XPMai
Preston

All copycat OS or phones of iOS and Apple respectively should be condemned

Preston
Started: 6/16/2015 Category: Technology

XPMai

Pro

Based on the facts, the existence of smartphones after Apple are mostly a copycat concept of iOS/iPhone 1 that was released in 2007. [1]

Before that, the smartphone is terrible, IBM Simon. [3] In fact, I do not know until I have searched although I know that button based phones will be used in the era without the concept of iOS/iPhone.

In 2008, Android 1.0 was released, with the same concept: touch-screen. Features in the phone are also changed to icons, exactly like the iOS. As for phone layout, as a (noob) consumer, there are no difference. [2]

Worse, Android was declared to be free and open-source by Google. This affects Apple's sales a lot.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org...(1st_generation)
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org...
[3] http://www.bloomberg.com...
Preston

Con

1) Apple Didn't Release the First Smartphone
My opponent is incorrect in asserting that apple is the original that is being copied, when in fact they are not the first or original smart phone. In 1999, the Japanese firm NTT DoCoMo released the first smartphones.[1] My opponent argues however that before the iphone all other smartphones were lower quality and thus do not count, however quality does not negate the fact that they existed.
2) Androids Free and Open Source Model Promotes a Free Market
Overall we see that androids free market allows for the growth of intellectual property. This promotes a free market and eliminates apple's ability to act as a monopolistic power. This benefits Democracy and allows for the development of society in a positive manner.[2]
BOP:
Remember my opponent must prove that other smartphones copy and should be condemned.

[1][http://archive.wired.com...]
[2]http://siteresources.worldbank.org...
XPMai

Pro

I strongly agree with @Preston, he is right, Apple is not the first smartphone. Just to add-on that IBM Simon is also one of the earlier smartphones before Apple.

However, I would like to rebuke that the argument is an accusation against me, saying that I have claimed Apple to be the first smartphone in the world.

Hence, I am not obliged to respond to him on that matter.
---
As for the free market, I also agree with @Preston. I do not condemn but also encourage.

Nonetheless, I do not accept force as it will discourage the creative entrepreneurs from starting their own business, and soon economy collapses for insufficient capitalists.

This is a huge blow against the nations that support capitalism, especially Western countries like United States, United Kingdom, etc,.

I would like to ask all seating judges: Do you think of free trade if your ideas are copied and distributed, worse for free and open-source? Will you rest in peace?
Preston

Con

"However, I would like to rebuke that the argument is an accusation against me, saying that I have claimed Apple to be the first smartphone in the world.

Hence, I am not obliged to respond to him on that matter."

My opponent is required to address this matter, If he/she Concedes this then they recognise that no one is copying apple at all but instead an alternative companies phone, i push this matter.

"As for the free market, I also agree with @Preston. I do not condemn but also encourage."
My opponent concedes this argument, meaning condemning an alternative company should not happen. This means he cannot fulfil the resolution and thus you vote neg.

My opponent still has not fulfilled the BOP or provided any sources to refute my argumentation, my sources are from professional organizations while his sources are majorly based on editable wikipedia entries, thus mine are superior and you vote neg
XPMai

Pro

I find it ridiculous to debate this. (first statement about Apple didn't release the first smartphone)

Here are my simplified arguments:

1. I have never argued iPhone is the first smartphone in the world.
    I only argue that the existence of Apple influence the future smartphones, that are designed exactly like the ideas/concepts of original iOS/iPhone.

2. I refer to low quality of smartphones before iPhone is released.
    The so-call smartphones were much far worse than Apple, or professionally they were very different before the first iPhone was released. Thus, identical smartphones/operating systems are clearly copied from iPhone/iOS respectively.
As for condemnation, I only encourage free market, but condemn the obligation of free market, which explained clearly few sentences afterwards.

Lastly, my sources (esp. Wikipedia) are corrected by the public, thus, more reliable than those editors/official. Note that the sources are outdated too.
Preston

Con

You will be voting neg for the following reasons:

1) Apple is not the original and thus there are no copycat smartphones.
Again as shown, apple is not the original thus there are no copycats, this shows the resolution holds no actual weight, this is uncontested and thus sides with neg.

2)Free Market
The Free Market is harmed if we remove products that came after apples iphone, and it doesnt matter if android draws from apple's business.

3)BOP
Ultimately you vote for con because pro has not proven the resolution. He has not shown why we should be condemning these phones, he has not shown impacts, or warrant for resolution, and since it was his responsibility to do so you will vote neg, Thankyou.
Posted by Preston 2 years ago
Preston
@EVERYONE WHO IS STILL COMMENTING,
The debate has concluded if you have any questions feel free to pm someone who is in the debate for further questions. Debate decissions should not be voted on based off your discussion with the contenders.

@XPMai
This: "This is a huge blow against the nations that support capitalism, especially Western countries like United States, United Kingdom, etc,."

and, "Worse, Android was declared to be free and open-source by Google. This affects Apple's sales a lot."

Doesn't even say it should be condemned, its simply showing a harm, you did not fulfil bop, pretty simple.

@cathaystewie:
my opponent never shows that they are copies of an apple piece, instead they show that others that are similar exist, Because apple is not the original you cannot claim peices are copies without supporting evidence. Because he couldn't do this and he couldn't provide BOP he loses, simple. Please PM either of us with Q's
Posted by XPMai 2 years ago
XPMai
"Also, why does Apple have to be the first smartphone in order for it to be copied?"

@cathaystewie, good question! Don't ask me, ask @Preston. He said so.

---

@Preston, I've already said: "This is a huge blow against the nations that support capitalism, especially Western countries like United States, United Kingdom, etc,."

Posted by cathaystewie 2 years ago
cathaystewie
@XPMai,

I was concerned with the lack of criterion because some may argue that companies are simply borrowing technology and referencing products from other corporations instead of straight up copying. But thank you for the clarification.

Also, why does Apple have to be the first smartphone in order for it to be copied?
Posted by Preston 2 years ago
Preston
You as PRO, hold a burden of proof, this burden required you to prove:
All copycat OS or phones of iOS and Apple respectively should be condemned.

You never did though.
Posted by Preston 2 years ago
Preston

You never did though.
Posted by XPMai 2 years ago
XPMai
@Preston, what do you mean? Can you elaborate?

@cathaystewie, I don't think a criterion is needed because everything are so clear.

But I did mention the criterion.

"In 2008, Android 1.0 was released, with the same concept: touch-screen. Features in the phone are also changed to icons, exactly like the iOS. As for phone layout, as a (noob) consumer, there are no difference. [2]"

[2]: https://en.wikipedia.org...
Posted by cathaystewie 2 years ago
cathaystewie
Hold on, just because Apple isn't the first phone of its kind doesn't necessarily mean that there cannot be copycat versions of it. (Please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm a bit confused on this matter). Entrepreneurs choose to copy something or adopt a product's blueprint based on its popularity/quality, not whether it is 100% original or revolutionary.

And what is the criterion for a copycat consumer product in the first place?
Posted by Preston 2 years ago
Preston
ok, but how does that prove the resolution?
Posted by XPMai 2 years ago
XPMai
I already told the impact of copycat, but seems like everybody are blur too.

"As for the free market, I also agree with @Preston. I do not condemn but also encourage.

This is a huge blow against the nations that support capitalism, especially Western countries like United States, United Kingdom, etc,."
Posted by Preston 2 years ago
Preston
Yea not really ;) legality is usually sound unless you provide a new interpretation.
Vote Placed by TheOpinionist 2 years ago
TheOpinionist
XPMaiPrestonTied
Reasons for voting decision: Preston said it better than I could "Ultimately you vote for con because pro has not proven the resolution. He has not shown why we should be condemning these phones, he has not shown impacts, or warrant for resolution, and since it was his responsibility to do so you will vote neg." Pro did not, in any way, affirm the resolution.