SegBeg
Corm_onthe_Cob

All Christians are homophobes!!!

SegBeg

SegBeg

Con

The first round is for you to introduce yourself. I will be arguing that not all Christians are intolerant hompohobes as most people would want to believe.
Corm_onthe_Cob

Pro

My name is Abdularahman and I am a gay Muslim. Let's begin.
SegBeg

Con

Begin we shall.

First off. The literal definition of homophobia is an irrational fear of homosexual people, like an irrational fear of spiders makes you agrophobic, however most people take the word homopobia to mean an irrational hatred or hostility toward homesexuals.

I would like to focus on the second definition. Just because you disagree with homosexuality and or same sex-marriage does not automatically make you homophobe. It all depends on how you carry that belief out. There are many Christians that I have seen who love homosexuals and don't look down on them because of their sexual orientation. I am one of them. Though I don't know any gay people, I know that I would not hate them and I'm sure when I'm older I will probably come across some.
As a Christian, you are supposed to love others and treat them the way you want to be treated (Matthew 7:12). Any Christian who goes about attacking homosexuals and calling them f*****s are completley in the wrong and you would have the right to call them homophobic. But not all Christians are like that and I am tired of people scoffing us thinking we are intolerant bigots.

This, is what a homophobic Christian looks like:

https://www.youtube.com...

This is Pastor Steven Anderson of Faithful Word Baptist Church in Tempe, Arizona who looks down on homosexuals, treats them like inferior beings and acts like he is better tham them and that they cannot go to heaven or retain salvation at all. He preaches about how we are supposed to love others, not act arrogantly toward them, but he seems to think that these rules do not apply to homosexuals. This is a true example of a Christian homophobic. However, not all Christians are like that and either way, no true Christian should ever be like that.
Corm_onthe_Cob

Pro

Corm_onthe_Cob forfeited this round.
SegBeg

Con

My opponent has forfeited this round. But I will continue regardless

Like I said before, most people take homophobia to mean an irrational hatred or disdain toward homosexuals. Many Christians oppose same sex marriage and they are correct in doing so, however not all of them are correct in how they carry out their beliefs. Some Christians go round attacking gays and calling them derogatory names and this is wrong. However, some Christians are very compassionate towards homosexuals as well as heterosexuals and this is the right attitude. As Christians, we are encouraged to hate the sin but love the sinner. A lot of LGBT activists say that those (including Christians) who disagree with gay marriage are intolerant, hateful and homophobic. While they may be correct at some times, this is not always the case.

Take this for example. Let's say I have a best friend. I love her to death and I would do anything for her. However, she is having sex with her boyfriend outside of marriage which is the act of fornication in the Bible and is listed as a sin. I do not agree with her sexual life but this does not mean I hate her. There may be lots of things you don't agree with with someone but that does not mean you are hateful and intolerant. Let's say a two business partners disagree over something. Does this mean they hate each other? No. It is just a simple disagreement.

LGBT activists also use the argument that the Bible tells us not to judge others whether or not they are doing something wrong. This is wrong and inaccurate. Yes we are not to judge others because we are all sinners who deserve to go to hell but that does not mean we should not tell someone what they are doing is wrong. However, LGBT activists say doing so is unloving. This is wrong also and I will explain how.

Take parents for example. Parents love their children more than anything and will strive to protect them at all costs. They have sacrificial and unconditional love for their children. So let's say that your teenage child is on dope, selling dope and comes home late every night as drunk as ever, suffering from depression, damaging their body with weed and cigarettes. Would you just sit there and let them continue mutilating themselves because they love what they're doing? No, you would step up and confront them that what they are doing is wrong and could possibly kill them in the near future. This is comparable to homosexuality because homosexual couples are more likely to catch AIDS than heterosexual couples and thus leading to death.

So in conclusion, not all Christians who oppose gay marriage are homophobes. It all depends on how they carry out this belief.

I hope my opponent will come back and debate me in the third round.
Corm_onthe_Cob

Pro

Corm_onthe_Cob forfeited this round.
SegBeg

Con

It seems like my opponent has forfeited this round as well. I urge him/her to return for the fourth round.

All I am going to say is this: being opposed to something does not necessarily make you a bigot. I don't even think that someone opposed to interracial marriage is a bigot or homophobic. As long as they are tolerant of people who think otherwise, they are entitled to their own opinion. However, if you definition of bigotry or homophobia is someone who has a differing opinion to you, then so be it.
Corm_onthe_Cob

Pro

Corm_onthe_Cob forfeited this round.
Posted by missbailey8 1 year ago
missbailey8
@Vaarka Same.
Posted by Vaarka 1 year ago
Vaarka
Aw damn it, I was hoping you'd be pro.
Posted by Wylted 1 year ago
Wylted
I am trying to think of how pro could even argue this legitimately. I don't see a way, otherwise I would accept
Posted by ViceRegent 1 year ago
ViceRegent
All Christians agree with King Jesus that the crime of sodomy should be punished by death!
Posted by ViceRegent 1 year ago
ViceRegent
Posted by Ragnar 1 year ago
Ragnar
Only a True Scotsman should accept this.
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 1 year ago
dsjpk5
SegBegCorm_onthe_CobTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro ff many times, so conduct to Con. Con also was the only one who made an argument, so arguments to Con by default.
Vote Placed by David_Debates 1 year ago
David_Debates
SegBegCorm_onthe_CobTied
Reasons for voting decision: FF in all rounds except acceptance is a automatic 7-point loss.