IsMyNameReallyImportant
CGinder4

All Drugs Should Be Legal

IsMyNameReallyImportant

IsMyNameReallyImportant

Pro

-Debate structure must go like this:

ROUND 1: Acceptance
ROUND 2: First Arguments/First Rebuttals
ROUND 3: Second Arguments/Second Rebuttals
ROUND 4: Third Arguments /Third Rebuttals
ROUND 5: Fourth Rebuttals/Concluding Arguments

I am for legalization of drugs and my opponent is against.
CGinder4

Con

I accept this challenge. This is my first ever debate on this website and I think I know my way around but I apologize in advance if I make any errors.
IsMyNameReallyImportant

Pro

It is okay, this is also my first debate.

I Have couple of arguments for legalizing drugs and i am now going to list them in no particular order.

1.In a free society people should have a choice of what they want to do until it does not hurt somebody else except them, so if they want to do drugs they should be allowed to because it is their choice and they can hurt themselves and ruin their lives if they want to.

2.Why should alcohol and tobacco be legal but other dangerous substances not.
Alcohol and tobacco are dangerous and deadly substances, so why should they be legal while substances like marijuana be illegal while we know that marijuana is healthier than alcohol and tobacco.
http://www.businessinsider.com... are 23 health benefits of marijuana
and here is another article about why marijuana is good for you http://www.mtlblog.com...;

3.Wasted tax dollars on war on drugs.
It has been estimated that the United States spends $51 billion annually on War on Drugs.
If drugs were legalized that money could be used for better things like education and hospitals and not for something that has barely any progress.
Only four percent of Americans thinks that U.S. is winning the war on drugs http://thinkprogress.org...

4. America could earn money from drugs.
America would earn tax money from drugs and that would definitely help the financial situation in America.

5.America would save money cause it would have less prisoners and that would also help the financial situation in America.

I am saving the rest of the arguments for the other rounds.
CGinder4

Con

1) People on drugs do, quite often, hurt people. There are many deaths in drunk driving related accidents.
2) I also think that Marijuana should be legalized, just not other drugs. Cigarettes and alcohol are more dangerous, and shouldn't be legal compared to marijuana.
3) I think we should continue to fight drug use for more serious drugs like methamphetamines and herion, however, we should cut back on spending for fighting drugs such as marijuana. ThinkProgress also isn't a very valid source, as it is extremely biased, talking in other articles about a "racist regime" and says that the term "lone wolf" is coined by white nationalists to adapt racism to a new age. This is basically saying that all media and much of the gov't are white nationalists. Obviously, TP is a very left wing biased website. (sorry for going a bit off topic)
4) While America could earn tax money, many drug makers would continue to make their own, legal or not, to save money. Then, they could distribute without any tax revenue being generated.
5) Since drugs aren't cheap, they aren't cheap to make, and that price would basically counter the money that we would save.
IsMyNameReallyImportant

Pro

In this round i am going to talk about the arguments that my opponent (a.k.a the other debater) said and than i am going to talk about some more reasons why we should legalize drugs.
Now i am going to talk about the arguments my opponent made.
1.'People on drugs do, quite often, hurt people. There are many deaths in drunk driving related accidents.'
Yes i agree with you but when drugs are not legalized there are still going to be aggressive people on drugs that will drive while on drugs. I think that if we legalized drugs there would be less accidents because the people that now do drugs do not care because if they get caught driving while on drugs they are going to go to prison even if they were not driving because they were using drugs but if we legalized drugs people would not drive under the influence of drugs because if they get caught doing that they are going to jail but if they get caught doing drugs while they are not driving they are not going to jail and that is why they would not drive under the influence. If all drugs were legalized they would have the same rules applied to alcohol and tobacco.
2.'I also think that Marijuana should be legalized, just not other drugs. Cigarettes and alcohol are more dangerous, and shouldn't be legal compared to marijuana.'
I do not think that because as i already said in round 2, argument 1
'In a free society people should have a choice of what they want to do until it does not hurt somebody else except them, so if they want to do drugs they should be allowed to because it is their choice and they can hurt themselves and ruin their lives if they want to.'
3. 'I think we should continue to fight drug use for more serious drugs like methamphetamines and heroin, however, we should cut back on spending for fighting drugs such as marijuana. ThinkProgress also isn't a very valid source, as it is extremely biased, talking in other articles about a "racist regime" and says that the term "lone wolf" is coined by white nationalists to adapt racism to a new age. This is basically saying that all media and much of the gov't are white nationalists. Obviously, TP is a very left wing biased website. (sorry for going a bit off topic)'
U.S. is spending 51 billion dollars on war on drugs and they are not making any progress so if they cut back spending they would do even worser than they are doing now and they are already now doing terrible.
You also said that ThinkProgress isn't a very valid source so i am going to give you another source that will show you that U.S. is losing the war on drugs https://en.wikipedia.org... if you read this you are going to see that U.S is losing the war on drugs.
4.'While America could earn tax money, many drug makers would continue to make their own, legal or not, to save money. Then, they could distribute without any tax revenue being generated.'
If somebody will sell drugs and not pay taxes they will go to jail and it does not matter that much because most of the people would not buy drugs from him because it will not have as good of a quality as the stuff that would be sold legally.
5.'Since drugs aren't cheap, they aren't cheap to make, and that price would basically counter the money that we would save.'
That statement does not make any sense because it is clear that f something is made for 2 dollars that it will be sold for more than 2 dollars because the people that make that thing want to actually earn money. So if drugs are made for 15 dollars they will be sold for more then 15 dollars.

Now i am going to write couple of my arguments that show that it is better to have legal drugs.
1.Tourism
People will come to the U.S.A. because they want to do drugs and the U.S.A. would make a lot of money from tourists.
2.Police would do a better job.
Police right now is not doing the best job but it would be much easier for them if they do not have to deal with all of the crime related to using and selling drugs.
Those are only 2 of many arguments that i have but i am going to save the other ones for later rounds.
CGinder4

Con

CGinder4 forfeited this round.
CGinder4

Con

CGinder4 forfeited this round.
IsMyNameReallyImportant

Pro

Extend.
I would like voters to vote for me because my opponent forfeited 2 rounds.
CGinder4

Con

CGinder4 forfeited this round.
Posted by IllinoisanLibertarian 1 year ago
IllinoisanLibertarian
I agree with you, thinking of maybe playing from the other side though, just for the sake of it. You may want to describe where you think that all drugs should be legalized, and if it is limited to other kinds, etc, etc. Just be more specific in your description.
Vote Placed by SirMaximus 1 year ago
SirMaximus
IsMyNameReallyImportantCGinder4Tied
Reasons for voting decision: I agreed with Pro that all drugs should be legal before the debate, and I still agree with Pro after the debate based on Pro's arguments and sources, which I will discuss shortly. Pro had better conduct as Pro didn't forfeit any rounds, while Con forfeited 3 rounds. Con had better spelling grammar as I did not notice any spelling or grammar mistakes made by Con, while Pro made a few capitalization errors (e.g. not always capitalizing the pronoun "I"). Pro made more convincing arguments as Pro rebutted every point that Con made, while Pro didn't rebut every point that Pro made, so Pro's arguments remained standing while Con's did not. Pro used more reliable sources. While some of Pro's sources may have been biased, Pro used Wikipedia, which is very reliable, contrary to some beliefs. Con didn't use any sources at all.