CrazieGuy
JRRS

All drugs should be legalized and regulated

CrazieGuy

Pro

Hello!

First round is for acceptance only please. This is meant to be a 3 round debate.

I am arguing that legalizing all drugs would be in the overall best interest of society.

Con must argue that legalizing drugs would have more of a negative impact on society than continuing our "war on drugs".

Note: I said "society", not "our society". I will be making arguments based on both national and international perspectives. (I.E., costs or benefits to other countries count as well).

JRRS

Con

Hello CrazieGuy! I'll be your opponent on this debate.

I'll argue that legalizing all drugs would have in the overall more negative impacts on society than good.

CrazieGuy

Pro

Welcome con; thanks for accepting my debate!

I will begin with my main points:

1. Prohibition has not only proven to be a failure in every scenario from drugs to prostitution and even gambling and dogfighting, but it has also been shown to increase associated violent crimes, poverty, thefts, and "crime rates", though artificial. No matter what drug we are talking about, prohibition doesn't work and exacerbates the problems.

2. Focusing on drugs now, prohibition has only increased drug usage by adding the forbidden fruit factor. Telling teens not to try drugs only makes them curius, especially when they see movies like half baked. It is OK that media outlets can profit off the subculture and convenience stores can sell bongs and blunts, but people get a criminal record for simple possession, fines, suspended license, and often jailtime.

3. By outlawing drugs, we effectively created a new and rather large group of criminals who are committing non - offensive violations. This has led to many more people being stuck in a cycle of perpetual poverty, unemployment, drug usage, a division can also lead to antisocial sentiments and behaviors (such as a resort to armed robbery).

4. drug laws are historically based in racism, and have resulted in a disproportionately negative effect on minority and poor communities. This is the modern day equivalent of slavery.

5. Other countries refer to us as the nation of incarceration. We dwarf other countries in how many of our citizens we lock up. It is the modern day equivalent of slavery.

6. Our government is one of the biggest entities which profits off drugs and alcohol through commodity taxes and lobbying.

7. Portugal legalized all drugs and emptied their prisons, invested in rehab programs and education. As a result, violent crime lowered, dangerous drug cartels left the country, and drug usage other than marinara declined. They make good tax income off it and save space in their jails for real criminals.
JRRS

Con

I presume this round is for main arguments. Ok, here are mine:

1- Legalizing drugs never worked. All places where drugs were legalized there have been an increase on it's consumption - even on harder drugs - and on crime rates related to their use. The Netherlands are a great example. Since the legalization of marijuana commercialization the crime rates related do drugs usage have been increasing. Therefore some Dutch cities got stricter in their drug policies and the Dutch government reduced the legal amount of possession for legal marijuana.

2- If you legalize the drug commerce you'll have to amnesty all crimes committed by the drug cartels over the past 30 years. The old drug dealers will now have the monopoly of the drug sell, since they know the points of distribution, etc. Since the drug's demand will only rise, these ex-criminals will become rich and influence on politics. Therefore you'll have a new upper class formed by gangsters. I admit that this scenario is harder to occur in the most developed countries, but it will be precisely the case for the Latin American ones.

3- If you legalize the drugs and not amnesty the crimes, than there will be a war against the legal drug commerce by the drug dealers. Again, this is more likely to occur in Latin America, where the FARC are more powerful.

4- The FARC. If you legalize the drugs in Latin America countries the FARC will have the monopoly of the distribution and the selling of the drugs. The FARC are not recognized as a terrorist organization by Brazil, Uruguay, Peru, Chile, Bolivia, Venezuela and Argentina. On the recent case of Uruguay, the FARC are already planting huge fields of marijuana to sell in Uruguay. Legalizing drugs in Latin America will only give the FARC more money, which will be used to finance it's terrorist activities.
CrazieGuy

Pro

CrazieGuy forfeited this round.
JRRS

Con

I'll wait for my opponent.
CrazieGuy

Pro

CrazieGuy forfeited this round.
JRRS

Con

Vote Con!
Posted by CrazieGuy 3 years ago
CrazieGuy
*marinjuana not marinara. ..hehe