All buses should have seat belts

Started: 8/27/2013 Category: Technology

All buses should have seat belts because it would make buses a lot safer especially for kids. I know that a lot of countries don't have seat belts in buses and I think that, that is absolutely horrendous because if there was a crash more people would get hurt without seat belts. But if there was seat belts then there wouldn't be so many deaths.

Since no rules were set in round 1, I will make the assumption I can begin my arguments.

"All buses should have seat belts"

I disagree that all busses should have seat belts.

I agree that some busses, those that are smaller in size, should require seatbelts for passengers. Not standard sized or larger school busses

This topic has been debated by public officials and they have concluded that large busses offer enough protection to shield the passengers inside from harm.

The National Highway Transportation Administration says, "School bus transportation is one of the safest forms of transportation in the United States." School busses that currently do not have seat belts.

"Overall, travel on school bus is the safest way to travel- 40 times safer than riding in a car - with only a handful of deaths occurring to passengers on school buses every year."-

1) seatbelts can and will be used as a weapon by immature children to injure other students
2) it would be impossible to ensure a bus-full of children do not undo their seatbealts
3) seat belts may trap the child in their seat in the case of an emergency: fire, flooding, etc,.

In addition to the debunked safety issue, there is the issue of cost and room:

In conclusion: Some busses, the smaller, shorter ones, but not the standard size or large sized busses should not require seatbealts.

"It is estimated that adding seatbelts to buses would add between $8,000 and 15,000 to the cost of each bus. In addition, seatbelts would take up room currently used as seats, meaning that each bus would have fewer seating places. The additional room in the bus taken up by seatbelts would mean that bus fleets would have to increase by as much as 15% just to carry the same number of people."

In conclusion: Some busses, the smaller, shorter ones, but not the standard size or large sized busses should require seatbealts. Adding seatbelts to already safe transportation but adding factors of:
1) new costs
2) decreased seat space,
3) kids using the seatbelts as weapons,
4) trapping kids in their seat during emergenciesand given that
5) it is impossible to ensure each child will remain buckled in his or her seat
6) large and standard sized school busses are already one of the safest forms of transportation without seat belts

sh11636 forfeited this round.

Extend arguments

sh11636 forfeited this round.

Extend arguments
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 3 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Con did a nice job of researching the topic, finding good sources. Pro made no arguments and forfeited without rebuttal.