holla1755
QueenDaisy

All Propositions Are True

QueenDaisy

holla1755

Pro

I previously instigated and completed the debate "All Propositions Are True," located at http://www.debate.org..., and subsequently started and participated in the forum "All Propositions Are True," located at http://www.debate.org.... In the following paragraph, I provide verbatim the same argument I gave as my opening argument for the aforementioned debate.

Consider the proposition p = "A rectangle is a square." Since some rectangles are squares, a rectangle is a square. Thus, p is true. Since some rectangles are not squares, a rectangle is not a square. Thus, p is not true. So by Conjunction Introduction, p is true and p is not true. But that is a contradiction. Since every proposition follows from a contradiction by the Principle of Explosion, the proposition "all propositions are true" is true. Therefore, all propositions are true.
QueenDaisy

Con

Pro's argument is obviously bogus, and there are a number of propositions which are not true. For example:

"Donald Trump is a 700 year old zebra from Mars with the largest collection of sex toys on Earth".

Pro must either substantiate this proposition, or admit that not all propositions are true.
holla1755

Pro

I agree that there are a number of propositions that are not true. However, the fact that there are a number of propositions that are not true does not contradict the claim that all propositions are true. If all propositions are true, then the proposition "there are a number of propositions that are not true" is true.

The truth of your example proposition "Donald Trump is a 700 year old zebra from Mars with the largest collection of sex toys on Earth" is substantiated by my opening argument and its conclusion that all propositions are true. The claim that all propositions are true is substantiated by my opening argument, and it follows from the claim that all propositions are true that the proposition "Donald Trump is a 700 year old zebra from Mars with the largest collection of sex toys on Earth" is true. Further substantiation of the truth of your example proposition isn't required.
QueenDaisy

Con

Pro is committing a "begging the question" fallacy https://en.wikipedia.org... they are assuming all propositions are true in an attempt to argue that all propositions are true.

Another example of why Pro's proposition is nonsense:

If all propositions are true, this implies that the proposition "not all propositions are true" is true, and therefore that not all propositions are true. This shows that Pro's proposition produces a contradiction and thus cannot be true.
holla1755

Pro

I do not believe I'm begging the question. I'm using what I've already established in my opening argument to further support my case.

My opening argument still stands.

I agree that my claim that all propositions are true produces a contradiction. However, since all propositions are true, a contradiction actually does exist. That inconsistency is part of reality.

Since all propositions are true, the following four propositions are true.
1. You are right that "not all propositions are true," and you are wrong that "not all propositions are true."
2. I am right that "all propositions are true," and I am wrong that "all propositions are true."
3. You are on your side of this debate and you are on my side of this debate.
4. I am on your side of this debate and I am on my side of this debate.
QueenDaisy

Con

Pro's case is obvious nonsense, and I needn't comment further.
Posted by What50 3 months ago
What50
Their will always be a contradiction between the propositions if they're all true.
Posted by DNehlsen 3 months ago
DNehlsen
If all propositions were true, the proposition that no propositions were true would also have to be true.
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 3 months ago
dsjpk5
holla1755QueenDaisyTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro conceded that not all propositions are true in round two. This negates the resolution.