DouggyFresh
techguy1001

All shoes should be velcro, rather than tie-up.

techguy1001

DouggyFresh

Pro

Velcro is superior to laces.
Laces need to be replaced when the aglet (plastic tip) becomes frayed and broken, and the lace cannot fit through the eye anymore.
Laces take much longer to tie initially, and can become undone throughout the day, causing a safety hazard, a nuisance, and further wasting time.
Replacing laces is costly, and detriment to the environment, since plastic production requires crude oil.
People would never have their shoelaces tied together as a prank, because velcro makes a characteristic sound when disengaged.

I conclude that velcro is a superior technology to laces in regards to shoe tightening ability, and should completely replace them in the consumer marketplace.
techguy1001

Con

I'm very new to debating, so understand that please :)

Anywho, I disagree. Laces are a classic way of tying shoes. It's something good to know how to do, since tying knots is very useful in many other situations. Also, laces are tighter. Velcro can only get so tight, and once that little strip overshoots the end of the strip on the shoe, now what? OH NO!!! My shoes aren't tight enough. So now, you have to put it as tight as it possibly goes (which looks kind of crazy, in most cases, since the velcro connector ends up hanging off the side of the shoe).

With laces, on the other hand, the you can tighten those laces through different loops to make them tighter in different places, and, most importantly, you can tie them as tight as you want / can.

VOTE LACES.
DouggyFresh

Pro

This is also one of my first debates, so I accept that the finer rules of debating will not be strictly adhered to.

However, may I point out that since I am the instigator, and am arguing that a change in the status quo is required, I am thus required to prove my case sufficiently, otherwise the opposition will win by default. This means that Con does not need to raise any new points (although they may if they choose to), but they are required to rebut my premises (supporting statements to the argument). If they do not specifically state they disagree with the statements, the statements will stand unchallenged and should weigh in my favor.

This being said, I'll give Con another round to refute any of the premises stated in round 1 if he wishes to, but if he does not refute them in round 2, I will not accept a round 3 rebuttal to a round 1 statement.

I agree that knot tying is a very useful skill in many situations.
However, I argue that the type of knot used in shoe lace tying is not very useful in many other situations, and I challenge Con to provide proof that the knot learned in shoe tying can be very useful in many other situations. Since Con made this statement, it is his burden to offer proof and or a strong argument to show that it is true.

{If I were to state that I have a hot tub in my backyard filled with wrestling naked supermodels and 50 gallons of KY jelly (none of which are true, sadly) it is my obligation to provide evidence or strong arguments supporting this claim, and a statement showing relevance to this debate. Otherwise, Con would be able to very easily dispute this statement.} :)

Con states that laces are tighter than velcro.
I do not disagree with this statement.
However, this debate is not about which of the two can be tightened more, and nor should it be. I'm sure a wire cable could be tightened past the point of cutting off circulation, and indeed would rip through the eyes of the shoe, which is an undesirable result when fastening shoes.

Con states that "the little strip overshoots the end of the strip on the shoe" and explains this will result in the shoe not being tight enough. But he contradicts this statement by stating this problem is solved by "put[ting] it as tight as it possibly goes". The disadvantage to this being it "looks kind of crazy".
I argue that laces cause a similar, if not worse predicament.

The tighter the laces are on a shoe, the more extra lace you have when tying them. In order to tie shoes, this extra lace results in large loops, which can be a safety hazard, unless they are tucked in in some crazy looking manner.
http://www.longcountdown.com...
This evidence shows proof that balances and thus negates Con's arguments that velcro creates a situation where one must choose between tightness or not looking "crazy", since shoe laces cause a similar situation.

Con states that shoes with laces can be tightened at different places in the shoe, to customize comfort and fit.
I do not dispute this statement.
I do, however, provide evidence that velcro offers a similar, if not superior solution to this problem. Most velcro shoes have more than 1 strap, and thus you can tighten different places in the shoe.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com...
http://www.tillys.com...

Additionally, the process for adjusting the velcro straps at different positions of the shoe does not necessitate an adjustment of any of the other straps. With laced shoes, you have to untie and loosen the top laces before attempting to adjust the laces closer to the toe, then tighten all the laces again, wasting a lot of time.

I have shown that Con's arguments are unjustified and in some cases, untrue.
I conclude that all shoes should use Velco instead of laces.
techguy1001

Con

God, what a text wall. Anyway, sorry for not rebutting your previous statements, I will do so now... so here goes....
"Laces need to be replaced when the aglet (plastic tip) becomes frayed and broken, and the lace cannot fit through the eye anymore."
-Agreed, I have no direct argument against this, however, with Velcro, it can be the same way. I had myself some Velcro shoes a while back, and after about 3 months, the little connecting Velcro strips began to become frayed and useless, and no longer strongly grabbed hold of its mount. And, not to mention, I had those babies for 3 months, and had become useless, and I've had the same shoes for nearly 2 years, and their aglet still remains.
"Laces take much longer to tie initially, and can become undone throughout the day, causing a safety hazard, a nuisance, and further wasting time."
-That is true, however I believe that this minor downfall is nothing compared to the other issues of Velcro.
"Replacing laces is costly, and detriment to the environment, since plastic production requires crude oil."
-I disagree with this statement in every way possible. Firstly, replacing laces is not costly, not nearly as much as Velcro is to replace. I can buy a nice looking new pair of laces for under $5 from my local shoe store. Also, what makes you think that laces is a detriment to the environment? And Velcro isn't?!?! Laces are about 99% cotton, and 1% plastic. Velcro, on the other hand, is probably 40% fabric, 60% plastic, since in the common marketplace, nearly all of the Velcro is made out of common PLASTICS such as nylon or polyester. (http://www.velcro.com...). And, don't say that Velcro is replaced far less than laces, since, as stated above, Velcro often wears out as fast or faster than laces.
I would also like to bring something up about a quote the instigator wrote in his previous argument: "However, this debate is not about which of the two can be tightened more, and nor should it be. I'm sure a wire cable could be tightened past the point of cutting off circulation, and indeed would rip through the eyes of the shoe, which is an undesirable result when fastening shoes."
-You stated that this debate is not about which of the two can be tightened more. True, it's not. However, this debate is regarding that Velcro is BETTER than tie-up. And, a relevant topic would be the tightening ability of the two fasteners. Also, I don't see how your bringing up of the wire cable is at all relevant to the topic. Sure, if I were to take a wire cable as my shoe-lace, it would indeed cause an undesirable result.... but this debate is not, "All shoes should be Velcro, rather than ... Wire Cables..."

I would also like to point out and add into the mix of things here, that, 90% of the time, when you see advertisements on TV or at shoe stores for Velcro shoes, who are they for? CHILDREN. Velcro and laces are so similar, and, in my opinion, laces are far better, so why would you want to give up on the traditions that people have been using for generations? Laces are tighter, they're more economically and environmentally efficient, they look better, they feel better, and they are all around better.

Therefore, Laces are superior.
DouggyFresh

Pro

DouggyFresh forfeited this round.
techguy1001

Con

techguy1001 forfeited this round.
Posted by Anayansi 4 years ago
Anayansi
I suggest making this part of the Presidential Ballot. It is a great idea
Posted by DouggyFresh 4 years ago
DouggyFresh
May I clarify, shoes with neither velcro, nor laces are not a component of this debate.
Thus, I'm not arguing that ALL shoes should be velcro, merely that all shoes that have the option to be laced, should instead use velcro.
Vote Placed by vmpire321 4 years ago
vmpire321
DouggyFreshtechguy1001Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Hmm. Interesting debate. However, I'd much rather have a shoe that can at the very least, tighten. Velcro can get screwed up and useless, while laces only get their tips frayed. Being able to tighten > not being able to. Tying your shoes also allow you to practice skill...