CCLaity33
SenatorZhen

All students in Australia be given NEP's (Negotiated Education Plains)

SenatorZhen

CCLaity33

Pro

As a child with asperger's syndrome who attended public schooling i got a first hand look at just how messed up the public schooling system in Australia really is, Now i'm not saying that i wasn't an intellectual at school...And i'm not saying that i was "ducks of the class" either, But what i am saying is that if it wasn't for my NEP school would have been a lot harder for me then it already was.

I often find that the old "One size fits all" approach to the public education system has been taken and that what John may be able to learn, it is expected that Jim can learn it in the same way to.

Neurological science has proven time and time again that it is conclusive fact that ALL children learn in different ways, the very degrees even more for children with ADHD or ADD...well really any autistic "disability".

My argument is that EVERY student in Australia should be given an NEP, so that they can learn and develop the knowledge they are required to learn in their own individual ways thus unlocking the potential to achieve their maximum neurological ceiling.
SenatorZhen

Con

Hello CCLaity, I look forward to a good debate with you.

First of all, I'd like to congratulate you for overcoming disability and being able to succeed in school. For anyone, that is a great accomplishment.

However, what I construed from your argument is that there would be legislation passed that mandates that EVERY student in Australia should be given an NEP. Of course, there may be many benefits that are associated with the NEP, but you are basically trying to replace the old "One size fits all" approach with a new "one size fits all" approach.

One of the points you use for your argument is that "neurological science has proven time and time again that it is conclusive fact that ALL children learn in different ways". If that is true, wouldn't replacing one blanket approach with a new blanket approach not really negate the problem at hand?

Just like in Australia, this was and still is a big issue in the United States, from No Child Left Behind to Common Core. What we can clearly see from these examples is that an attempt to standardize education usually produces lesser results than what we expect.

I don't have an opinion on whether the NEP is good or not, but if we were to implement it, we should establish a NEP program within Australian schools but keep the status quo to ensure that students will have more options to choose from: NEP or traditional. School choice is a better alternative.
CCLaity33

Pro

CCLaity33 forfeited this round.
SenatorZhen

Con

I am sad that CCLaity chose to forfeit. However, I stand my case and look forward to his rebuttals.
CCLaity33

Pro

CCLaity33 forfeited this round.
SenatorZhen

Con

As we have not been able to have an actual debate, I stand by my claims. Vote on the Negation.
Vote Placed by lannan13 3 years ago
lannan13
CCLaity33SenatorZhenTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture