All Drugs Should be Legalised for Recreational Use

First round is for acceptance. For the purposes of the debate drugs will be defined as "chemically mind altering substances".

I accept the debat and await pro's first points.

I will post a brief outline of my argument in the first round.

We don't Have a Right to Control Other People

To a person who says that that drugs should not be legalised my first response is always: What gives you the right to control what a person chooses to put into their body in the privacy of their own home?

Allows Federal Control of Drugs

One of the main problems with drugs in recent years has been drugs being cut with far more dangerous substances and legalisation would allow government control in a similar manor to alcohol.

The Drug War Has Failed

The drug war has been generally unsuccessful drug use has gone up [1] and the overall supply of drugs has increased [2]. This shows that a different approach is required.

Allows Federal Distribution of Needles

Federal distribution of needles is currently forbidden, if drugs were legalised needles could be handed out by the government which would reduce the HIV/AIDs rate.

Thank you pro, I’ll give an outline as well.

On a side note, forgive my spelling error in the first round (I accept the debat)…not a great way to start. Oh, and let it be on the record that I support Marijuana legalization.

1.It will dramatically increase drug consumption, and thereby, addiction, and thereby, addiction services

Drugs are not like alcohol, and hard drugs are not like Marijuana. Hard drugs have a bad characteristic of being addictive to the point that many will kill themselves by using. No, it’s not like on those after-school tv programs, where a kid does a bit of this or that and all of a sudden he is a raving maniac, nevertheless these drugs are quite damaging.

I only have to bring up the case of Phillip Seymour Hoffman to show you that it’s not a myth, people really do die. Crack Cocaine is almost legendarily hard to kick once one begins using… some 500,000 people received treatment in 2010 for crack addiction. In total, If only it only rose 15% upon legalization, that would be huge.

2. Drug Legalization makes dangerous drugs easy to obtain.

Drugs like Meth imitate the reward chemical dopamine and the alertness chemical norepinephrine, and release both at the same time, and there is nothing funny about that. These drugs are not messing around. People on pot don’t roam the streets tweaking, starching themselves until they bleed and trying to bite people (with what teeth they have).

100 people every day die of drug overdose. Sure, not every Heroin junkie is a skinny, toothless hobo. Phil Hoffman led a successful life, but look where it got him. Guess what all his acting credits were worth to his family in the end? Not very much. I think they’d rather have Phil back then have him be remembered as a “great actor”.

3. Various sectors of our society will be affected

For example, crack cocaine, when it was introduced in the mid-eighties in cities like Miami, New York, L.A., etc. destroyed entire neighbourhoods with violence and addiction. It was cheap, everyone who wanted some could have some, and it gave a fantastic high that was short and demanded more.

“Between 1984 and 1994, the homicide rate for black males aged 14 to 17 more than doubled, and the homicide rate for black males aged 18 to 24 increased nearly as much. During this period, the black community also experienced an increase in fetal death rates, low birth-weight babies, weapons arrests, and the number of children in foster care. In 1996, approximately 60% of inmates incarcerated in the US were sentenced on drug charges.”

This stuff is not a hyped up myth, it really happened.

Bottom Line: If a police force, or the threat of the law stops a portion of people from using a dangerous drug, even if it is not perfect, even if it is uneven... if it stops a portion, than it has done it's job.

Above we see the lovely effects of Crystal Meth.

Drug Consumption Will Increase

Actually it seems drug consumption drops off with legalisation. Here is a graph of drug consumption in porchagal before and after legalisation (all drugs were effectively legalised in 2001).

download (1).jpg

Drug's Will be Easier to Access

Actually the evidence seems to suggest that drugs are easier to access that alcohol for children and this would be remedied by legalisation.

Furthermore as more more money is spent trying to prevent use of drugs the price of drugs has decreased making illegal drugs cheaper to access than legal ones like alcohol.

Sectors of Society Will be Affected

As I have shown with the example of Porchagal if handled properly drug consumption will decrease with legalisation.

60% of Prisoners are Incarcerated on Drug Crimes

This appears to have more to do with the united states poorly privatised prison system and money in politics than anything else [1].

Effects of Drugs

In an attempt to use shock value my opponent has used the picture of a a meth addict and yes drugs can do horrific things to a person I have never disputed this however legal substances like cigarettes can cause issues that is as dangerous and as physically repulsive as addiction to hard drugs.

Portugal Drug Decriminalization
I"ll dispute your claims on Portugal. First off, they have not legalized drugs, they have decriminalized them, and there is a big difference. ""The police still search people for drugs,""Hashish, cocaine, ecstasy -- Portuguese police still seize and destroy all these substances. Before doing so, though, they first weigh the drugs and consult the official table with the list of 10-day limits. Anyone possessing drugs in excess of these amounts is treated as a dealer and charged in court. Anyone with less than the limit is told to report to a body known as a "warning commission on drug addiction" within the next 72 hours."
""data show[s], among other things, that the number of adults in Portugal who have at some point taken illegal drugs is rising. At the same time, though, the number of teenagers who have at some point taken illegal drugs is falling. The number of drug addicts who have undergone rehab has also increased dramatically, while the number of drug addicts who have become infected with HIV has fallen significantly"
All this information leads to a conclusion similar to the one I stated above. Addiction has gone up a lot, but now they are getting good needles, therefore, they don"t get HIV. More people are doing dangerous drugs"which, by the way, have consequences for people other than the user/the user"s body.
As a side note, I"ll add that Portugal is number six in the world in Debt to GDP ratio, that is, sixth highest in its terrible economy.
Prisoners in the US
I found that in 2011:
53.5% of incarcerations were due to violent crimes
18.6% were due to property crimes
16.6% were due to drug crimes"and, breaking that down, I found that:
4.1% were Possession crimes
12.5 were "other" drug related crimes

Other Rebuttals

"I have never disputed this however legal substances like cigarettes can cause issues that is as dangerous and as physically repulsive as addiction to hard drugs."
Cigarette addiction does not typically break up families or seriously disrupt work habits"no, I would not honestly compare the two. They are quite different.
Pro did not challenge my points on what happened with the crack epidemic, so it remains valid, and I"ll update it with some more information. Our most violent years in America, that is, the 15 years with the most violent crime take place from 1980-1996. The crack epidemic was from 1982-1990. Is there a correlation? Yes.
In LA:
The homicide rate from 1984-1994 more than doubled. Mothers couldn"t properly take care of their children, so the fetal death rate skyrocketed, along with the number of children in foster care.
'As a result of the low-skill levels and minimal initial resource outlay required to sell crack, systemic violence flourished as a growing army of young, enthusiastic inner-city crack sellers attempt to defend their economic investment.' (James Inciardi, Ph.D.)
How much of this could have been avoided with legalization? We"ll never know, but we can make very good estimations.
In Argentina:
"Marijuana, the bulk of which is imported from Paraguay and used for domestic consumption, continues to be the most widely abused illegal drug. However, the prevalence of cocaine use has risen sharply, and the country has the second largest internal cocaine market in South America after Brazil. Cocaine remains by far the leading drug for which Argentines seek help at treatment centers, and the use of cocaine base is a growing problem among economically disadvantaged members of society."
This headline was printed only last month: Overwhelmed by crime, Argentina declares emergency in Buenos Aires
Crime is a major issue in Argentina, despite decriminalization.

A341 forfeited this round.

My opponent has quit the last round, so I'll carry my points on.

A341 forfeited this round.

Again, It appears that Pro has forfeited.

To sum up:

Decriminalization in Portugal has not helped their doomed economy.
It has contributed significantly to the rise in addiction, and therefore the costs involved to treat them.
Crime is rising in Portugal.

The crack epidemic ravaged numerous big cities, destroyed countless families, caused a dramatic crime increase. Anybody who thinks that legalizing crack at time would have solved the violence is mistaken. These dealers were hardcore and they would have fought tooth and nail to keep their profits. Even if legalization stopped crime, addiction would have shot up dramatically, along with the social damage that follows. People have a hard time keeping a good job when they are on crack.
Posted by USN276 2 years ago
It's not a matter of what drugs do to you. if people want to destroy their lives, let them destroy their lives. It shouldn't be your concern. Mind your own business.
Posted by A341 2 years ago
Sorry about that, I was away, CON deserves the win.
Posted by A341 2 years ago
Ok, well the pictures appear not to have worked, the links are this:
and this:
Vote Placed by Wylted 2 years ago