Liamand
Martley

All Accused People Should Have the Right to Name Suppression Until They are Proven Guilty

Martley

Liamand

Pro

I believe that people who are accused of a crime and tried with their name told to the media have many life opportunities ruined if they are found not guilty. These people are likely to be shunned by friends and society even though they have done nothing wrong. My opponent will be arguing in favour of the current system, where the name of any person being tried is released to the media. My opponent will be arguing that this system should be kept in place, and does no harm to anyone.

Round 1 is for acceptance only. Rounds 2-4 are for arguments and rebuttals. Round 5 is for closing statements.
Martley

Con

I accept. I would like to thank you for the opportunity and look froward to our debate.
Liamand

Pro

Liamand forfeited this round.
Martley

Con

I hate to make generalizations.... but why do teenagers seem to always forfeit debates around here. This is a good topic you have here, worthy of our efforts... I'm not going to bite you. Give this a topic a chance. I hope to see you in round 3.
Liamand

Pro

Liamand forfeited this round.
Martley

Con

I will briefly lay out my con position for this debate.

1. Our US court system is open to the public. This is the basis for our legal court system set up under the 6th Amendment to the US Constitution. "In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the Assistance of Counsel for his defense". There have been SCOTUS rulings allowing suppression of information during a court case. However, this is not automatic (unless the defendant is a child), and must be done for a good reason and ruled on by the Judge. Either side of a trail may request a Closed Proceeding and/or Name Suppression. Typical it is only granted if the publication of certain information posses a threat of harm to those involved or related to those involved, or if the publication of information with jeopardize a fair legal trial.

2. Freedom of the press is Constitutionally protected under the 1st Amendment. The government does not have the right to prevent the press from publishing court information during a public trail.

3. The press must report and/or publish court information 1. Fairly 2. Accurately 3. Without Malice. If the press violate these guidelines they can be subjected to a defamation suit by either the persons involved in the case, or by State or Federal Government (depending of the type of trial).

4. There are many instances that charges are bought against an individual prior to that person being in the custody of the law enforcement. In these cases a warrant is issue by a judge for the arrest and apprehension of the suspect/defendant. The public knowledge of this information is 1. in the best interest for the safety of the public 2. the public can assist in providing information leading to the arrest of the suspect.
Liamand

Pro

Liamand forfeited this round.
Martley

Con

I can see Pro has no interest in debating this topic, it's a shame really. This a good topic and I hope to see it again by someone who is worthy of its discourse.
Liamand

Pro

Liamand forfeited this round.
Martley

Con

Please vote con
Posted by Mhykiel 2 years ago
Mhykiel
This is such an interesting issue. I'll be following this and look forward to a well balanced debate. I can see major points for both sides.
Posted by Cold-Mind 2 years ago
Cold-Mind
Transparency makes trials more fair. I think that argument outweighs yours. I don't see what else could we possibly say in this debate.
Vote Placed by rross 2 years ago
rross
LiamandMartleyTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro didn't argue, but Con did.