Natsu145
Hayd

Aliens exist

Hayd

Natsu145

Pro

Hello there. Today I will be arguing that aliens do exist. So, here is some of my proof.

First of all the universe is such a large and amazing place. We humans have barely scratched it. We can't necessarily calculate the exact measurements of the universe itself because it's so big. Heck, it's estimated that the diameter of the KNOWN universe is 92 billion light years! ONE light year can travel about 670,616,629 mph just to put things in perspective. Imagine how much space that is, it's so much to calculate. Which means that in that spacious universe, at least ONE other species of lifeforms has to exist. Or else we would be totally lonely...

Here are the links I found to support my evidence
www.universetoday.com/38040/speed-of-light-in-mph
http://www.space.com...
Hayd

Con

I would first like thank my opponent for creating this debate topic, I look forward to discussing this topic with Pro. That being said, Pro has not established round structure, so I will start with my case.

If you look at the title of the debate (the resolution), you will notice that it is not a normative topic, is a positive assertion. Thus, Pro has the full burden of proof to affirm the resolution (since it is a positive assertion, the positive side, Pro, has the BoP). Thus, to win this debate, I only have to negate Pro's case.

The title also makes a very specific statement, Aliens exist. Not that they are likely to exist, that aliens could exist, but that they most certainly do exist, without any doubt whatsoever. For them not to exist would be an impossibility. Now that the debate is made clear, you can understand what Pro needs to do to win the debate; prove that aliens do exist with no possibility that they can't, and I merely have to negate that to win.

If we look at Pro's arguments, you will see that they do not affirm the resolution. Pro merely shows that there is a great possibility that they could exist, not that get DO exist. Pro needs to give evidence that there is a 100% chance, not 99.999...%
Natsu145

Pro

Natsu145 forfeited this round.
Natsu145

Pro

Natsu145 forfeited this round.
Posted by whiteflame 10 months ago
whiteflame
*******************************************************************
>Reported vote: thett3// Mod action: Removed<

7 point to Con. Reasons for voting decision: ff

[*Reason for removal*] While this was a full forfeit debate, the opening round contained a substantial argument from Pro. The voter needs to do more to explain why he's giving S&G, arguments, and sources to Con than cite the forfeits.
************************************************************************
Posted by geho89 10 months ago
geho89
I would have to agree with Con here. Also, Pro, you make the assertion that a light year is a measurement of speed when it is in fact, a measurement of distance. If you want to describe light in terms of speed, then it is close to 300 * 10^6 m/s. A light year is the distance that light can travel in a year. I will now convert the speed of light to show how far light travels in a year:

(300 * 10^6 meter/second) * (6.21 * 10^-4 miles/meter) * (31.5 * 10^6 seconds/hour) ~ 6 TRILLION miles per year. Of course, this is an approximation since I rounded my numbers, but feel free to do the math to see for yourself. A closer approximation in miles would be 5.878625 trillion.

If you want to see how far a light year can travel in a hour, then you can do that too.

(6 * 10^9 miles/year) * (1/8760 year/hour) ~ 6.85 * 10^8 miles per hour. The closer approximation would be the number you provided as 670 million mph, or better known as a light hour. If you want to be technically correct, then the claim should be "light" travels at about 670 million mph, not "light year". I just had to point out that distinction.
Posted by Monkeyblade 10 months ago
Monkeyblade
Ha! Got em!
Vote Placed by lannan13 10 months ago
lannan13
Natsu145HaydTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture
Vote Placed by Forever23 10 months ago
Forever23
Natsu145HaydTied
Reasons for voting decision: ff
Vote Placed by famousdebater 10 months ago
famousdebater
Natsu145HaydTied
Reasons for voting decision: ff
Vote Placed by RainbowDash52 10 months ago
RainbowDash52
Natsu145HaydTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro argued that universe is big. This argument can explain why if aliens exist why we don?t see them, which is relevant to the resolution, but does not fulfill BoP, since it explain why they might exist instead of why they probably exist. Con correctly argued that Pro's argument does not fulfill BoP, but incorrectly states that BoP is at 100%, since BoP by defualt only requires proof beyond reasonable doubt, and incorrectly explains why the argument fails to fulfill BoP. Con made no arguments towards the resolution, only about BoP. Since Pro only gave an inconclusive argument and Con gave no argument, I am awarding neither side with arguments. Pro backed up his ?universe is big? argument with a source, and I already explained why that argument was relevant. Con did not include any sources. So Pro gets sources. Con gets conduct for forfeit.
Vote Placed by bballcrook21 10 months ago
bballcrook21
Natsu145HaydTied