A341
Emilirose

All Drugs Should be Legalised for Recreational Use

A341

A341

Pro

Seriously can I ever finish this debate?

First round is for acceptance only.
Emilirose

Con

Accepted.
A341

Pro

Economy

We know the economics of prohibition. We know that when a substance is prohibited the economy takes a hit [1]. This will reduce the standard of living for the populous as a whole.

Human Freedom

I would like to know what my opponent thinks gives him the right to regulate what a person does to their own body in the privacy of their own home.

Lowers Drug Addiction

Under almost every example of legalisation drug consumption goes down, this is because in countries where drugs are legalised there is not legal pressure not to come forward as an addict and because of this in countries where drugs are legalised more addicts get treatment [2].

[1] https://mises.org...

[2] http://www.forbes.com...
Emilirose

Con

"We know the economics of prohibition, we know that when a substance is prohibited the economy takes a hit". On the contrary, recreational drug use has been shown to have a negative impact on the economy and the healthcare system as a whole. The total cost of drug abuse is estimated at $524 billion a year. Illicit drug use accounts for $181 billion in healthcare and productivity loss. Concerning fatality rates, in 2011 drugs overdose accounted for 41,340 deaths in the U.S alone. In the same year the number of U.S drugs related deaths exceeded (for the 4th time) the number of fatalities in road traffic accidents. Almost five people per hour died of recreational overdose according to 2011 statistics.

In 2012, U.K drugs related deaths also exceeded the number of road traffic accidents. Such information confirms that drug legalisation is not cost efficient, or beneficial to the economy or overall standard of living.

Human Freedom

What people choose to do in the privacy of their own home is their choice. My stance is that drugs are illegal for valid reasons and should therefore remain that way. I would be interested to know how drugs retaining their illegal status impacts "human freedom".

Lowers Drug Additction

An example of drug addition and drug use not being lowered would be Portugal, where recreational drugs were decriminalised in 2001. Since then, drug abuse has increased and the number of homoicides related to drug use has gone up by 40%. The rate of drugs related HIV/AIDS and Hepititis C in Portugal is now eight times that of E.U countries.
A341

Pro

Economics of Prohibition

My opponent claims that prohibition is at least not problematic for the economy. The evidence my opponent uses to back up this assertion of is that during prohibition the economy takes a hit? I think we agree on this one.

Just because drugs cause financial problems does not mean that those financial problems will increase with legalisation in fact all the information currently available to us shows that legalisation is beneficial to the economy as a whole.

Human Freedom

"I would be interested to know how drugs retaining their illegal status impacts "human freedom"."

The freedom to take drugs?

Lowers Drug Additction

It is interesting that our example is the same country (sort of showing you didn't read or check my source's) in fact in Portugal drug use has gone down by over 50% since legalisation [1]. You haven't provided any source for your assertion that "Since then, drug abuse has increased and the number of homoicides related to drug use has gone up by 40%. The rate of drugs related HIV/AIDS and Hepititis C in Portugal is now eight times that of E.U countries." and the only information I can find on the matter contradicts you [2]

[1] http://www.forbes.com...

[2] http://content.time.com... "HIV infections caused by sharing of dirty needles dropped"
Emilirose

Con

Emilirose forfeited this round.
A341

Pro

I'll wait.
Emilirose

Con

Emilirose forfeited this round.
A341

Pro

One day I will finish this debate.
Emilirose

Con

Emilirose forfeited this round.
Posted by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
I'll debate you on this A341.
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
cheyennebodie
I agree, IF you disband all government programs to treat those who use bad judgment.If you want to snort cocaine, then be prepared to pay for your treatment if you overdose.
Posted by Bchatman 2 years ago
Bchatman
Con
Posted by debatinglikeman 2 years ago
debatinglikeman
Great debate I'm pro and look forward to see the con side
Vote Placed by YYW 2 years ago
YYW
A341EmiliroseTied
Vote Placed by Jellon 2 years ago
Jellon
A341EmiliroseTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con FF. Con failed to provide sources for asserted statistics, but pro provided references.
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
A341EmiliroseTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture