Queen278
Rainyi

All Schools Should Be Year Round Schools

Rainyi

Queen278

Pro

I think students should have year round schooling because if we have year round schooling than we learn even more. Lots of kids forget a lot of stuff over the summer. If we have year round schooling we would have three, one month vacations.
Rainyi

Con

I accept your challenge and as your opponent, do not agree with you.

What is year-round schooling: A school calendar that exchanges a longer summer vacation for several shorter breaks at different times in order to reduce the need for extra review.

Educators claim that year-round schooling allows students to remember their studies in school without reviewing them before school. Not all educators believe this, and there are many studies that back them up.

While there are cons in year-round schooling, I'll review come pros.

1. Shorter summer breaks mean students are less likely forget what they learned in the school year, which may decrease the number of students being served by intervention programs [1]. The key word in this sentence is may. May define: expressing possibility. This means that there is a 50% chance this will happen, and still, children won't want to go and just ignore most things in the class, making it a 70% chance this will happen. It also means that schools will have to pay more for teachers, electricity, etc.

2. Problems at the school can be addressed more quickly [1]. Yes, this is true. But there is always another side to a problem. And where there is a problem, means there is a cause, and where there is a cause means there is solution (sometimes). Again! Sometimes is the key word! Sometimes definition: occasionally, rather than all of the time. Why would students cause trouble just to get nowhere?

3. "A year-round schedule might make it easier for students to access tutoring, particularly economically disadvantaged students, the California Department of Education reports. Students are also less likely to forget material over a short break than they might be over the traditional summer vacation. However, there is no guarantee of improved academic achievement, as Paul Von Hippel, researcher and sociologist at Ohio State University discovered. Teachers might not have as much time to access continuing education courses in a year-round calendar. Those students who would normally benefit from summer school might miss out on remedial or supplemental classes." This is a paragraph from my number two source. [2]

Pro Sources:

[1] http://childparenting.about.com...

[2] http://education.seattlepi.com...

Now I'll review some con's.

1. All year-round school will be harder for families due to finances and is also hard to make schedules for job appointments (etc), this is because many people will also be busy throughout the whole week and families won't be able to find babysitters. [This opinion is completely made from me]

2. Many families need teenagers to work full time due to financial problems, attending an all year-round school will not be able to let this happen. [1]

3. Students who have a difficult time paying attention would not be ready to attend such a long period school, this would cause trouble in the class making other students unfocused. [2]

Con's Sources:

[1] http://www.scholastic.com...

[2] http://childparenting.about.com...

Queen278

Pro

You say that:
1. All year-round school will be harder for families due to finances and is also hard to make schedules for job appointments (etc.), this is because many people will also be busy throughout the whole week and families won't be able to find babysitters. [This opinion is completely made from me]

Here are some more reason's why:

1. Teenagers can work during Sundays, Saturdays and during the breaks. They can even work after school.

2. I know lots of schools are letting kids use cell phones during school hours. The teachers could let the kids take 5-15 minutes breaks just playing on their phone.

3. There are kids who are poor and during Summer vacation they can't review like the rich kids. The rich kids can buy new books, lean more while the poor kids can't do any of that. With year round schooling they both learn the same amount of education.

4. Parents would agree with year round schooling because during the Summer the parents would have to go to work. They would need to find babysitters for their kids.

5. Year round schooling is not a loss of family time, families can still go on vacations for more than 2 weeks (that's normally how long the breaks are).

(Can't rlly research cause of something wrong with my laptop)

Those are some of my reasons on why we should have year round schooling.
Rainyi

Con

While you arguments are reasonable, I still don't find them logical.

My Argument: children should have breaks other than in school hours, there are many things one wants to do on the internet that you cannot do on a small device. After school work would nor be good because of the homework. Student's should focus on troubling things, that way they can review things they learned maybe an hour before. [this argument is an original idea]

2. I know lots of schools are letting kids use cell phones during school hours. The teachers could let the kids take 5-15 minutes breaks just playing on their phone. [this argument is an original idea]

My Argument: when a student is in school, it's main purpose is to learn. Students would get distracted from their studies, and can easily take out their phone to check their Twitter or Face book news. Phones also allow cheating to occur more often, especially when technology has advanced so much, that you can now just find the answer to a question with the push of a button. [1]

My Argument: This is exactly my point, private all year-round schools cost tons of money, and public all year-round schools will just make taxes higher. So either way, they poor families have to pay a lot.

My Argument: I agree with you, and this argument cannot be reviews further.

My Argument: Maybe it isn't a loss of family time, but coming back to the original argument: "Lots of kids forget a lot of stuff over the summer." This would be worse if there were several summer vacations a year because the child could forget more because he/she would be missing out on periods of school.

[1] http://cellphones.lovetoknow.com...
Queen278

Pro

I agree with some of what you said but some of them I can't agree too:
1. When a student is in school, it's main purpose is to learn. Students would get distracted from their studies, and can easily take out their phone to check their Twitter or Face book news. Phones also allow cheating to occur more often, especially when technology has advanced so much, that you can now just find the answer to a question with the push of a button.
The teachers could take away their cell phones at the beginning of the class so they can learn and when they are taking tests.

2. This is exactly my point, private all year-round schools cost tons of money, and public all year-round schools will just make taxes higher. So either way, they poor families have to pay a lot.
There aren't as many private schools than there are public schools.
Rainyi

Con

You:
1. When a student is in school, it's main purpose is to learn. Students would get distracted from their studies, and can easily take out their phone to check their Twitter or Facebook news. Phones also allow cheating to occur more often, especially when technology has advanced so much, that you can now just find the answer to a question with the push of a button.

My Argument: And my mom forgets to take my tab at night so I won't use it, does this make it more harder to make her forget the next night, no. I researched why people forget things, and I found: "Our brains deliberately make us forget things, to prevent insanity". It's just like my mom, but to the teacher, it is about phones.

You:

My Argument: True, but just because there is not a lot of private schools, doesn't mean children don't attend them.

Good Luck.
Posted by Ensign_Bleu 2 years ago
Ensign_Bleu
For the record, you get the same amount of schooling in an all-year-round school as you do in a traditional school schedule. The schedule used by most all-year schools is a 9 weeks in, 3 weeks out system. While you do have schooling all year, and thus don't have time to forget things over the summer, I don't think that anyone would actually vote for this to become a thing.
Vote Placed by Forthelulz 2 years ago
Forthelulz
Queen278RainyiTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con actually used sources while Pro didn't, so sources to Con Pro conceded half the argument, so convincing arguments to Con Both actually looked at an English textbook, but "rlly" from Pro and the "What is year-round schooling:" caused me to ding usage. They were both reasonably polite, so tied there as well.
Vote Placed by 8elB6U5THIqaSm5QhiNLVnRJA 2 years ago
8elB6U5THIqaSm5QhiNLVnRJA
Queen278RainyiTied
Reasons for voting decision: Only Con used sources. Pro conceded to half of Con's case against the resolution and then disagreed with the other half because Private schools are expensive. That was totally irrelevant.