isabella1234
RyuuKyuzo

All children from the 4-12 should not choose the school they want to go to

RyuuKyuzo

isabella1234

Pro

RyuuKyuzo

Con

I accept this debate. Please note that my opponents resolution is that all children from the ages of 4-12 should not choose the school they want to go to. Not 'some", not "the majority", but ALL. This means to win this debate all I have to do is find one occasion where a child ages 4-12 should get to choose which school they go to.

Burden of Proof

I will have the BOP of showing at least one scenario where the child's choice is what should be done.

Since the BOP rests with me, Pro will have nothing to do next round unless I post an argument, so let's just get this party started.

Arguments

1. Happiness

As a study done by Canterbury University has shown, happy children learn better [1]. Allowing your child to go to their choice school will increase their levels of happiness and therefore allow them to learn more at a faster rate.

2. Trust

By allowing your child to choose the school they wish to go to (assuming they have a preference), your child sees that you have trust in them and so the bond between the parent and child is strengthened. After all, trust is the foundation of every good relationship -- according to Doctor Laura Markham, owner of AHA!Parenting.com [2]

3. Responsibility

By granting your child more say in their own education, you teach your child to be more responsible and therefore more self-reliant. This builds self-confidence in children, which carries over into higher self-esteem as teenagers -- which is when they'll really need it [3].

That's enough for now. I have more (much more), but there's still 4 more rounds, so no need to rush.

Given the benefits I've pointed out in allowing your child to choose which school they attend, it's clear that when such a thing is a viable option, it's what should be done -- and if there is at least one occasion where it is a viable option (which is a statistical certainty beyond contention), then my BOP has been fulfilled.

I look forward to your response.

1. http://www.stuff.co.nz...
2. http://www.ahaparenting.com...
3. http://www.professorshouse.com...

isabella1234

Pro

isabella1234 forfeited this round.
RyuuKyuzo

Con

Well this is a pain. It seems my opponent has no intention of responding in this debate (if her other debate is a sign of anything, that is) and I'm leaving for vacation later today. I didn't intend on going on-line at all during my vacation, but now it seems I'll have to periodically check up on this debate to extend my arguments/ respond to Pro counter points (if any are ever made).

No matter, I'll continue developing my argument here and, unless Pro decides to jump back in the game, I'll simply be extending my arguments and/or continuing to develop them until the end of this debate.

Arguments

1. Bullying

It has been shown that bullied children tend to do worse in school [1]. On top of that, 10% of kids who are bullied eventually drop out of school as a result [2]. Given this, it is clear that when it comes to bullying it is advantageous and in some cases even vital to allow the child to chose a different school.

2. Classes

Consider that not all public schools offer the same courses due to funding or simply the school's priorities. For example, if a young student shows advanced proficiency in a particular art and therefore wants to attend a school of the arts, it is clear that, all else being equal, the student should be granted his/her wish in order to better take advantage of the student's skill early on.

3. Disability

In the case of a student's disability, be it physical or mental, the student may desire to attend a school that meets his or her specific needs, instead of a regular public school. While I can't imagine a loving parent not agreeing with their child on this, the point remains that in this scenario the child's choice should be respected and adhered to, which fulfills my BOP.

I have now provided both general and specific reasons for why there's no need to say all children from the ages of 4-12 should not choose their own schools, while my opponent has done nothing to counter my arguments. Because of this, at this point in the debate my BOP is fulfilled and stands to remain that way unless my opponent returns and refutes all six of my currently uncontested arguments. I extend my argument from round one.

Note to Voters

As I've already said, I'm going on vacation later today. I can't guarantee that I will have constant Internet access if any access at all and for that reason I cannot guarantee that I will be able to post next round. If Pro fails to post an argument next round and I can't log on to extend my arguments in time, please consider this my in-advance extension. If my opponent does post counter arguments in the next round but I still am unable to log on, then take it as you will. I'm merely letting you know in advance what is going on right now and that I have every intention of refuting my opponent's counter arguments should they ever be made and I also have every intention of continuing to develop my argument once I return.

1. http://www.connectwithkids.com...
2. http://www.dosomething.org...
isabella1234

Pro

isabella1234 forfeited this round.
RyuuKyuzo

Con

Extending arguments
isabella1234

Pro

isabella1234 forfeited this round.
RyuuKyuzo

Con

Extending arguments
isabella1234

Pro

isabella1234 forfeited this round.
RyuuKyuzo

Con

Claiming victory.

Thank you and have a nice day.
Posted by RyuuKyuzo 4 years ago
RyuuKyuzo
@Roy my plan was to make the argument for why the child should be given decision making authority in round 3 or 4, but since it was clear Pro wasn't coming back I figured "why bother?"
Vote Placed by Chicken 4 years ago
Chicken
isabella1234RyuuKyuzoTied
Reasons for voting decision: Chicken.
Vote Placed by famer 4 years ago
famer
isabella1234RyuuKyuzoTied
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 4 years ago
RoyLatham
isabella1234RyuuKyuzoTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro made no case and forfeited. Con's case was weak; he gave good reasons why parents should consider the child's feelings, but not why the child should be given the decision making authority. However, none of Con's points were even argued.
Vote Placed by MouthWash 4 years ago
MouthWash
isabella1234RyuuKyuzoTied
Reasons for voting decision: Anyone who steps foot into that despotic attempt to keep kids off of the streets should know why Pro never stood a chance.
Vote Placed by Ron-Paul 4 years ago
Ron-Paul
isabella1234RyuuKyuzoTied
Reasons for voting decision: FFs.