DanBeach
Pandas

Aliens have contacted earth

Pandas

DanBeach

Con

There is no way Aliens have contacted earth, The problem I have is that people believe that the US Government is keeping this a secret. AKA a conspiracy. wrong wrong wrong, This is under the assumption that only the US would know about this. Why wouldn't countries like China, Russia, Cuba, and North Korea have been contacted or be aware of alien life? It is more than likely that those following countries would also be aware of the existence of aliens. Consider the last three I mentioned. Russia, assuming mentioning UFOs would be an advantage, would have easily made the claim during the cold war to get an advantage over the US. Cuba and North Korea, again same thing, there is a lot of tension between us and them so why would they continue to keep it a secret? Also what about SETI? NASA is pumping millions of dollars into the program. now tell me why this would be needed if we already had an alien species contact us?
Pandas

Pro

Interesting topic. I accept.

Because the topic is about space, this would be a debate based on infinite or unproven things.

First of all, I would like to clarify that the topic is "Aliens have contacted Earth". It is very likely that aliens have already contacted Earth. However, our technology is too undeveloped so that we couldn't receive the message or even know of its existance. The universe is vast; considering what we know right now, it is nothing. There may be a whole lot of new waves we've never known of flowing around. There may be something travelling faster than the speed of light. It isn't even possible to tell whether humans' imagination is big enough for the universe.

First possibility is that aliens may not even be matters. They may even be intensified white light living in a nature opposite of ours. (environment made of only energy)

Second possibility is that the message may be anything. Comets heading towards Earth may even be messages sent by aliens to us.

Third possibility is that the universe may be just a toy for other living things; giants. We may be accidentally created in a giant's toy and the giant found out. They're trying to communicate with us but we're just too small to safely talk to us.

Fourth possibility is that aliens are living in a co-existing universe that is identity (or not) to ours. However, they may be more developed and is able to send messages over to our Earth (such as from black hole to white hole or through wormholes).

In conclusion, there are so many possibilities that it is impossible to be certain whether aliens have contacted us or not. It is likely that they have tried contacting us but we're just too undeveloped we don't acknowledge it.
DanBeach

Con

"First possibility is that aliens may not even be matters. They may even be intensified white light living in a nature opposite of ours. (environment made of only energy)"

We do not even consider a virus a living organism, so I highly doubt scientists would agree that a certain beam of light or magnetic field could possibly be considered a living organism, thus not an alien.

"Second possibility is that the message may be anything. Comets heading towards Earth may even be messages sent by aliens to us."

An alien would almost certainly develop radio waves and would choose means such as that to contact us, they would not try to use the resources necessary to move or create a comet in such a way. Since Pro did not specify anything else than a comet I will not debunk any other possibilities for there are simply too many, I will however make the case that radio waves would be the most likely option that they would use. Look at SETI. It is listening for radio waves because it is what we developed as human relatively early on and it is very likely that aliens would have also made the same discovery. Also think that a society which seriously wants to try to contact would send a wide variety of signals to try and get in touch just as we have. We have sent radio waves and even a golden record.

"Third possibility is that the universe may be just a toy for other living things; giants. We may be accidentally created in a giant's toy and the giant found out. They're trying to communicate with us but we're just too small to safely talk to us."

So like a Horton hears a who kind of idea huh? If we could exert enough energy to get the attention of something that massive, how is it possible that that same thing could not exert enough energy back to us to get our attention?

and for your final possibility it goes along with how they contact us. again, radio waves are what will happen.

By the way, I am regretting the 2000 character limit i set, mistake on my part.
Pandas

Pro

I agree with the 2000 limit.

In the universe, we don't have to stick with the old ideas. Why do we need to define whether they are living things or not? We might as well figure out whether they're an intellectual being or not. I believe non-living-creatures would not be able to contact and communicate with humans anyhow. Therefore, as long as they are intellectual beings or as long as we know of their existance through messages or carriers sent by them, they will be considered living; organism or not does not matter.

It is not certain an alien would develop radio waves. As stated before, the universe is huge. An open mind and a huge imagination is needed to predict it. Without the two, exploring the universe would be like trying to swim in lavas or swimming in the sky; it is impossible. I would not like to specify but would like to say that everything floating in the universe could be a message. Our Earth and human beings ourselves could even be messages sent from an alien species to another species. Things on Earth could not be any proof or arguments. It is like saying all sea creatures have shells after seeing a shell or a crab.

What's Horton hears a who kind of idea? I don't understand. Also, I believe the language is kind of inappropriate for an ofifcial debate. I did not say the thing couldn't exert enough energy back to get our attention. I have stated that it is too hard to exert such a small amount of energy to us so that we wouldn't be killed.

Radio waves can travel through dimensions into co-existing universes? I've never heard or anything close to that. I still stant my point for this argument.

Thank you. I am looing forward to the next round.

DanBeach

Con

DanBeach forfeited this round.
Pandas

Pro

I have nothing to add in this round because the Con had forfeited.
Posted by DanBeach 4 years ago
DanBeach
So in response to SMJS, It sounds like you make point for and against it. As far as how communication goes, it is pretty safe to say that most of the scientific community believes that radio waves would be the way majority of technological conscious societies would go. with that said it is very likely that we would have received their radio signals by now if they were around. and it is still very much debatable I believe, I guess anything really can be. Maybe I am missing the mark on the purpose of the site however, because I am new to it. But many topics are speculation, it is the wiggle room of speculation that allows a debate. If everything was concrete and finite, then why would there be a reason to debate? It is comparable to debating about something like global warming, we truly do not know a lot about it as we have only been able to confidently document our planets temperature for about 500 years or so. after that we have too look at historical evidence and just speculate, but again nothing for certain.
Posted by Ore_Ele 4 years ago
Ore_Ele
must... resist... urge... to use semantics!
Posted by Ragnar 4 years ago
Ragnar
If no one accepts, changing the resolution to be about likelihood instead of certainty may help.
Posted by PBJS 4 years ago
PBJS
hello DanBeach, I dont want to go into an debate but there are several issues that come to my mind when you are talking about alien contact in another country. Firstly, what form of communication would we use. Secondly, why would they want to "communicate" with us and not just destroy us. Thirdly, our technology might be more advanced or less advanced to communicate and or we have a different chemistry of the radio waves we use while the aliens might use different forms of communications which they might invent through the different available resources. Lastly, even if this is true and there have been alien UFO's roaming the sky and communication with other countries, what is the probability that they will find us in this universe. The universe is expanding at a rate that is faster than the speed of light, while newtons laws of physics state that no form of matter can reach a speed up to or faster than the speed of light. so by theory no aliens or alien electronic devices can communicate with us outside of our solar system/galaxy. Therefore, this argument is just going to be a lot of guesswork and is invalid to be debatable on a logical scale because we don't understand the universe or much in it.
Vote Placed by rajun 4 years ago
rajun
DanBeachPandasTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con could have won this if not ff. Pro does it in the 3rd round.
Vote Placed by sorar3 4 years ago
sorar3
DanBeachPandasTied
Reasons for voting decision: I stand right in the middle of the two, but PRO has more of a chance of being right.