for her as potential and practical harm to an individual. According to this definition, the resolution is clearly refuted.

Vote Con

chickenquiff

Pro

First off, I like to thank my opponent for the return in debate.

If you would kindly look on my profile, you will see that I am male and not "she". I'm not sure which led you to that assumption but never mind.

My opponent is picking bits out in order to win this debate and not actually reading the evidence in question.
Yes, I did copy and past the article, not in any point in my debate did I say that this article originated from me. If I remember rightly I quoted "Here is a report written in the Daily Mail". Picking out something like that in order to win a debate WITHOUT providing your own evidence shows that your knowledge of this debate is severely lacking.

The World Health Organization estimates that risks linked to alcohol cause 2.5 million deaths a year from heart and liver disease.

Lets not stick with my wording of "worse" or "far worse". In order for my opponent to win this debate, surely he would have to provide us with some evidence to back up that Drugs is worse than Alcohol.
When I stated that Alcohol is far worse than drugs, it was on purpose that I did not clarify whether it was worse for the individual or society as I just wanted a debate about the subject as a whole.

As stated, a massive 2.5 million people die from Liver and Heart failure each year. To ignore that would be purely ignorant. If you compare that to drugs as a WHOLE, the number would be far different.
But yet we are not talking about health risks alone, we have to take everything into account within this debate to come to the ultimate conclusion

Id like to thank my opponent for this debate and Ill await for some evidence to suggest that Drugs is worse.

socialpinko

Con

First, I apologize for the gender mix up with my opponent. I would also like to say that I at no point said that my opponent's article was written by him. Voters when voting on this debate please look through the entire debate and you will find no instance where I said this.

Now my opponent has brought a new argument in the last round. He claims that the WHO says that 2.5 million people die every year due to alcohol related causes. I say that this is abuse and my opponent should not have brought a new argument in the last round and therefore it should not be used.

My opponent has also tried to hide from the wording of the resolution. He in the resolution claims that alcohol is "far worse" than other illegal drugs. To prove this he must prove that alcohol is not only more dangerous, but "far" more dangerous. He has not done this in that his own source admits that heroin, crack, and crystal meth are more dangerous than alcohol to the individual.

My opponent has yet not shown why alcohol is more dangerous than illegal drugs, let alone "far worse".

Vote Con
Posted by chickenquiff 3 years ago
chickenquiff
Dam it.... should of made that debate :)
Posted by socialpinko 3 years ago
socialpinko
I would never take that debate. (alcohol vs. pot)
Posted by Ore_Ele 3 years ago
Ore_Ele
You can't group drugs as a whole, when they are all different.

I'd recommend redoing the debate, but selecting specific drugs (alcohol vs pot, a common one).

I'd also recommend defining words in the first round, since many words have multiple definitions.
Posted by chickenquiff 3 years ago
chickenquiff
Wow, how a debate about drugs and alcohol as a WHOLE issue can be turned around by my opponent picking and twisting words in their favour without addressing the issue.

At no point did my opponent bring any evidence to the table...
Posted by chickenquiff 3 years ago
chickenquiff
Pssst..... Im winning now ;)
Posted by Cybolic 3 years ago
Cybolic
gl winning this debate chickenquiff, rofl
Vote Placed by Cliff.Stamp 3 years ago
Cliff.Stamp
chickenquiffsocialpinkoTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro had some decent arguments but should have defined that he meant more widespread problems vs drugs being less common but more severe. This was the obvious argument/resolution but it was not explicit. Nice defense from Con 2:1.
Vote Placed by Ore_Ele 3 years ago
Ore_Ele
chickenquiffsocialpinkoTied
Reasons for voting decision: the conduct point for the "s/he" mix-up. Just another reason for always using "my opponent." I am rather disappointed by the lact of links, and the use of only news reports, rather than the actual scientific studies. One thing that should always be done, is to use theraw data that comes from the studies, rather than the interpreted results. As interpreted results always carry the risk of being incorrect or personal opinion, or even being weighed on a different value system.
Vote Placed by darkkermit 3 years ago
darkkermit
chickenquiffsocialpinkoTied
Reasons for voting decision: PRO tries to use semantics to win. However the unclear resolution and socialpinko demonstrating that heroin and meth is worse than other drugs shows that PRO did not meet the BOP