All Schools Should Make it a Requirement to be Able to Teach Arts and Music to Their Students

Started: 2/3/2016 Category: Arts

While many schools are stopping the art programs such as music, drama and art it is my belief that we shouldn't stop giving students the option to take these classes at school. It is therefore my belief that "Schools should make it a requirement to teach arts and music to their students"

School: an institution for educating children.

Should: used to indicate obligation, duty, or correctness, typically when criticizing someone's actions.

Requirement: a thing that is compulsory; a necessary condition.

Able:having the power, skill, means, or opportunity to do something.

Fine Arts: a type of art (such as painting, sculpture, or music) that is done to create beautiful things

1. No kritiks/semantics
2. Breaking rules = loss
3. You accept definitions
4. Don't troll me. Punishable by losing the debate.

R1-4: Arguments/Rebuttals
R5: Closing Remarks. You can address previous arguments, but don't offer new ones.

I agree with your definitions. My opponent introduced what he will argue about and now I will do so as well. I agree arts and music shouldn't be removed from schools, however I will be advocating because of the limited market for these skills (mainly art), the time they take up (mainly band/orchestra) , and the limited demand they can't be required. I will have a few side arguments as well

Since con unfortunately misunderstood what I was saying I hereby call an end to this debate.

I guess i win then since my opponent concedes. I went by his resoultion and he's upset becuase he can't address why music/arts should be required rather then optional.

Next you should probaly post a good sized argument the first round so people can understand what you are advicating for. It's hard to fully contemplate what you are trying to say if you post 3 sentences for an argument.

Alrighty let's get down to work then shall we?

My resolution and title are clearly explained in the first round. "It is my belief that we shouldn't stop giving students the option to take these course at school."

I have many reasons for this.
1. The Fine Arts education programs are mandatory in countries that rank consistently as the highest for math and science test scores, these include Japan, Hungary, and the Netherlands.
National Endowment for the Arts, the National Endowment for the Humanities and the Institute of Museum and Library Services, "Re-Investing in Arts Education: Winning America"s Future Through Creative Schools." The President"s Committee on the Arts and Humanities

2. Students who study the arta are four times more likely to be recognized for academic achievement and three times more likely to be awarded for school attendance.
"Lessons from PISA for the United States, Strong Performers and Successful Reformers in Education", OECD Publishing, 2011.
3.The "No Child Left Behind Act" enforces that The Arts (music, art, foreign language, etc.) are a core academic subject.
U.S. Department of Education, "No Child Left Behind, A Toolkit for Teachers."
4.Many studies have reached a consensus that curricular and extracurricular art studies and activities help keep high-risk dropout students in school.
National School Boards Association. "Prediction: Identifying potential dropouts." The Center for Public Education.
5.New brain research shows music not only improves skills in math and reading, but it promotes creativity, social development, personality adjustment, and self-worth.
Weinberger, Norman M.. "The Music in Our Minds." Center for the Neurobiology of Learning and Memory, University of California. Accessed February 25, 2014,

In conclusion...
For these reasons it is evident that schools should be required to teach music and the arts at school. I turn the debate back over to con.

Clarification: Ok look I knew what the resolution stated however I also knew you stated this "It is therefore my belief that "Schools should make it a requirement to teach arts and music to their students". This is way different from your resolution. What this implies is that schools should make it a requirement to teach arts and music to their students... so I logically concluded that oh my opponent must be advocating that all students should take this course since it states it's required for teachers to teach these subjects to students. The statement was different from the resolution that states all schools should make it a requirement to be able to teach arts and music to their students.

It would make more sense as well for the resolution to be something like ,"schools should be able to offer arts and music to students" cause the word required just made it confusing. The reason I didn't point this out is because if someone doesn't use the resolution right or starts saying something different like "Schools should make it a requirement to teach arts and music to their students" I go with it and point out that the opponent isn't going by his own resolution later to my own advantage. You noticed early.

Moving on to argumentation

Observation: The resolution states all schools should make it a requirement to teach arts and music to their students. I believe this is wrong because some schools mainly private/ religious schools maybe have other practices. Also there isn't a need an artistic musical skill in the market. There is a need for critical thinking, a need for math, a need for science, a need for computers.

1. Band/choir are not under threat and are fine as they are.

Some schools are cutting funding in these areas however not much for band. Band is the most important out of these of course for the scholarships and opportunities band offers. As long as football continues to have the support it does then schools will have bands. It's a natural tradition that has been held for years. This area isn't under fire but rather art is.

2. I believe it would be more correct to put more focus on extra activities like Debate/ computer programming then art.

• The average debate team has a GPA of 3.75 and the average debater is in the top 10% of his or her class. Improvement in academic performance is common to all debate students regardless of prior academic achievements. (regardless of where you start whether its bottom of the class or top you will improve) (1), for example I am on the debate and basketball team for my school, the class president for my school currently participates in debate. Also 98.58% of debaters attend collage(1). Also debaters score higher on the SAT and ACT then their peers. I have a friend who had no intentions of going to collage partly because one in his family has been to a university. After participating in debate however he makes good grades and has went from a 2.0 GPA to a 3.1 GPA.

Overall impact of this point: As we can conclude art has some creative and academic benefits and so does debate but debate develops a skill that is actually applicable everywhere particularly in business and law, critical thinking. Art and music is very limited in what they offer skill wise and job wise. In fact many videos like this one out the limited job oppurtnuties provided for such an area as liberal arts. Since collage is an investment highschool should support the fields that provide skills that can be used for degrees that offer the best invesments. Debate leads to creative thinking. It promotes problem solving and innovative thinking, also debate teaches students to synthesize complex bodies of information and to exercise creativity(1).

• computer programming= According to recent studies, teaching basic coding can increase problem solving skills. Golpin (2014) writes: being able to follow programming logic trains the mind to think in more analytical ways (2). Also unlike art there is a market for this. A lot of occupations demand computer skills and a lot of computer jobs are open. You will have job opportunities for coding/computer programming because we will use technology. The starting pay of anywhere from $59,000 to $112,000 reflects on this (4). Computer programming should be mandatory along with debate rather then art/music.

• Job security is an advantage enjoyed by most computer programmers. Computer technology advances at a fast rate, keeping the demand for computer programmers at a high level. If ever you lose your job as a computer programmer, chances are you won’t be without a job for long. In essence, as long as society relies on computing technology, there will be a demand for computer programmers (4).

Conclusion: It simply makes more sense economically to make debate and compute programming mandatory rather then art/music. Sure creativity is a skill that's worth having but it's even more worth while to have a stable job and skills like critical thinking that can allow you to get raises and be more successful.

3. Rather then coercing all educational schools into requiring this it would be better to simply protect the current schools that have these activities and maybe encourage the creative side of art.

• I believe the answer is to not require every school to offer this but rather better protect the schools that currently have this or desire it. The government spends around 25 billion dollars on unused buildings. Not to mention 2.5 million dollars were used for a super bowl advertisement that no one saw(3). Not to mention 80 billion dollars is wasted on over crowding cost and alot of these prisoers are arrested for minor drug crimes. Allocating funding correctly alone could provide the funds needed to continue art in schools.

Conclusion: I think debate should be pushed more rather then art and I don't think art should be required in all schools, Band is available in all schools anyway so I don't see how you pointed that as an issue. If a school has a football team most likely they have a band. Also overall art doesn't offer any future opportunities at least in America, there isn't a market for art jobs. Also in art class you are simply required to complete certain task to the best of your abilities. You don't develop any artistic skill from art you simply use what you have to complete a task. It's not intrinsic enough to be required on every educated infrastructure. Again there are private schools as well that may have their own way of doing things. They may offer different forms of education such as classical education.

Right on then. Thank you for your timely response.

Regarding the Resolution

It is clear from both the title and the resolution, All schools should be required to have the ability to teach arts and music to the students. I will not hear any more on this issue since I did in fact give you the chance to draw and you didn't. So we shall continue.

Now on to your arguments....

"Some schools...maybe have other practices."
Seems like you really don't know which schools or practices your talking about. Please be more specific as there is not one religion or culture I know of that is against music and the arts.

"There isn't a need an (of) artistic musical skill in the market."
While statistics prove the opposite and for two main reasons.
1.) Music improves brain development as multiple studies show.

2.)Music helps the economy by the money it makes.

Therefore since music benefits the children and benefits the economy there is a demand for music in the market and there always will be, and for the same reason schools should allow children the right to be able to indulge in the arts.

"Band and choir are not under attack"
Although this debate is not primarily focused on whether or not music is under attack I will show you that it is under attack and music in schools is slowly drying up.

Really this adds nothing to your case because even if it wasn't in danger this debate is not about that. The debate is about if schools should continue to teach the arts.

"Put more focus on extra activities like debate/computer programming."
Brownie points for your support of debates! However again you are going off on a tangent and we should stick to what this debate is about. It's like if I made a debate, "Are Cookies Good For You?" and you came in with an argument, "Frosted flakes are great!" In the same sense debates and computer programming aren't pertaining to the arts.

The arts were here long before debate teams and programming and has one of the oldest histories of mankind.

It is also the most prevalent or widespread form of expression in the world. Every culture known has some form of music.

You agree that music is important in the world and has it's p[lace in society. It is for these reasons that music should continue to be an option at school.

In Conclusion....

Music and the Arts is proven to improve studies and decrease dropout rates. It also plays an important role in the culture of the human race. For all these reasons I believe it is clear that music and the arts should continue to be taught at school. I look forward to my opponents response.

moneystacker forfeited this round.

In conclusion...
It is my belief and I speak for the children when I say arts should stay in the schools and should continue to be offered in school. The benefits of music are clear, they include benefits to the economy and benefits to creativity and mental health. For this reason vote pro, for I have stated the reasons why music is beneficial to children and why it should continue to be taught. My name is Brian N. Johnson Thank you for reading.

Extend all arguments.
Address previous arguments but don't offer new ones.

moneystacker forfeited this round.
Posted by whiteflame 8 months ago
>Reported vote: minddrag// Mod action: Removed<

4 points to Pro (Conduct, S&G, Sources), 3 points to Con (Arguments). Reasons for voting decision: It was an interesting debate but con forfeited the debate so the victory should go to pro

[*Reason for removal*] As Con only forfeited twice, this explanation can only justify conduct. It's insufficient to explain any of the other point allocations, and yet the voter awarded conduct to the other side.
Posted by Briannj17 8 months ago
I gave you the chance,
But you wanted to dance,
So let's start this debate,
Come on and negate.
Posted by Briannj17 8 months ago
Your turn.
Posted by moneystacker 8 months ago
you say this " thus schools should make it a requirement to teach arts and music to students". I believe I understood that correctly regardless.
Posted by moneystacker 8 months ago
oh wow a poetry addict no wonder you desire he arts rofl.
Posted by Briannj17 8 months ago
Hey that is what I am saying. Uh, hmm, grrr, er, well, let's see, ummm, yah, sooo,uh huh, naa, No words to describe how I feel.

What in tarnation couldn't you understand?
For this you deserve some form of reprimand,
Because I have specifically stated,
What was to be debated,

We're on the same side now!
Why did this happen, How?
Was it so hard to translate?
Make an argument then negate,
However you changed this debate,
Now we'll share the same fate,

SO how did this happen?
Come on were you nappin'?
Now live with this mistake,
Don't do it again, for goodness sake.
Posted by moneystacker 8 months ago
I am saying they shouldn't be removed but should be optional.
Posted by moneystacker 8 months ago
I didn't get what you met at first but now I see
Posted by moneystacker 8 months ago
Yeah I get what you mean I made some arguments.
Posted by Briannj17 8 months ago
But it is stated in my round structure you are to make an argument first round. You don't have to go all out but give me something to rebut.