All parents should be required to attend parenting classes before having a child.

1. argument claim
2. contention
3. conclusion/ rebuttal

I believe all parents should be required to participate in parenting courses before they produce young because it helps to give the child a better life, and a simpler one for the parents.

What if the parents intend to give the child up for adoption upon delivery? IF so what would be the point of classes to an already stressful situation.

Surveys show most pregnancies are unintended [1]. This again would be hard to arrange for classes in the right timely manner. A possible solution would be to make parenting classes part of the basic education of children prior o going into high school (or another grade set by government). Though I am pro to people in generally being taught basic child care such as the proper Heimlich maneuver on infants. and how to change diapers and limit the spread of illness. I am CON to the idea of parenting classes. These classes would have a curriculum more than naught based on opinions I may or may not share. Placing young adults in a classroom and being presented with such information would cause them to unduly assign an authority to the type of parenting being taught.

The type of parenting being taught would be the kind of practices preached about by varying groups that fail. Such techniques as reasoning with your child like they are an adult. For young ages like 2 this is like talking to a brick wall. There is little to any evidence that these new age tactics are any better.

I prefer the way it is done. My parents raised me. I know what I want to keep from how they did it and I know what I dropped.

"Surveys show most pregnancies are unintended" - Do you have evidence to prove such an accusation?
"I prefer the way it is done. My parents raised me. I know what I want to keep from how they did it and I know what I dropped." -But your opinion differs from others. If the parents are thinking about adoption, then they aren't ready for a child. But these classes will indeed prepare them for when they are ready for one, or might help them to ensure they are making the correct choice. You stated unintended pregnancies would be hard to arrange for classes in the right timely manner and I have a hard time comprehending this statement because a pregnancy last for merely 9 months or about 40 weeks. I can conclude that any person can find the time of day to take simple parenting courses within the time span of 9 months. According to the human sciences of OSU, an infant parenting class ranges around 10 weeks. You claimed that these classes would be based on opinions and that the information being taught would be unduly, and unsuccessful, but that is actually an opinion itself. Others have gained insight and valuable information from such classes and to just rule them out without citing any evidence that this type of parenting class will be a failure is a preposterous assumption. These kinds of classes can bring extra information to even people who believe that they know it all. I believe any extra information learned will help to raise an infant.

More than half of pregnancies are unintended. (

These classes do provide some valuable information. I stated this in my first round when advocating everyone learn basic child health care and first aid.

These classes should be voluntary instead of mandatory. In the U.S. some states require parenting classes for a divorce to proceed.

Such a law requiring parenting classes would be unenforceable on ethical grounds. If the punishment should fit the crime what would the punishment be for failing to attend a class when the biology of the matter will still produce a child. Do we as a society take the baby away until such a class is completed? Surely not the punishment would be to harsh for the non-attendance.

The requirement is enforceable in situations of divorce because the legal proceedings can be postponed until compliance is met.

Our rights as citizens are being eroded away by big government. The right to rear my children as I see fit ((in the scope of not performing an illegal action)) are protected by the 14th amendment (

I would see such a requirement in and of itself as a violation of supreme court ruling protecting the parental rights. Again how could it be enforced while preserving these rights. (

"Parents have comparable interests under our state constitutional protections of liberty and privacy rights. "The right to the custody and control of one's child is a fiercely guarded right in our society and in our law. It is a right that should be infringed upon only under the most compelling circumstances." Brooks v. Parkerson Georgia Supreme Court (1995) I see no compelling circumstance to require the classes. Additional education is not compelling. In no more that Driver Education classes are not required prior to applying for a drivers license. Certainly a lot of good information is in such courses and potentially could prevent many accidents. I argue driving kills more people than people having babies.

The right to vote is applied to all adults naturalized or born in the U.S. If we review the many court cases and amendments to protect this right, we see the court so the potential abuse of government if voters were subjected to voting tests. The same slippery slope is analogous to government requiring such parenting classes.

Where would the funds for mandatory classes come from. funds would be needed for materials and class worker. Consider the national birth rate just for the U.S. ( 88 births for 1000 women in Utah. Combine this with 35 births a day. A classroom would have a steady supply of students and need full time support. I could not find any facts to support how much this would cost but given the history of government ran programs I can surmise it would not be cheap.

To pass this cost onto the parents would be an exuberant charge for a biological fact of life. What about parents already unable to pay for basic care, Britain just released a news article that a 12 year old gave birth ( Do the tax payers pay for these incidents?

The case for requiring parenting classes is unenforceable, unsustainable financially, encroaches on parental rights and is a slippery slope for government control. To those that choose to pay the cost the additional education is worth the price. But this should be voluntary for the masses.

In your first round you stated that you are pro to people being taught basic child care such as the Heimlich maneuver, but you said the parenting classes being taught would be the kinds of practices that fail. I ask, have you been to a parenting class? Do you have evidence that the majority of the people who attend these classes learn no new knowledge or insight of the matter?

With over half of the pregnancies being unattended, that just reinforces the fact that if the pregnancy was unattended then they aren't ready for a child. Classes can help them to understand how to care for a baby. I understand you have come to the conclusion that parenting courses should not be mandatory, but instead voluntary. The United States already offers multiple kinds of voluntary classes and as we both can see, that did not help the fact that over half of women pregnancies in the United States are indeed unattended.

If non-attendance was a problem, the outcome wouldn't be taking away the baby because that is false dichotomy. "If non-attendance is an issue, they'll take the baby away, therefore making parenting courses mandatory is bad." Surely the outcome of such a simple issue wouldn't be such a severity.

Our rights may be eroding away by the government, but that does not correlate to the 14th amendment or our independent rights as U.S citizens. Parenting courses is not such a class that will demand punishment if people proceed to teach their children by their own means. Parenting courses simply helps to give an understanding of what is going to happen, what to expect, and how to deal with situations to new parents, or soon to be parents. If parents should come to not see these teachings fit for themselves, they are more than welcome to raise their children how ever they wish or desire.

The only reasonable way to ensure every parent a class, costs would be more than likely be inserted into tax pay. Your next argument may be that it is unfair to the people who don't want to take the classes or who aren't even going to need to take the classes to have to pay for such a thing. People already believe that their tax pay is going down the drain and not being used for the right purposes. Ensuring that these classes do help will help them to better understand that the tax money is going towards a good cause throughout the U.S. The pregnant 12 year old girl is exactly the type who would require the class the most. The headlines of that article had the father saying that he was "proud". Apparently that father wasn't any sort of help at all, he should have explained to his daughter how it was going to affect her in a negative way and how she should prevent that from happening again, rather than stating he was proud. That more than likely made the daughter believe that it was okay. The type of parenting that some teens endure is not a very responsible kind, this is why teens are the main targets for these parenting classes. There is about 30 teen births per every 1000 population. Classes may inform these teens on something that their parents did not teach them that may or may not have led to them having the baby.

Parenting courses overall can help to inform new parents with valuable information that will help the child have a much more successful life. Parents may be more aware of bullying, and how to take care of the matter. They will know how to manage stress that may help to prevent child abuse. They will also learn a different way to discipline teenagers, if they find that information valuable it can help to prevent further pregnancy, violence, and abuse of alcohol or drugs. "Unlock the knowledge you already hold and share your wisdom with others. These classes teach effective communication and disciplinary skills for parenting children, from birth to young adulthood. Parenting classes and seminars emphasize positive approaches to discipline and build upon parents' strengths. They are available in the Denver metro area. Classes vary in length from 3 to 12 weeks and teach basic parenting skills. Some classes focus on the specific needs of parents of toddlers or adolescents or single parents, while others work well for parents with children of any age."
There aren't any rights being revoked in the participation of these classes. These classes simply prepare you for what to expect and how to deal with it. If a parent does not like the way he or she was taught then they're more than welcome to raise their child however they would like. In fact these classes welcome new knowledge and encourage it to be revealed and spread.;

I want to think my opponent for a good debate. I really appreciate the effort they put forward. I'll keep my closing round brief.

PRO makes the statement "With over half of the pregnancies being unattended, that just reinforces the fact that if the pregnancy was unattended then they aren't ready for a child."
- Where is proof there is a connection between unintended pregnancy and a lack of parenting classes?

"Parenting courses is not such a class that will demand punishment if people proceed to teach their children by their own means."
- Then is the course is ineffective for changing parenting practices what practical value will it have. With no practical value why should the Tax payers pay for such instruction. If we look at evidence as compounded by the people at Freakanomics ( It is summarized as "For parents"and parenting experts"who are obsessed with child-rearing technique, this may be sobering news. The reality is that technique looks to be highly overrated." In another Freakonomic episode what was discovered is that parents who buy a lot of parenting books don't make better parents. IN fact they were good parents to begin with, and being interested in parenting and learning what they could they then purchased parenting books.

"They will also learn a different way to discipline teenagers, if they find that information valuable it can help to prevent further pregnancy, violence, and abuse of alcohol or drugs" - I fail to see the correlation your making. But because this is the last round I can't expect you to answer. Just that problems like alcohol and drug abuse don't always stem from parenting issues. Case in point: Some abusive alcoholic parents have produced sober law abiding citizens. And the reverse is true that some Law abiding parents have produced drug abusers.

I think your arguments go to establishing parenting classes as a valuable source of parenting information. But the topic at hand is debate if it should be mandatory. I extend the arguments I made in round 2 as supporting that such classes should remain voluntary. In the making them mandatory would too great an expenditure of funds to justify the affect. That the outcome does not support a substantial enough incentive to broaden he power of government in such a fashion.

Thank you again for this opportunity.
Posted by bustercherry 2 years ago
Posted by edibleshrapnel 2 years ago
According to that outdated article you provided con, 49% of pregnancies were unintended, that means that the majority IS intended.
Posted by Mhykiel 2 years ago
oops [1] is

Thank you
Posted by Carthage 2 years ago
Con, could you cite your evidence? I think it was an honest mistake, as you put (1), and then I guess forgot to put the evidence at the end before posting. Thanks!